2020 New Year Revolutions! ✊

Hey Mounties! It’s officially the New Year for me! So I thought I’d ask you all what New Year Revolutions you plan to carry out this year to change your personal world! Revolutions don’t have to be grand goals or even need to be successful. As long as you try to complete it you can use it as a stepping stone to carry out another one next time! So let the Revolutions begin! Viva la Mounties! :fist:

14 Likes

My revolution is going to be writing a large project. I have a shortlist of ideas and I’ll be picking one by the end of the week. The ideas are leaning to screenplays, but there is also a manga idea on the list.

13 Likes

I’m trying to either stretch or do yoga everyday for 5-10 minutes. Other than that, I need to start actually posting to the blog I run OTL

Happy new year everyone!

15 Likes

Happy New Year all!

13 Likes

Happy New Year all!

My revolution for this year involves alot of stuff, some personal, some professional. Most of it’s about bettering myself.

12 Likes

Happy new year everyone!

Resolutions/Hearty Attempts
I’m gonna be trying to use a planner to help keep my life more organized!

I’m gonna work on my large writing pieces in a more constructed format!

I’m also going to work on some solo dance pieces that I’ve been chickening out on completing ^^"

13 Likes

Okay, goals for this year:

• Use. My. Insurances.

• Finish at least one project that’s still a WIP (ideally Hobbit and Labyrinth quilts, definitely Hobbit first)

• Not to go overboard when designing a new group project for the Court of Grandmothers

• Walk/bike at least one mile every day (provided my work schedule will allow for it; can be getting to/from work)

• Finish the 1500 miles I didn’t complete last year, and in the process finish the Amerithon thing I started back in 2017 (it’s 1793 miles to destroy the One Ring, may just aim for that again :brandonthinking:)

• Slowly tackle the mess that is my room (and simultaneously find a different way of keeping my cat from wheedling her way into the closet other than wall-o-stuff)

17 Likes

Happy new decade everyone!

2020 is my Year of Drafting.

I’m going to finish a rough/first draft of a book, and I’m going to do it by embracing my chaos nature and letting the process be messy and non-chronological. I’m going “treat writing like a job”, but like a good job with a healthy schedule and sensible time off.

My secondary goal is to be more active. I work a desk job and it is blah. I want to do some sort of physical activity for 15-30 minutes every day, but I won’t be committing to that until February because 1) I need January to condition myself to wake up earlier, and 2) I’m cursed. Every year I start maintaining a work out routine only to be struck with an illness or injury in mid February that totally disrupts my groove.

15 Likes

This year, I just want to be more active-walk more, get out or my chair at work, see friends, engage with things that interest me

16 Likes

I’m going to save better this year. Well, not save exactly. Perhaps I mean manage. Know where it goes on paper not just where I think it goes. Maybe I’ll have 50$ here and there!

I also have a lot of coursework I’ve been avoiding (it’s easy when you’re not even in school). I want to tackle it head on this year!

14 Likes

Okay, so these are all incredible ideas! We’ve been really inspired by all of your revolutions, and we were talking in the office today about how they actually tie perfectly into what we were planning for Nepenthe this year.

Historically, Nepenthe has been celebrated around November/December, and this year it just kind of got away from us what with all the craziness of getting ready for The Briar Society, Secret Saberlane, and my surgery. So this year, with @OracleSage’s blessing, we were thinking of turning Nepenthe into a longer initiative based on helping each other stick to our goals of building habits and making changes like the ones that have already been suggested here!

To focus on helping each other work towards those successes and develop sustainable habits, we thought we could create “support pods” on the forum for people working on similar projects to check in with each other, share updates, offer encouragement, and hold each other accountable! Fitness/Health, Creativity, Productivity, Self Work, Giving to Others, etc. The idea being that by making it a priority to help and support each other, everyone benefits in turn.

Additionally, when we were brainstorming with the leaders, @Ashburn had the awesome idea to look for ways to align personal goals with ways to help the broader community as well. Some examples would be honing creative skills by working on projects for charity/awareness for a particular cause, or participating in a fitness program (real or virtual) that donates to a charitable cause as well. Since the spirit of Nepenthe is at its core about helping others, we thought that this was a really cool idea to adapt and incorporate towards other goals.

I know it’s kind of a loose structure, but it’s because we want to keep it flexible enough to accommodate revolutions of all kinds! We want to give our Nepenthe celebration the opportunity to be the most meaningful and impactful it can be, so let us know your thoughts and how best we can support you all in creating these spaces (should we make a poll for interest in different areas?), and we can all get started!

17 Likes

I really like the idea of using Nepenthe (my first one!) to help support each other and the community/communities we live in.

I suppose my question is whether or not each support pod would be helping out a different charity/community, or that we’d all be helping out a singular goal via different routes.

Also- I love the idea of support pods. Nothing holds me accountable like friends also striving towards the same thing.

Action wise, a poll would probs be a great place to start?

14 Likes

Oh wow I absolutely love that idea!

@Eden I like that idea of us all working towards one agreed upon charity per pod!

13 Likes

Oh, I work for a charity! I’m a leader in my local guild chapter of Extra Life, the gaming charity that raises money for Children’s Miracle Network hospitals with a game marathon every November. Can I nominate Extra Life as a potential Nepenthe beneficiary?

14 Likes

Absolutely!! I think we’ll put together a new topic at some point today where we can start to organize interest pods and potential charities. Thanks for the suggestion!!

13 Likes

Im going into the recording studio, this year, for better or worse. I want to go hang out with the mounties in AB, travel to vancouver, and attend windchill in Calmar AB. Finally, i want to successfully host a small gig that isnt just the coffee shop i always use.

15 Likes

Okay! So it looks like the 3 biggest areas of interest for revolutionary projects are creative, physical, and personal improvement! We can go ahead and make super topics for those three pods and make this thread the main topic for Nepenthe Revolutions, but before we do, we want to make sure we didn’t miss anything first! Everyone is free to participate in any/all of the pods if they suit your goals, but if you think there’s something worth adding/adjusting definitely let us know here first and we can go ahead and create them either later today or first thing tomorrow!

15 Likes

I’m so excited for this.

I’m not only going to be joining a pod(s) personally, but also Catherine and I have a lot of company goals we want to hit this year so AGP may also be contributing support and updates. I’m so excited!

15 Likes

Oh my never in my wildest dreams did I think a topic I created would become the inspiration and base for such a wonderful and noble project! :sweat_smile::heart:

13 Likes

We love it! It works perfectly!

10 Likes