21. The Secret Society: Of Two Minds

Hm… I would say AG again for Tales of Wonder, as it’s Ackerley Green’s Tales of Wonder. But then we’d need to work out if A is North or South, and G is East or West, cause straight away you have 4 possible variations (NE, NW, SE, SW).

11 Likes

Well as you mentioned before Tales of Wonder does specifically say NE in it. If it is also AG, then AG = NE? And then WB = SW?

I don’t know, I think I’ve piled too much tin foil on this one. But if assumptions 1 through 26 are right (ha!) then

A= N, G=E, W=S, B=W

So that’s

NE, NW, SE, NE, SE.

11 Likes

Proudly puts on Tinfoil Tricorner hat.
im going to make a guess and say that if the Tales of Wonder is actually AG, it would go something like this.

AG, AB, WG, AG, WG
with
A = S
and
W = N
G = W
B = E
so
SW, SE, NW, SW, NW

but this is based purely on conjecture and the idea that the lighthouse ties to Thornmouth.
I’d say it was some kind of substitition cypher, but given that each of the letter designations of N E W S are not within a single letter of each other i doubt it.

If we need a final knocking point, maybe we use East, for Ebenguard. given we have an Ebbie Ghost and an Ebbie Sabes.?

EDIT: Unless i got my designations mixed up and the lighthouse ticket is WB not AB, in which case, refer to Robert’s above post.

10 Likes

And… you both just illustrated my problem, lol

Edit: Nope, Grim, the lighthouse ticket is AB

10 Likes

so unless we’re taking ToW to be NE due to its use of it,
we have SW, SE, NW, SW, NW for me,
or NE, SE, NW, SW, NW
or NE, SE, NW, NE, NW
or NE, NW, SE, NE, SE

thats 4 possible combos.
maybe we can try a couple?
or sabes can maybe weigh in and see if any of them feel right.

EDIT: personally i like NE, SE, NW, SW, NW, E as the possible set. it feels more like a key to me.

10 Likes

So I was thinking…we’re taking a very guil-centric approach here (which makes sense, that’s how we got to other knocks). But are there other things that we could try to connect to the clues that might link them to the knock? We have six elements, linked to the guilds, as well…and we did just invoke them to call the corners… :tinfoilhat:

12 Likes

why not?
Tales of Wonder - Aether
Lighthouse - Tides
Hermie Sticker - Light?
Avis Journal - Thought
Green Man Block - Ore or Wild

13 Likes

Would Hermie be tides, since it sounded like our animal friend in the Minnying was a hippocampus?

12 Likes

possible too!

9 Likes

So…

1. Tales of Wonder - Aether? (Radio broadcast in the air/aether?)
  2. Lighthouse - Light?
  3. Hermie Sticker - The Tides
  4. Avis Green Journal - Thought
  5. Green Man Block - Ore or Wild?
10 Likes

I feel like we are missing something. Like we don’t have all the pieces yet.

7 Likes

OOH. idea. one sec.

5 Likes

Any idea how you’re going to get down there to try it out? I admit I’m curious.

Please don’t do anything too dangerous.

9 Likes

download

The alchemical wheel! it has elements in cardinal directions! The japanese has a belief that there is a fifth element, called aether or void.

here we go, found it. its actually chinese in origin. download%20(1)

okay, so going off that. the order is aether, light, tides, thought, and ore. Seems like the chinese thing wont do, so im gonna go with probably… North,East,West,South,South

however, you then also have the japanese circle, which has void in the north.

as such, perhaps… North, South West, South East, West, and East.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s referring to the six magimystic elements related to the six guilds.

12 Likes

Witches have a similar belief. image
The idea is that body is the star the hands are air and water the head is spirit and the feet are earth and fire and all five are need for balance. maybe the answer lies in the placement of the witches star and the directions and some kind of elemental spell you have to cast in order of the objects found. For example the light house has AB on it which is SE which aligns, if soul is north, with fire.

4 Likes

Wow, it’s interesting that all of these systems are so similar to each other; plus, they’re also similar to our own magimystical understandings of the elements. I think it’s a really good example of the idea of many paths leading towards the same truth. Since Woolie was a magimystic, though, I think it’s safe to say that we’re dealing with the same six elements that are associated with our six guilds.

So that would mean that it would be NW (Gossmere’s position on the chronocompass), W (Weatherwatch), E (Ebenguard), SE (Thornmouth), and then either NE (Flinterforge) or SW (Balimora), if Sabes is right.

So which one do we think the last one is? Do we think Sabes has it right?

13 Likes

I think he can try both. Could go either way.

10 Likes

I think I might have an idea but it’s very risky. If you guys are up for it.

5 Likes

The Green Man in general makes me think Wild.

A metal printing block makes me think Ore.

I guess it comes down to which aspect we think means the most, the material or the subject matter.

I’m one of the worst people to ask to make a decision like that, but if someone were shouting for me to make a choice! I’d likely throw my first guess at it being Wild.

11 Likes