Book Club: The Book of Briars

10-4 dinosaur. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

16 Likes

It’s so weird. It doesn’t seem to be blurring out my typewriter ink, semiphore signals or telegraph Morse code. :man_shrugging:

17 Likes

Typewriter ink is a special form of magiq and is immune to spoiler blurring. It is known.

14 Likes

I actually think you’re on to something here. This makes a lot of sense. Even if this place isn’t Neithernor, it could still be the place where the BoB was kept and had to switch with the Little Red House. I think the Age BoB may be different than the physical book, but this whole time travel stuff really does mess with your head. I mean, it sounds like it was written in the distant past, but then our trinkets from the Wellspring on Saturday showed up there. So maybe we don’t need to worry about how 2018 still had the book to release.

14 Likes

Yes, @robert & @Hummingbird, I agree you are both onto something.

The fact that The Caretaker could row away to bring the BoB to (the real world?) makes me think this is some kind of borderland where the magiq congregates - hence all the trinkets and being touched by the Storm (if it is in fact “our” Storm).

12 Likes

I feel the beginning of chapter 4 so freakin’ hard. Though I have to say, if the person’s stubborn enough it doesn’t matter how big and obvious they are.

13 Likes

For those who’ve expressed jealousy over my day off: don’t be.

I now have longer to wait to see what happens next. :knatzspoopy:

12 Likes

Okay, the end of the first section gave me chills. Well done.

Also my annoying fly-paper of a brain made two connections. Please don’t read until after you’ve read the first section. Spoilers.

The “Santa Colette Six” were one of the stories Martin Rank had been looking into during his drinking days. It was nice seeing that come back into the story.

Also Helping Hands in Maryland was the place where Augie was (is?) being treated when Ascender and then Martin visited him. So Dr. Bolden worked there…interesting…

14 Likes

That’s how we’re left?! Ugh, I’m out of my mind here.

Great narrative BTW.

11 Likes

My internal Screaming is ranking somewhere around a 10.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. All these feels and the mystery and my brain is just full of…I don’t even know. Like this is the worst of teases and I need more.

I’d love to see either of our focus characters bump into Marty though. That’d just be…I don’t want to call it funny, but possibly…appropriate?

13 Likes

Now I can’t stop echoing “No one remembered the books but her” in my head all day.

14 Likes

With some of the things (read: songs) that’ve been rattling around my brain on repeat for nearly a month in some cases, that would be a welcome change. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Ended up with a sick day today so I could finally catch up and I feel like “AHHHHH!” is the best reaction I’ve got… also I might be obsessed with this fox. And I’m very very curious about how the Raven will show up, since the fox image is at the start of Alistair’s chapter’s and the raven is at the beginning of Ben’s. Does the raven keep tabs on the stories Ilya sent out? Also, I reeeeaaally want to know more about this Alex person, cause it sounds like the forums are mentioned… A member of the Low, maybe? What’s the connection to Sacha and the Lachmann story? I have so many questions.

12 Likes

Time to break out the Basecamp 33 official uniform: the tinfoil hat!

13 Likes

I love how the in universe forum is quite right now.

8 Likes

I feel kinda dumb (I haven’t had time to fully read, just skim, hence the question . We got a new segment? Where can I find the link? (Sorry ;;;; )

7 Likes

Don’t feel dumb! That’s a great question. If you want to receive each part of the book as it’s released, you can pre-order it in the book shop and it will be delivered to your email! :cjheart:

9 Likes

Sweet- thanks !

7 Likes

Saint Colette is the patron saint of childbirth and difficult pregnancies. I wonder if that is somehow tied up with the Santa Colette Six case? Not sure how it would be though…

7 Likes

I think Ilya was one of the Santa Coletta Six. The first chapter talked about her being upset that the girl hated the memories she so desperately wanted to get back.

Edited for spoiler blur lol

6 Likes