Calling All Language-Learners!

Yeah! I’m mostly excited to read out loud great works of text like The Iliad and The Odyssey in their original tongue. The way they were meant to be ridden. The college I’ll be attending has Greek as a mandatory language for two years, then after that two years of French. So I finally get to redeem myself.

5 Likes

I found this recently and thought it was really interesting! What do you guys think about it?

14 Likes

Thats a really good set of words to know to be able to get around in any language. You do also have to know how the language is structured of course, though sometimes just sticking the words together can get your point across in a tight situation

7 Likes

Learning languages is my favourite hobby! I’m Scottish, so fluent in Scots and English (native tongues). Fluent in Spanish too. I’m working hard on Polish at the moment, I’m about A2 level I think. My French is pretty decent, I’ve been learning it on and off since I first learned to read! I also have basic Russian, Norwegian, Finnish, Scottish Gaelic and German. Still waiting for Finnish to be added to Duolingo so I can really get my teeth into it, resources are scant.

10 Likes

Hey, sounds a lot like me. If you ever want to practice Polish I’m around B1-B2 level at the moment.

7 Likes

Świetne! :smiley: sounds good.

5 Likes

I can speak a decent amount of several kinds of English and Castillian Spanish. My German is new and my Korean is newer. I don’t have many people to practice with at present but I’m always happy to learn more communication and meet more people!

8 Likes

I do know a fair bit of German if you feel like trying to chat sometime, feel free to message me.

4 Likes

native english speaker here, and learned a bit of japanese when i was a kid when japanese family married in. i’m a little better at reading/conjugation, but i’ve forgotten a lot over the years. i probably have super basic conversational responses down, but can read a little beyond that- i would probably hazard i can remember maybe the first hundred or two basic kanji, and hiragana and katakana. it would be super cool to study with someone at some point!

i also started studying french and romanian for funsies, both of which are a little strange to me but i can at least remember as i go- although i’ve only really got like bare minimum in understanding, though!

11 Likes

Hellooo, my original language is English and i can speak and hear very basic Catalan. I want to learn more and spanish as well! I’ve just finished a course for teaching English as a foreign language and loved it. Language learning has opened so much knowledge about my own language as well as others!!

8 Likes

Woof, I’m a bit late to this! I’m a native English speaker (US), but I’m close to fluent in French! I’ve been learning French since 2012, and I actually just got back from a semester abroad in Senegal. I also speak some German (though my university just cut our program, sp I’ll have to find other ways to learn) and a very small amount of Wolof. I’m planning to start learning Scots soon, though!

10 Likes

What kind of language is Wolof?

3 Likes

Hey! What course did you take for TEFL? I’m an ESL teacher as well!
I use the acronyms interchangeably tbh.

4 Likes

I did a CELTA, completed it about a week ago and cannot wait to finish my degree and work!! What did you you?

6 Likes

Nice!
I actually went the long route and got a Bachelors in TESL. I’d like to get certified to teach in the states, but that’s a long ways off.

4 Likes

That’s so cool!! I want to do a masters in TEFL and applied linguistics when I finished my degree because my celta was too short and I want to learn more!

5 Likes

I’m a native Scots speaker, so if you ever need any help, let me know! I recommend trying to get your hands on copies of Oor Wullie and The Broons comic books, or Irvine Welsh novels, they will help immerse you in the language!

9 Likes

I’m a native English speaker (NZ), but I speak/can read passable Spanish and some Japanese (both of which I am still learning through Duolingo).
I also know a smattering of Te Reo, Latin, Greek, Yorkshire, German and French, and the best insult in Klingon.
I’m hoping to become more fluent in Te Reo and Japanese, but am going over Cantonese pleasantries at the moment to prep for a trip to Hong Kong :slight_smile:

7 Likes

15 Likes

Love that!

2 Likes