The Holiday Spell Recipe Book

Supernova posted a brilliant spell-recipe for Peppermint Hot Cocoa last week to help raise our positivity levels. I’d like to throw this out to everyone and suggest we build our own spell recipe book for the holidays.

If you have a favourite holiday recipe add a magic twist and post it here, or maybe design a recipe completely from scratch using conjured ingredients. You could draw a picture of a magical creature enjoying the benefits of the spell, or even design a cool label for a winter concoction that will be stocked at all good magic retailers everywhere.

My daughter and I are working on an energy restoring gingerbread recipe that I’ll post as soon as its perfected. Let’s bring some festive magic into our worlds!

8 Likes

I didn’t know you had a daughter!
If I may ask, what’s her name?

4 Likes

Her name is Kura. We tried our gingerbread recipe together today and I’ll post the results later.

5 Likes

As promised, I made gingerbread tree biscuits yesterday with my daughter. I wanted to share the recipe here for the spell book:

Winterbay Trees

340g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp grated nutmeg
1½ tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp ground ginger
225g unsalted butter, softened
340g soft brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
75g crystallised ginger, finely chopped (or 50g stem ginger)

To decorate:
Candy Melts & sprinkles, or icing sugar

Firstly, apologies to my American friends, but I worked in UK metric

We used a recipe we found on the Guardian website which tastes great and isn’t hard to make. A little messy perhaps, but then I found I’m not a tidy baker.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/dec/16/how-to-make-perfect-gingerbread,.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spices together into a mixing bowl. Beat together the butter and sugar in another bowl, and then add the egg, beating it in gradually.

Stir the mixture into the flour to make the dough, and mix in the crystallised ginger. Roll out the dough to about a quarter of an inch and refrigerate for half an hour.

Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Cut out the biscuits and put on a greased baking tray. Bake for about 10 minutes, and allow to cool before decorating.

This recipe yields about 2 pounds of dough, and we made 20 biscuits.

I tried a second batch, cutting the biscuits after they were baked as the first bake trees lost a bit of shape. The gingerbread took about 20 minutes this way and they came out soft and chewy in the middle. The biscuits were more defined but they have to be cut while fresh from the oven, so I wouldn’t let children try this themselves.

We decorated our trees with green candy melts and sprinkles (Can you work out which tree Kura decorated and which one was mine?), but you could just sift over icing sugar or leave plain.

As we decorated the trees we recited a little spell-song:

“Sprinkle sprinkle little tree
Now you are a treat for me
Spice and ginger, I may say
Will keep the winter’s cold at bay”

So there you go. I found the candy coated biscuits were a bit too sweet for my tastes but I really like them plain, and they’re great with a cup of tea.

8 Likes

One of my favourite holiday recipes is for Samhain, and I found it in Scott Cunnigham’s Book of Shadows( more or less a Wiccan’s hand book) and I make it (with some modifications based on availability and taste) every Samhain!

Samhain Warmer Ingredients:

• 1 pumpkin
  • Cranberry Juice
  • Apple Cider
  • Ginger ale
  • Raisins
  • Rum

Slice the top off of the pumpkin and scoop out the inside ( you can keep the seeds and roast them in the oven with seasoning salt :slight_smile:)

Add equal parts Cranberry Juice, Ginger ale, and Apple Cider to pot and warm on stove.
You can also choose rather or not you want to add a few shots of Rum to your mixture ( I usually use fireball whiskey for the cinnamon flavour) but it tastes perfectly ok without the alcohol too!

When warm, pour the liquid back into the pumpkin, sprinkle a few raisins on top,and serve! :slight_smile:

Personally for this recipie i’ve served it right out of the pot, as we haven’t bought a pumpkin in quite awhile(but im sure the pumpkin makes it even more tasty!) and I haven’t used raisins in mine because i’m not to big of a fan.

In the beginning of the book of shadows there’s a blessing prayer that i usually pair with the making of the warmer.

Here’s a link to a pdf of the book of shadows as well!
http://witchcircles.com/home/attachments/category/23/Book%20of%20Shadows%20-%20Scott%20Cunningham.o.pdf

Enjoy!

5 Likes