Werk Werk Werk Werk Werk: Professional Stuff

The local farmers market is indoors, but it doesn’t open until July.

3 Likes

Speaking of opportunities, i have a canada day gig! Just got the email, 25 dollar memoriandum payment, plus tips, in the middle of the busiest part of the city during the festivities! It’ll be awesome!

5 Likes

Start two new jobs this week, soon to be three!
I will be working at a gym as a nanny for lil ones, and helping an elderly man with Parkinson’s. In a few weeks as well I will be opening my first stall at a local market for folk remedies, salves, and charms.

13 Likes

@Cj_Heighton @metatomato @Sellalellen
I’m a little jealous of all 3 of you for your bravery to perform music! I’ve played Trombone for a little over 13 years now and I’ve never found it to be a good solo instrument, though I’ve always loved it. I’m currently playing in my local community band so I’m at the very least getting some playtime in that way!

6 Likes

As far as my day job, I’ve worked in a grocery store for 5 years and have recently secured a spot in management. Never where I thought I’d find myself, but the company has been surprisingly beneficial for me

7 Likes

I feel you. I would never be able to start a solo performance on sax, although I have been considering placing an investment on a looper and some distortion pedals to change my sound a bit and give more creative freedom.

6 Likes

What I do for a paycheck : Currently Active Duty USN. I work with computers, mostly. And RADAR, a little.

What I do for me : Game design student, with goals of designing my own games, and/or working on the AAA titles I already enjoy.

5 Likes

Oh man that sounds so cool!!!

2 Likes

Active Duty always sounds cooler than it is, mostly its cleaning and trainings.

5 Likes

I just graduated from college on May 4th! So I am currently in the post grad state of limbo. I have been going on job interviews but so far nothing has stuck. I did turn down a job in Atlanta and another one in Nashville because I didn’t feel that spark that I need. I majored in Fashion Merchandising with a focus on PR and Events, but I have recently started my own candle company. It is still in the beginning stages. I have just purchased the soy wax that is biodegradable and botanical along with the scents that I want to work with. My containers have just arrived this week from my vendor. I am just waiting to go pick up my candle wicks on Monday! I am excited to get the ball rolling and hopefully post a pic of my finished product!

8 Likes

First off, congrats @alexanderskye on your graduation! Good luck with the company - it sounds brilliant!

To introduce myself to the thread, I recently started a job in the police as a civilian member of staff. I’m struggling a bit at the moment to find my place there, as I’ve always been a bit quieter and tend to find it hard to bond straight away with people! I used to struggle with social anxiety during uni and this new job has brought it all back a bit. Anyone have any tips on settling in to a new job?

6 Likes

Let me know if you need any branding or labels for your company. I might be able to help. Congratulations on the graduation by the way.

5 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes

Does anyone here have any tips or experience with setting up their own business as I’m looking into starting up my own dog walking business and would really appreciate some help!

2 Likes

Hello everyone, such a diverse lot we are as far as day jobs go.

I’m currently a laboratory technician, my primary focus is water. Mainly testing for nutrients and the like, mostly low-level stuff and mostly clean (other than the sediment stuff). Which is a gross departure from my other life as a Vet Nurse which was far from clean :joy:
I must admit as much as I miss the animals I do not miss the mess :wink:

8 Likes

I’m a bit of an odd jobs person as I’m recovering from an illness at the moment! I’m technically a copyeditor but at the moment I’m just focusing on convalescing and writing a book of my own and trying to work on other skills to give me more options when I have the energy/free time.

7 Likes

Well I’m going into uni for bachelor’s in mechanical eng and computing tech, it’ll be six years as it’s a double major with coop (@Tinker if I need help I’ll probably ask if that’s ok, calc and physics especially are a pain). Currently waiting to hear back to see if I got a part-time job doing admissions at a touristy place for the summer.

Also kind of wondering about future careers in design (ui/ux or graphic though I know the latter doesn’t have too many job opportunities) as well as animation/vfx (more the latter) if anyone knows anything about those (cuz Endgame happened and I’m probably not the only one that went “that’s what I want to do with my life now”)

6 Likes

Oooo that’s so exciting! Absolutely let me know if you need a hand with anything!

3 Likes

@Connielass I know exactly how you feel!

3 Likes

So I gave up on applying for jobs. Got so frustrated and depressed one night that I came * this close to flinging my laptop at the wall. Spent the rest of the night shuffling my tarot cards and telling the universe that I was going to take a break from job-hunting.
The next day I got a call from a place I hadn’t even applied to, asking me in for an interview. I’ve been working there for a month on Thursday. I’m full-time, making about what I was aiming for, and benefits will turn on in another couple months. It’s not exactly the kind of work I was looking to do, but I hope it will aid me in the long run toward my career goals.

11 Likes