Thorinth: The Letters Return

I’ve been counting hyphens as one word

7 Likes

I’ve just found a second assessment page.
I’m not sure how, or if its related, or if I’m late to the party and everyone already found this months ago.

7 Likes

Is that one of the assessments from the fragments? I never did one, so I can’t remember.

7 Likes

Search of the forum, appears to indicate I’m years behind on finding this :stuck_out_tongue:
and I got so excited.

6 Likes

The “don’t share” part sounds like what I read before we found the stuff for the third assessment (also when I got here).

5 Likes

I don’t remember hearing about that before

3 Likes

Back home and checked the changed letters, and also found a couple instances where I completely (and I do mean completely) failed to count. I can only blame tiredness.
Behold the updated Letters.
It is definitely using the Guide. The numbers point to a page number, then the word, then the specific letter. The Coded Letter has page numbers listing all the way to 73, and that’s the number of pages the Guide has. We count hyphenated words as a single word and always include the title. There are some number sets that only work if these rules are followed.

I’ve marked the updated letters with an asterisk.
thornletter2_ElectricBoogaloo

6 Likes

Sorry for the distraction. I’m pretty certain I’ve just stumbled across and old item

On a related note, I think my partner might have cracked it or at least got close enough that gibberish has become understandable ish.

5 Likes

“My house was rather obligated to take me as I had managed that incantation before ever studying with them though I am fairly certain they would have preferred I focus less on the mundane faiths and try theirs”

^ decoded
Afraid I cant confirm what the key is for the playfair cypher… my partner might have done his magiq :smiley:

9 Likes

[spoiler]_Nearly there! (I’ll have to double check that I didn’t lose any letters compared to my key) Edit: just slightly off on the end between “and” and “theirs”.
There’s a feature to blur spoilers under the little gear if you’d like to hide the results for those still solving on their own. :cjsmile:[/spoiler]

6 Likes

The error is bugging me!
We’re moderately certain the key is ‘faith’ but were still getting gibberish.

We guessed try from ‘trrerh’ translated from book letters IS SD UI (subbing I for J seems to be common for playfair)

6 Likes

That substitution might be the thing throwing it off, the rest of it is on point. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

[spoiler]FAITH[/spoiler]
We have a grid that is not spouting gibberish!

8 Likes

MY HO US EW AS RA TH ER OB LI GA TE DT OT AK EM EA SI HA DM AN AG ED TH AT IN CA NT AT IO NB EF OR EX EV ER ST UD YI NG WI TH TH EM TH OU GH IA MF AI RL YC ER TA IN TH EY WO UL DH AV EP RE FE RX RE DI FO CU SL ES SO NT HE MU ND AN EF AI TH SA ND MO RE ON TH EI RS

Dropping the "X"s because Playfair ciphers like to use them as placeholder characters, and adding punctuation we get:
**“My house was rather obligated to take me as I had managed that incantation before ever studying with them, though I am fairly certain they would have preferred I focus less on the mundane faiths and more on theirs.”

9 Likes

[spoiler]Congrats!
There’s a feature to blur spoilers under the little gear if you’d like to hide the results for those still solving on their own. :cjsmile: [/spoiler]

5 Likes

I have also learned how to blur text! I’m off to bed. Goodnight. :smile:

6 Likes

Goodnight Graevan, thanks for the great work on this!

6 Likes

Will try it again later.
The challenge got under my skin and I think sleepyness was starting to hold us back.

5 Likes

Overly confused upon inspection of thread, and debates trying to help but remembers Walter from The Big Lebowski and his wisdom, "Shut up Donny, you’re out of your element."

Good work folks, this looks mostly like jargon to me! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes