Calling All Language-Learners!

Omg Conlangs definitely count! I think it’s so cool when people know these and can speak them!

2 Likes

In that case, I tried teaching myself to write one of the elvish languages back in middle school, and the Atlantean alphabet from that limited time cereal box back when Journey to Atlantis was in theaters.

5 Likes

Okay, so I was learning Welsh and French in school (took French to AS-Level), learned some Italian and German from music, picked up a little Spanish from years holidaying in Majorca, and tried to learn both Sindarin and Quenya for fanfictions So yeah, lot of languages I need to continue learning…

Edit: Also picked up a couple of words of Greek and Latin from studying Classics

8 Likes

Native: American English
Other: grew up speaking Korean, but FAR from fluent
Took four years of German
Duolingo: Spanish, German, Italian, Russian
I would LOVE to learn Welsh Gaelic.
And HOW do you tell the difference between letters in rapid morse?

8 Likes

Well it does depend on how fast the code is being sent and on whether it is a human or machine doing the sending.
The international average speed is 20 wpm(words per minute), which is moderate.
Before I graduated Morse Interceptor Course at Ft. Huachuca, I was up to 26 wpm copy speed.
Even at that speed, the trained ear can hear the pauses between letters and words.
And the level of training I’m talking about is listening to Morse five days a week and eight hours a day for six months straight.
As for the difference between human and machine sending, a human’s sending is more irregular so sometimes it can be hard to hear the characters even at slower speeds.

7 Likes

I know Spanish, English, Cajun French, Italian, and work on learning Japanese.
I like to say that Cajun French is my native language because that is what I grow up speaking more than English. Even though I’m from America, growing up in my hometown, it was more likely to hear a causal conversation in Cajun French.
Also, I’m from a half-French half-Italian family so my grandparents taught me Italian when I was little. I would always try and impress them by speaking to them in Italian whenever I could. So I learned the language pretty quickly. Because of this, I could speak three languages by the time I was in high school. In high school, I learned Spanish. And in college, I started to learn Japanese.
(P.s. Cajun French is not the same as modern French. There is a difference)

9 Likes

Here’s a funny question for you bilingual folk, what language do you think in?

7 Likes

I speak English UK, untill brain fog hits and then it’s a jumble of cursewhat’s the word I wantcurse
I’m attempting to learn Welsh, dwin dysgu araf.
My French, BSL and Morse code are very rusty!
Fictionals, I can write in High Galifreyan and tell a joke in elven(not sure which derivative, not Tolkien)

7 Likes

I don’t think in language? Unless I’m remembering someone saying something. Mostly it’s just feelings and images until conversation forces me to assign words to individual thoughts

4 Likes

My mother tongue is English English from England, and I’m learning Swedish, Greek and Korean! If anyone wants to message me in any of those languages (esp swedish since that’s my focus language at the moment) I’d love to practice together. I use duolingo a lot, and I read books in the languages I’m learning to try and make it more natural in my head.

7 Likes

Well it’s like you think in both languages and simultaneously don’t think in ether language. I will have these moments when I’m speaking in full English and then what I say will come out in Cajun French. Like this one time, one of my friends showed me this painting she did and I turn to her to ask her what it was and I said “Qu’est-ce que c’est?” Which means what is it? And I just looked at her like her expecting an answer even though she didn’t understand but I just said until I realize I set it in French two seconds later. If I not careful I sometimes switch between the two it’s just natural for me. It’s sad what is happening to the Cajun French language.

8 Likes

I actually think in Chinese a fair bit. At one point, I would make a goal to think things through in Chinese as practice, and now sometimes I’ll react in Chinese first! It actually made it kind of difficult when I need to use to French because my default non-English language had been Chinese for so long that sometimes I’d go to say something in French and very nearly say it in Chinese :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Right now I’m learning French, Greek, and Japanese. I use Duolingo, and I’m most advanced in French right now, as it’s the easiest for me to focus on. I’m not sure why, but at the beginning of this year, 2019, I was overcome with a desire to learn Greek. But as people have said, it’s hard to learn a language when you don’t have a everyday place to actually use it. Way back in the day, I wanted to learn Sanskrit. Maybe someday. As for now I’d like to focus mainly on French and Greek. Bonne nuit à tous!

5 Likes

I have rare instances where I think in French. But I have to actually make an effort most of the time. But, I will say I may not think in French, but I can hear the French. For example, if I turn the volume down to a certain level, on the TV or my laptop, where I can’t quite make out the words, I’d swear they start talking in French! My brain takes the English words and sounds and somehow can make them into French annunciations and vocal fluxes. It’s eerie sometimes. One of the first times it happened I was watching the news, and somehow it seemed to switch entirely to French! I wasn’t really paying attention, just kind of watching it without thinking, so I didn’t realize until something flashed on the screen that caught my interest, and when I started paying attention, I actually had to question if they were speaking in French! A bit weird and random, but I thought you’d find it interesting. And I’m curious if anyone else has had this experience.

5 Likes

Hey all! I’m a bit of a language geek so I had to pop into this discussion! Not long ago I did a linguistic anthropology course that spoke about how humans gained language(s) as we evolved and it’s absolutely fascinating stuff. I particularly love etymology and how languages have influenced each other and grown into new languages. My latest favourite is how the Greek suffix -logy (psychology, anthropology) is often translated as ‘the study of’ but can also be translated as ‘the story of’ which I think is beautiful, and maybe relevant to this community.

I’m a native English/French Canadian speaker, but have picked up some Spanish along the way. I’m about to spend seven months in China so I’ll need to pick up some Mandarin too methinks. Any advice where to start with that one @Tinker?

@Matty — I can’t say I’ve heard of this specifically but I love it! The closest I do know of is that I’ve run into several people who seem to be more fluent in French after a couple drinks than when they’ve got their whole wits about them. Perhaps some subconscious part of your brains is more attuned to certain languages and maybe it comes out more when you’re not paying full conscious attention to them? That’s a kneejerk theory, anyway… :thinking:

8 Likes

I found an app called HelloChinese a while ago that I felt helped me learn pretty quickly, but I didn’t commit to it for very long so I forgot a lot of what I learned. It’s free so there’s no harm in checking it out, but different resources work well for different people.

5 Likes

I’m late with my reply but hey! Learning Swedish too! I’d love to try writing back and forth a bit, though I’m nowhere near fluent yet :smiley:

4 Likes

Hm…I guess it depends on what you’re looking for right away and where in China you’re going (I know a lot of people from my Uni’s study abroad get by in Shanghai with no language background)…but I’m strongly in favor of foreigners learning the language and how to read characters (that’s a whole rant and a half), but to get you started something more listening-based might be good. There used to be an audiobook series on iTunes (back in the olden times) that was “Survival Phrases (insert language)”…something like that would be a good start. If you want something more immersive, Encounters Chinese is the program I was hinting at above that has all sorts of media connected to the book (there’s a tv drama and tons of audio stuff). I can only speak on the quality of the intermediate/advanced series, but the topics were all really practical and conversational and they give a TON of vocab.

tl;dr: start with a crash-course audio program to get you started, but Encounters Chinese is a fantastic fluency-building program

6 Likes

Thanks for that! We’ll be visiting twelve cities in total for my job, and we’ll have local workers in each city, so hopefully they’ll get to show me round. But it’s exactly those survival phrases that I’m interested in - thanks for those recommendations, I’ll definitely have a look! :grin:

6 Likes

Hello, native English speaker, and you’ll find it’s about the only thing I’m fluent in. For now, that is.

Despite my Hispanic upbringing, my parents used Spanish as a way to keep secrets from my siblings and I, so that never really took.

I had French for two years, but I regrettably quit. I’ve only recently realized how much I love the French language and history.

I took a few years of Spanish, as well. Unfortunately poor teachers made sure my parents secrets stayed secret.

And now, I have to learn the alphabet of Ancient Greek, as well as know how to translate basic sentences before I even set foot on the campus for college. So, wish me luck, essentially.

7 Likes