Calling All Language-Learners!

I’m a native English speaker (NZ), but I speak/can read passable Spanish and some Japanese (both of which I am still learning through Duolingo).
I also know a smattering of Te Reo, Latin, Greek, Yorkshire, German and French, and the best insult in Klingon.
I’m hoping to become more fluent in Te Reo and Japanese, but am going over Cantonese pleasantries at the moment to prep for a trip to Hong Kong :slight_smile:

7 Likes

15 Likes

Love that!

2 Likes

It’s a language spoken in West Africa, mostly in Senegal and the Gambia. I learned it for a semester while studying abroad!

5 Likes

Ooo, thanks for the recommendations! I’m not sure when I’ll start learning, but I’ll be sure to start there!

3 Likes

Oh cool, sounds interesting!

2 Likes

My first language is Afrikaans & I moved to an English-speaking country from South Africa when I didn’t speak English so learning it was my top priority. I was really young but keeping a journal helped me a lot because I would notice the words that the other children spoke most often & I would continue to write them down until I discerned their meaning. My Mum also helped me learn by giving me flash cards & playing scrabble :joy:
Other than that I learned a little German, French & Latin throughout various parts of my schooling career (most of which I’ve probably forgotten)

9 Likes

So I’m not how many of us regularly use Duolingo, but would folks be interested in adding each other on there to encourage each other?

9 Likes

I used to use it a lot more, but I’ve started using other resources lately since some languages on Doulingo are limited when it comes to explanation. I wouldn’t mind adding people for if I start using it again though.

4 Likes

I’ll post my user name when I can be bothered to remember it.

3 Likes

Mine’s ColeRichar11

3 Likes

oooof I just deleted duolingo because I couldn’t remember my e-mail or password for it, which really shows how often I use it
right now I’m mostly using Drops, Write It! Korean and Memrise to try and learn something. So far, I can count to ten, so it’s improvement.

7 Likes

Drops is good once you have a solid base in a language, I’ve used it a little bit for Polish. I found that I quickly forgot the things I had learned though. Memrise is a good one

5 Likes

Luckily Drops starts Korean with the alphabet, so I have at least a slight chance of learning it. I agree, though, I don’t really remember much. Hopefully repeating lessons will help me.

5 Likes

I feel that learning words in a sentence helps with being able to recall them later. I think having context gives the brain something to grasp onto when learning new words, rather than just a bunch of exclusively new information. I know people who learn well from Drops though. You really have to find what works best for you when in comes to languages.

4 Likes

Native : American English
I took two years of Spanish in high school and can hold my own but I’m not quite fluent. I’m also learning German and Gaelic

6 Likes

German is great and in my opinion fairly easy for native English speakers, word order being the main complication. Gaelic makes my head spin.

7 Likes

What resource are you using for Gaelic?

4 Likes

I use Duolingo and my clan since I’m actually mostly Scottish.

9 Likes

I had four years of German in high school, learned it so sis and I would have a language to speak that neither parent would understand :laughing: Also my paternal grandmother’s ancestors were mostly German. Now wishing for career security that we’d gone Spanish instead

8 Likes