2020 Reading Challenge

Count it(trilogy in 5 parts) as 3 for the trilogy and 1 as Douglas Adams and see if the 5th book will cross off another topic…?

5 Likes

So, most of my books are actually listened to…does a blue cover for the print edition count?

7 Likes

Sounds reasonable :smiley:

6 Likes

Omg jinx!!! I got this amazing book for Christmas as well!

5 Likes

I planned to do a reading challenge this year too! Good to know I’ve got others in the same boat. 52 is a lot but I’ll do my best to reach that goal! Good luck to everyone too!

6 Likes

Does anyone actually read a recipe/cook book cover to cover?
Or do you skim read and then read a recipe in full if its title/summary/picture looks good?

6 Likes

I interpreted it as a book about food or cooking, which can have recipes, but may or may not. If that makes sense?

7 Likes

I’m now trying to figure out how the xkcd How To book counts as a blue cover when it looks black. :brandonthinking:

I’d love to do this, but I don’t have anywhere near 52 books any more, and I don’t think most of what I do have cover enough of the categories. I do wish the ones who are undertaking this luck though!

7 Likes

My camera is a little broken and only focuses when I take photos in monochrome.

Do you have access to a library?

5 Likes

While I officially only set my Good Reads goal to 12 books (so it’s still a fun accountability thing but not a stress-inducing accountability thing), I’d like to read more than I did last year, and last year I got to 42 books. So I might not be able to do 52 separate books, but I might try to work some of the challenges into the books I do end up choosing!

9 Likes

I totally don’t expect to get to 52 books, but it gives me something to focus on and guide me to choose different books than I might otherwise.

7 Likes

^ This. I’m hoping to get through 35 books this year and am just using the list for inspiration.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if it counts for adventure but at the beginning of the year I started on the hero’s of Olympus series. So hopefully it counts or I’m gonna have some catching up to do :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I think it counts :blush:

6 Likes

Looks like an adventure book to me :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes
  1. I’m giddy giggling that one of my threads was mentioned on the list.
  2. I’m going to let one book cover more than one category, since I already know that I won’t read 52 books in one year.
    So I’ve finished two books so far. The first one doesn’t cover any of the categories, but the second book, “The Dog Who Wouldn’t Be”, covers three categories: 36, 40, and 48.

Edit to add: are we counting books that were nominated for the Goodreads best books list? Because I have at least three books on my tbr that were nominated.

10 Likes

Currently considering books published in the 1920’s
I’ve not read any of them although I’ve seen film/TV adaptations of a few.
What would people recommend?

• The Story of Doctor Dolittle (pub. 1920) Hugh Lofting
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (pub. 1921) Agatha Christie
  • Ulysses (pub. 1922) James Joyce
  • The Velveteen Rabbit (pub. 1922) Margery Williams
  • The Great Gatsby (pub. 1925) F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Call of Cthulhu (pub. 1928) H. P. Lovecraft
  • Lady Chatterley’s Lover (pub 1928/1929) D. H. Lawrence

0 voters

4 Likes

As much as I would love to suggest Ulysses, I know it’s a chunky book :cagsko: best of luck with the winner!

7 Likes

I read Doctor Doolittle as a kid! I totally forgot that it was from the 20’s, maybe I’ll have to reread it to fill more challenge slots.

7 Likes

Thanks for boosting this - I totally need to check my spreadsheet for accuracy, it’s been way too long.

Maybe I should read Gatsby - it’l definitely check of a few categories!

7 Likes