The Six Elements - Alchemical Symbols Project

I actually really like House of Ideas! I also like the idea of House of Possibilities? Because ore, raw materials, have infinite possibilities. They’re objects to be molded.

Gotta jet to class but I’ll be back with more pondering on options.

9 Likes

Wait. House of Inspiration.

That solves my qualms about too much focus on the physical aspect/output and not about why we create, and no “sound” issues!

Edit:
Other options: House of Illumination, House of the Muse, House of Vision.

11 Likes

Oooh, that’s an interesting option. Weighing the implications of “Ideas” versus “Inspiration” as something internally produced versus something that comes to you from outside.

9 Likes

well, inspiration could be something internal as well, or even connected to our Eureka moments.

Tides as purpose. works.

8 Likes

I could also see Thought as the House of Searching or the House of Seeking/ House of Questioning/ Asking. Some of those words might be a little too WW though.

9 Likes

The guilds do over lap though

7 Likes

Yeah, absolutely. I think that’s kind of the cool thing about these houses - together they’re supposed to represent the whole of the magimystic consciousness. I don’t think any of the Guilds can be totally without any of the houses, just like I think some little bit of each Guild is in every magimystic. But I’m also a big fan of the Renaissance, golden thread, “everything is interconnected” philosophy, so maybe I’m reading that into it a bit.

puts on linguist hat
I think “Questioning” versus “Reflection” is another really interesting term choice for Thought. The word “question” is actually of Latin origin, from quaerere - “to ask” or “to seek,” but it’s developed a more intellectual context. The word “reflect” is also from Latin, but its root reflectere literally means “to bend back.” So it’s almost like one of them has a continuing outward motion, where the other has a returning motion?

This is sort of where I got my interpretation of “inspiration” versus “creation,” as well. Creare has more of a sense of making or producing something, where inspirare literally means “to breathe into,” which implies something entering from without.
removes linguist hat

15 Likes

I think “Reflection,” when looking at your etymology, actually works really well for an introverted/Moon guild.

10 Likes

No, keep going Viv! This is really fascinating stuff. :deirdreexcited:

Your comment about inspiration meaning ‘to breath into’ is interesting to me. It makes me link ‘breath of creation’ to it!

9 Likes

pushes linguist hat back into Viv’s hands, sits down, opens notebook

This is very cool, and I’m super digging the linguist insight :eyes:

8 Likes

Haha, okay then. Umm, we were bandying about different options for Aether’s House; “humanity” comes from the pretty straightforward Latin adjective humanus, of or relating to human beings. The terms “communion” and “community” both come from the adjective communis, describing things that are universal or held in common. There’s a further suggestion that communis is itself a compound of cum+munire, “to defend with” or “build with” someone, although I think that derivation might be less definitive.

“Exploration” for Light is another Latin compound. Ex+plorare literally meant “to cry out,” and the suggestion is that it developed the connotation of searching because it was used as a hunting term, to describe the process of scouting an area for game by shouting. An alternative explanation is a combination of ex+pluere “to flow out,” and these both feel like the most Weatherwatch thing ever.

“Purpose” is a little more complex, but can be traced back through the French porposer, “to put forth,” which itself traces back to the Latin prefix pro- and a cognate/loan noun from the Greek pauein, “to stop or cease,” which is also where we get “pause” from, so it implies the putting forward of a resting place, establishing a goal or an end to something.

13 Likes

I put this up on the discord aaages ago so finally moving it over to here but was thinking about the early Weatherwatcher explorers and then got to thinking about our realms explorers and their treatment of the indigenous folk so I cam up with
The Shadow Houses
House of Conquest

House of Cruelty

House of Destruction

House of Apathy

House of Impulsivness

House of Stagnation

13 Likes

I think of the aether sort of like air. In that it is not visible, but omnipresent. Where I think it differs from air is that it is the invisible threads that connect all life

7 Likes

That’s a really great insight. Thanks!

6 Likes

Is this still going on? After multiple months I feel like the final images are probably buried in the thread somewhere, but since the topic’s still semi active I feel like posting and maybe eventually trying my hand at it considering I just graduated last december in this very subject. Let me know if there’s something I could do to help.

6 Likes

Most definitely still going on. :cjsmile:

6 Likes

Awesome. I’ll put pen to paper and see what comes of it.

5 Likes

So, I decided to give a go at this. While I doubt I’ll be getting points for complexity, here’s my addition:
Elements
Aesthetically these are based off of hobo signs, with the idea being that they might be used in situations where they had to be easily and quickly recognizable up close or from a distance, or alternatively for emojis or icons (which may be my inner Vexillologist making its way to the surface).

29 Likes

I,really like the simplicity of these. They remind me of spells that are cast with wands and require specific movements flashes back to Harry Potter

15 Likes

These are awesome.

8 Likes