Book Club: The Book of Briars

Parts 1 and 2 of The Book of Briars are now available for download for everyone who has pre-ordered the book or has an AG+ membership. The previous links will send you to the updated files and you’ll also be receiving an email as well! Happy reading! :cjheart:

16 Likes

Hmm, do I keep stitching the Mountie quote that I started this morning, or do I read this immediately… :brandonthinking:

10 Likes

CJ inadvertently answering my question from the other thread :rofl:

11 Likes

I don’t think I’ll be paying much attention in my next class :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Aaaand my tablet’s dead again… It always dies just before you give us somehtign new to read, lol.

10 Likes

Um… for some reason I only seem to be able to read part 1? I have 2 different version, one of which I just downloaded from the email link, but both are 908 pages and only part 1?

Edit: Trying another download after deletign the old version.

6 Likes

My copy has both parts… maybe different links are leading to different places unintentionally?

6 Likes

okay, might have been something weird happening with the device, as the new version has the second part. I probably confused it, lol.

Edit: Well, all I can say after devouring those chapters… OMG BASH, ENDRI, AND AETHER!!! (blurred for the time being cause I don’t want to spoil it yet, lol)

11 Likes

Well these chapters answer a question I asked 3 years ago now.

http://www.deedsdone.co.uk/2016/11/17/the-big-idea-and-the-real-reality

12 Likes

Me when names started popping up: :spiritseergimme::deirdreexcited::spiritseergimme:

10 Likes

I wanted to answer you then, so I could eventually show you just how serious my narrative long game is but Deirdre was still behind Sully’s spell at the time. :cjheart:

11 Likes

[spoiler]Iris gives me lots of fairytale Ebbie vibes.[/spoiler]

Also, [spoiler]six guilds, Santa Colette Six. Plus Alistair for the unknown seventh? :tinfoilhat:[/spoiler]

9 Likes

Today’s random (and probably wrong) theory tinfoil hat theory is brought to you by coffee. Coffee: Apparently today I made it too dang strong.

This theory was in my top 4 or 5 pile of theories in the first part, and I’m liking it more and more now. Spoilers abound.

[spoiler]

Supporting details:

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between Ben and Alistair. Ben can reach other people in her life easily, but seems to be fuzzy on finding her so far.

Also, the pages of the Book of Briars are so far only ending up in Ben’s side of the story, and not Alistair’s.

Lastly when anything weird or magical happens, it seems Alistair’s world goes upside down and everything gets queasy, but Ben reacts to pages randomly showing up at his house or publisher with basically a shrug and a ‘oh not this again’.

:tinfoilhat: Theory:

Ben is actually in the Book of the Wilds, and Alistair is in the Book of Kings.

The Book of Briars is telling us the story of the two worlds being knit together like butterfly wings. The Book can more easily get to, and survive in the world of magic. It’s Ben’s task to bring that book to the Book of Kings and in doing so, complete the Book of Briars.

The knitting has started by combing the mundane people that were probably the same in both worlds anyway. Zev, the receptionist at Borden’s former office, etc. Both worlds are now touching the same people. Combining Ben and Alistair who are both aware on some level of deeper secrets in the world are much tougher to combine. And if the BoB has taught us anything is tough tasks require long, and sometimes seemingly random paths and connections.

[/spoiler]

14 Likes

So, small thing but Aether seemed really spell sick in that last scene. Kind of thinking he cast some kind of affinity on Alistar, which is how Endri knew she was on the up and up. Maybe thats what Trusted Confidant is for :joy:

13 Likes

I just really, really want to appreciate Zev real fast. He’s wonderful.

13 Likes

An I the only one who gets Marty-vibes when reading about Ben, but just KNOW he won’t get Marty’s happy ending? We just can’t be that lucky, right?

12 Likes

Ben has 2 key protections of the Briarverse:

1) He’s not a father
2) He has a cute dog.

He should be fine. (I kid…I kid)

13 Likes

I can still change the ending.

10 Likes

As long as you don’t go all GRR Martin on us @CJB:worried:

12 Likes

I finally finished reading. These characters are going to destroy me with feels. Even Volley was killing me, because that is exactly how my big dog acts! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Is anyone else holding out hope for a Ben and Marty meet-up? Ben needs a magi-mentor/better dad figure in his life and I could not stop imagining how much coffee that meeting would require. :laughing: Two writers of different stripes, but similar brains.

13 Likes