Bearings from the Lighthouse

What is everyone’s bearings? And how do you feel about what it says: do you connect with it and does it resonate?

LUMINAST

Affinity: Verelian’s Delve

The rows of overflowing shelves beneath the crooked spires of the high mountain have become your sanctuary, the cobbled arches of the cavernous halls where you have spent hours poring over volume after borrowed volume comprise your most cherished havens. These places have become so intertwined with your love of all things literary that no matter where in the world you travel in your voracious search for knowledge, you need only open a book and breathe the familiar scent of its pages to immediately feel transported home.

On most days, though, you can still be found in one of countless long and candlelit halls, gathered together with peers to read and think in relative quiet. Quiet that is only occasionally disturbed by a chuckle here, a whisper of a gasp as a story unfolds or a revelation is gleaned. The book you hold is as dear to you as the friends you sit alongside, offering counsel and comfort, opening doorways to worlds and ideas beyond your own and giving you the tools to go out and seek them. As soon as one is finished you are on a quest for another, eagerly exchanging stories and tomes with friends who are equally relentless in your hunger for more.

Few things in this world excite you more than the thought of sharing these ideas between yourselves, transporting you and your loved ones to times and places as of yet unexplored. Here, surrounded by the collections of generations, you have amassed a treasury of your own: beloved stories, cherished words, memories of sharing in your delight with those who appreciate its intricacies as you do. You are a product of all of the narratives you have spent entire days and nights devouring as if there was a hunger within you that only that particular combination of thoughts and ideas could satisfy. That hunger has a name: it is the ever-ravenous Mindflame, and it has shaped the way you think, and act, and are, more so than any school or teacher ever could have done.

You are a Luminast-bearing Thornmouth, born of the sun, destined to carry that eternal Mindflame of imagination throughout the long days and nights of your lifetime. Nurture that fire within you and hold it high, for you are destined to provide a light for all those you meet to read and learn and create by, for as long as your candle burns.

LUNIVOX

Affinity: Catalyst of Creation

It seems as though the echoes of the great minds who have come before you are always around you, a legacy that lingers in the sound of your steps on the flagstones and in the scratching of your pen in an otherwise silent room. You have been drawn here to these peaks like the thinkers of old, enticed by the wealth of stories and histories safeguarded within these walls, magimystic tomes and works of genius preserved for the benefit of future generations of readers, learners, and dreamers. While your guild kin are eager to learn from and be inspired by the ancient thinkers and stories of old, you seek to know what they didn’t, create what they couldn’t, and to question what they never considered.

You find that the words of your intellectual predecessors ignite the Mindflame of your soul with the fervent desire to consume and be consumed, driving you to make your contribution to the silent city of words wherein you now reside. You do not presume to match them in their status, yet you simply cannot help leaving your mark in the margins when the words move you beyond constraint. More often than not, it is as though the spirit of thinkers past moves you directly, moves within you, encouraging you to take liberties with their words that others might deem sacrilegious.

You have only the highest respect for these works, but it is against your nature to take things at face value, which is why you feel impelled to keep asking Why? And What if? You seek to strengthen old ideas through these questions, to reinforce that which you have found so impactful in your own experience. It would be a disservice to let them languish; in the face of obsolescence, your handfuls of line notes and minor constructive edits can do no harm. This impulse to adapt, to update for the modern world, is one of preservation rather than personal gain, for it is done in the hopes of reaching more eyes and touching more hearts as yours have been touched. You and your peers have followed this impulse into the very core of the mountains, for within each of you is a special story to tell. Be it original to your own endeavors or ages old and bound for rediscovery, never doubt that this story belongs to you all the same. Your legacy is whatever you make it to be.

You are a Lunivox-bearing Thornmouth, born of the eclipse, destined for a noble eminence as of yet unknown to all but the brilliant Mindflame that flickers away within your core, just waiting to be released.

UMBRANOR

Affinity: Encyclovation

If the high mountains had secrets, you would know them all by heart. You have devoted your life to the uncovering of ancient mysteries, to the dissection and preservation of the very core of knowledge, itself. There is little within this corner of the world or beyond that is not known to you or your peers, as you have dived deep into the ancient texts, have pulled apart the foundations of the magimystic word by word, letter by letter. To discover which combinations of sounds and intentions create light, create power, or simply create. The act of creation is no small thing, as the sprawling libraries and archives which you call home can attest. Yet to trace this act from its very beginnings, to seek the trajectory of its evolutions and the patterns of its metamorphoses, that is an undertaking for which only few are equipped.

The ability to look past the content of a work itself, to not get caught up in its dynamic histories and captivating tales but to dig between the lines and underneath the very words themselves to discover the precise timing and origins of their inception – that is the true wonder of your work. You find this keen eye extends into other aspects of your life as well, for you are able to understand the hidden truths in ways no one else can.

The potential and purpose of other things, thoughts, and people become clear to you as words printed upon a page. You are eager to understand both method and motivation, purpose and perspective, to see through the mist of ego and eloquence to the truth that waits beyond. Though your careful eye for detail and fastidious patience will be tested, they too will be strengthened with each day that passes. Your insight into the obscured wonders of life grows with every passage you read, and every sight you set your eyes upon.

You are an excavator; you see the world and its inhabitants as an endless well of information to be unearthed, as each generation buries and builds upon the last. Most would be intimidated by the ceaseless, cyclical nature of what you see, but for you, an Umbranor-bearing Thornmouth, born of the moon. You cherish your work, your power to see what others cannot, as both a pleasure and a privilege.

16 Likes

I’m a Lunivox. And I love how it brings in creative and interactive parts of my personality, even as it shows that i have more to give under the surface

10 Likes
  • Luminast
  • Lunivox
  • Umbranor

0 voters

Might be easier to see than individual answers :smiley:

9 Likes

I couldn’t find it on my phone. Thank you!

10 Likes

From what I’ve read on the forum threads so far I seem to be our guilds only Lumanist!

Also @Miliham do you think it’d be a good idea to put the Bearing descriptions in the first post? That way people can refer back to them without having to jump to a different site or go through the test again

12 Likes

I think so too. There we go. All there.

10 Likes

I was just about to make a thread to discuss our bearings! Thank you so much for beating me to it. And with the descriptions laid out all neat and tidy too! :cjheart:

12 Likes

I’m a Lunivox. I feel like Luminast fits with my personality more, but Lunivox is largely about future potential and creating a legacy, so maybe I’ve just yet to realize how it fits. I do like the creative aspect of it.

8 Likes

I got Lunivox, and I’m not sure anything has described me better in my entire life than the line, “you seek to know what they didn’t, create what they couldn’t, and to question what they never considered.”

9 Likes

Umbranor here, I’m not too surprised to be honest :joy:

8 Likes

I’m the same Luminast sits with me a lot better than lunivox :confused:

8 Likes

I got the Umbranor bearing. Couldn’t be more happy with getting this one, suits me perfectly honestly

9 Likes

It’s okay @Sellalellen I got your back

9 Likes

I’m both pleased and not at all surprised getting Luminast, just reading it makes me feel warm inside.

10 Likes

looks at his shelves of rulebooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases, and that CD case of Encarta 95
Umbranor. Yeah, that fits.

11 Likes

High fives @BarkbytheGrace Yey another Luminast!!

10 Likes

Even though I haven’t gathered my bearings yet, nor figured out how to, Lumanist seems to fit my instinctual senses. It suits me, as I am much more of a watcher and absorber rather than being an active participant. I’ll share what stories I can, but only when I feel comfortable.

EDIT: Well, after having a hand point me in the right direction, it turns out that I’m born of the Moon! After some consideration, me being an Umbranor also makes sense, maybe more-so than Lumanist.

10 Likes

I’m an Umbranor! Upon reading the other bearings I had thought that Luminast would suit me more, at least surface wise…but the Umbranor description does ring true for me in certain contexts! Maybe from an outside perspective it’s more obvious haha

9 Likes

Is there a test to determine which bearing you are?

8 Likes

unsolved page, for how to solve it go here and that should point you in the right direction, though if you do need more help shoot me a message and i’ll help :smiley:

12 Likes