Favorite Fantasy Novels

Just wanted to hear about some of your favorite fantasy novels.

11 Likes

Ooh this is a good one, especially because I’m in the market for some new fantasy recs.

Some of my favorites are the more obvious Harry Potter and Game of Thrones, but recently I’ve been getting into some more YA fantasy like the Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir, the Empirium Trilogy by Claire Legrand (Book 2 out in May!), and The Grisha Trilogy/Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo (haven’t gotten to Crooked Kingdom yet).

Oh, and does Outlander count? I love those. More historical than full fantasy, but there are definitely fantasy aspects.

17 Likes

Ooooo
I’m a die hard Terry Brooks fan! Well his Shannara universe at least. He’s what got me into fantasy, and I have all of his books which … is a lot … I’d pick one series, but they’re all so intertwined and build off each other, it’s tough! So either the original Sword of Shannara trilogy (which now has a prequel making it four books) or the Genesis of Shannara trilogy!
Anything by Brandon Sanderson tbh I’m in love with the Mistborn trilogy though.

For YA fantasy I’m obligated to mention Rick Riordan, but honestly Tamora Pierce!!! The Song of the Lioness is the first series set in the Tortall universe, but I enjoy all of them!

12 Likes

I’ve been wanting to read the shannara series for a while, but I don’t know where to start.

7 Likes

More magical realism than true fantasy, but I a d o r e “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern. Also seconding the Six of Crows books. I’m only about 25% of the way through, but I’m really liking “The Gilded Wolves” by Roshani Chokshi. Also, more urban fantasy I guess (and it DEFINITELY comes with a trigger warning so be careful), but I liked “Price Guide to the Occult” by Leslye Walton. Also also “Graceling” by Krisin Cashore…been a while since I read it but I remember loving it a lot.

11 Likes

DID YOU KNOW ERIN MORGENSTERN IS COMING OUT WITH A SECOND BOOK FINALLY

10 Likes

Leaving this here

15 Likes

YES!!! I’M SO EXCITED!!!

9 Likes

Some people might find them hokey, but I’ve really enjoyed Jim Butcher’s Dresden series. Haven’t read his other series, though.

10 Likes

What’s the Night Circus about? It sounds interesting.

5 Likes

Aside from Narnia and Harry Potter (which I was raised on and still love), The Lies of Locke Lamora and subsequent books are some of my favorites. It’s like Leverage but in a fantasy world (i.e. fantasy con artist team). I also really enjoy Patrick Rothfuss’s Name of the Wind, Ursula LeGuin’s Tales of Earthsea, and Garth Nix’s Abhorsen trilogy (which is not a trilogy anymore but whatever). The Minecraft faction I play in is actually named for Ancelstierre in that series. :blush:

14 Likes

UMMM, how have we never talked about the Abhorsen series? It’s actually my favorite fantasy series. I have the full series now, but I need to read the newest two.

13 Likes

@Remus I DON’T KNOW but we’re here now, thank goodness. :joy:

10 Likes

So many… The Dresden Files, LOTR, The Mathew Swift books by Kate Griffin, Harry Potter. The Paper Magician books were new for me. The Woodcutter was fresh take on the old Fairy Tales. Oh, and the PC Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. To name a few.

13 Likes

I’ve been meaning to get into The Paper Magician series, thanks for the reminder!

11 Likes

I read the Swift series a while back - it was fun!

8 Likes

I read one of the Dresden Files books and loved it, but haven’t been able to find the others. My library system is pitiful when it comes to fantasy, but has an endless selection of Amish romances :aethereyeroll:

9 Likes

You can have my copies! I probably won’t be re-reading them. PM me your info (if you’re comfortable doing so) and I’ll send them out in the next few weeks!

10 Likes

:cjheart:

6 Likes

I know it gets a lot of flack for copying, but I really enjoyed the Eragon books (The Inheritance Cycle) by Christopher Paolini! I was pretty young when I started them, and they’ve just stuck with me! I loved the Abhorsen series too and I can never find people who know what they are! I was so excited to see them brought up here! I mentioned The Guardian Vambrace by H Jane Harrington in the other thread, but its a fantasy book I love, so I thought I’d bring it up again here! :smiley:

P.S I didn’t know Outlander was a series (I haven’t seen the show but I know the basic plot) and I am SHOOK. My historical fiction heart is super happy. goes to buy all of them

13 Likes