The Currently Reading Super Topic

Huh, I’m interested in how a graphic novel translates to audio?

4 Likes

Same as a regular book, I’d imagine. Script is written for the narrator.

4 Likes

I’m also interested because there are other aspects that don’t generally translate well to audio. I haven’t read Sandman specifically, but a lot of graphic novel offer important interplay between text and image. Definitely excited to hear what you think, Lexington!

4 Likes

I haven’t started listening yet, but apparently Gaiman himself is narrating, so my guess is that he essentially wrote a full script around the images.

5 Likes

Honestly, if they can start translating graphic novels to audiobooks my adhd will be forever grateful. Even if it’s just a readalong kind of situation, audiobooks are so incredibly helpful for getting my brain to actually absorb what’s happening in the story.

Also, if we’re talking about graphic novels anyway, Spy x Family is hilarious, adorable, and wonderful. Very, very slice-of-life style, which I know can be one of those things that’s either loved or hated, but really well written and enjoyable!

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Michael Crichton’s “Timeline”)

5 Likes

Can anyone tell me how many of the Grishaverse trilogy books are covered in the show?

4 Likes

Season one covered just the first book in the trilogy and there was a new plot for the Crows, not covered in the duology!

5 Likes

Okay I think I’m late to this party also but Piranesi??? So good??? Similar to Circe in that I read it way too fast and now I miss having more of it to read :laurencry:

I’ve heard Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is very different (and also very long)—is it worth it to fill the void that Piranesi left??

5 Likes

I haven’t read either, but I think @OracleSage is familiar with the author so maybe she could give you some insight?

3 Likes

I’ve had Jonathan Strange on my shelf for YEARS because it seems so up my alley but also it’s intimidatingly long…but i also read Piranesi a couple month ago and have been in this crisis ever since!

6 Likes

It IS long, but so very good. I listened to the audiobook, so it was likely a different experience, but the story really is compelling in a way that I almost didn’t notice the length.

6 Likes

Oh god not again by sarah1281
That was a fun read.
Harry Potter fan fic. Goes a way to dealing with issues I had reading the original series, like are you serius using parchment and quill? We have notepads and biros!
There’s a lot more sarcasm, jokes and general humour and more nods to Muggle culture. I won’t say much more because I wouldn’t want to spoil it.
It’s about a day to read and a very much put a smile on my face :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t typically go out of my way to read fanfiction, but this one was pretty worth it.

2 Likes

Still working through Sara Douglass’ Hades’ Daughter. Lunchtime reading at work mostly. This is my third or fourth time reading it, though it’s been over a decade since my last reading. I’m catching things that I didn’t understand before, having revelations that I would not have without the extra decade of life experience. Can’t wait to finish it and move on to the rest of the series.

5 Likes

Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that this book lives in the nonfiction section of the library?

Because this book lives in the NONFICTION section of the library.
:spiritseergimme:

11 Likes

You have an amazing library

5 Likes

With the new year, as much as I am trying to read recent books (which is hard outside of my school work), I am finding myself once more revisiting books and authors that I read when I was younger. With the introduction of Libby through my library over the past few years, this has gotten even easier because I can listen on my commute to school, which is an hour both ways on the days I go to campus.

My current focus is an author that I have thought about a lot over the years, but the plot of whose books I had largely forgotten: Tamora Pierce. With the thanks of Libby’s audiobooks, I’ve already finished The Song of the Lioness Quartet, started her newest full series (Beka Cooper), and I am working on finishing the last book The Immortals Quartet this week. I’ve really enjoyed them with their well-fleshed-out heroines and their larger casts of characters, plus they are incredibly sex-positive for YA books written in the 80s and 90s. On this vein, though, I have also noticed that both Alanna and Daine (the main characters of the two quartets of Pierce’s that I am familiar with) end up with significantly older men when they are in their mid-to-late teens. It’s left me feeling very strange because, on the one side, these are often their best partners and are the most emotionally mature and respectful of their suitors. However, I think it’s a really weird trend to put teenage girls with men in their 30s as the romantic pairs for two different series. Does anyone else remember these series or similar ones where this kind of dynamic was common???

On a very different note, I’m also a part of a book club (our first meeting is tonight!) and we’re going to be discussing The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity! It’s shaping up to be a great book about the intricacies of human history and “prehistory” and I would definitely advise picking it up if you have the chance!

6 Likes

Ooooh I definitely remember Tamora Pierce but more like…I definitely read those books and they were probably a major part of my personality for a while, but I think I read them in like 4th and 5th grade (I distinctly remember which school library I was in, pulling those books off the shelf). And therefore remember almost nothing about them. I’ve heard other people talking about them on booktok recently though, so I’ve been considering picking them up as an adult. Honestly though, the “teen ends up with a Whole Entire Adult” bit was what was holding me back. Like, I’d also been wanting to read Little Women too, after seeing both the 2019 movie and the recent PBS mini series (both fantastic, highly recommend) but the professor being quite a bit older than Jo in the book (I think the ages there are less specific but it’s supposed to be a 15-20 year age gap and she’s maybe 20, from what I understand) had me a bit ehhh. I think a younger me might not have had such a problem with it - like you said, those partners are usually portrayed as emotionally mature, more intellectual, and more respectful/supportive of the main character and her abilities…but right now I’m just like “THAT’S A CHILD! AN INFANT! AND YOU, SIR, SHOULD KNOW BETTER!”

I just finished The Love Hypothesis for a bookclub I’m in and like…it’s gotten so much hype and it just fell really flat for me. Hiding the rest of my thoughts because while my thoughts are all-ages appropriate, the book is definitely not. This is an adult contemporary romance and there is spice. Contemporary romance (and romance in general) isn’t really something I read very often (pretty sure it’s mostly been via this bookclub), but this one has been generally pretty highly rated so I was optimistic. On a very personal note, a lot of parts about the main character just hit too close to home for me - she’s approximately my age and also a graduate student in a STEM field struggling with both research/academia stuff and also self-confidence, etc. So much so that, at the risk of over-sharing, I stress-cried about it twice by about the 30 page mark. Also, this book has a bit of an age-gap relationship where the main character is a 26/27 year old PhD student and the love interest is a mid-30s professor. And that was the other part that I found very uncomfortable given my current life situation - the student-professor relationship aspect. As a graduate student, that just didn’t sit right with me. There’s a point in the book where the professor character like, checks with the head of the department to be sure it’s okay since he’s not her advisor and stuff but like…mmm no didn’t like it. Finally, just genre-wise, I really hate secondhand-embarrassment and miscommunication as plot devices and since this is a fake-dating centered story, there was a lot of that. There were individual scenes and plot elements that I thought were appropriately cute/dramatic/well-executed, but on the whole I just didn’t love it.

And finally - I watched Pride and Prejudice (2005) last night as a minor celebration of Valentines Day, and then immediately decided that it was time for a reread, so I’m reading that now. I remembered that there was stuff in the book that wasn’t in the movie, and I’m not very far in yet, but there’s quite a bit more book content that I had forgotten about…like Bingley having more than one sister. Definitely excited for this reread.

4 Likes

Your memory and thoughts on Tamora Pierce’s works are the same as mine, both then and now! I had faint memories of Alanna specifically, but I remember liking them originally, which is why I wanted to revisit them. I knew I wouldn’t be alone in feeling weird about the age gaps because some of them are extreme (Alanna and hers are 7 or 8 years apart, and Daine’s is 14/12 [the author has specifically retconned this, though not explicitly]). Luckily, fans at the time of the last Immortals book release were also upset and made that clear. She reasons that marriage in the medieval period (the rough approximation for when her books are supposed to take place) would have been common at 16 and that girls would have regularly married older men, and while Pierce stands by her decision, she recognizes that she maybe should not have and has promised she won’t do it again (you can read more here (in spoilers because it spoils who Daine’s partner is: [spoiler]https://tpwords.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/dainenumair-and-reactions/[/spoiler]).

And :laurenangry: :laurenangry: :laurenangry: :laurenangry: on that Love Hypothesis book; that’s not okay or sensitive to the power dynamics at play in a relationship like that. (Spoiler for content warning: assault). [spoiler]This kind of behavior has been on my mind a lot recently, with some pretty well-known anthropologists who were abusing their positions to go after women who they advised and taught [/spoiler]. I’m bummed that you had to go through that, but I hope that your revisiting of Pride and Prejudice goes much better!

6 Likes