The Currently Reading Super Topic

They do not disappoint.

5 Likes

I absolutely loved this duology, and I agree that it is a little slow starting, but when you get to know the characters a little bit more you will probably enjoy the story more. I also personally enjoyed Crooked Kingdom more because she didn’t have to re introduce all the characters and you could just jump right into the plot.

6 Likes

I haven’t gotten back to this series yet but now that I’m reminded of it I think I will!

5 Likes

Hi all! New person here, figured I’d drop in a few recommendations.
Time catcher is an absolute pleasure to read, a story about a girl, a ghost, a button factory, and a grand mystery. It’s just one book, but it wraps up so nicely!
I will always recommend the Percy Jackson books (I saw the conversation up there, they’re always a fantastic read!) Rick Riordan is sweet and the diversity and research put into his books is a breath of fresh air.
I’m currently desperately trying to find the sequel to Above World by Jenn Reese. It’s a kid’s book but it’s… Genuinely scary at times. Amazing concepts, telling the story of two folk who live underwater coming up to learn about… Well, the world above. There’s two more books in the series, but I haven’t read them yet.
And finally, Dragon’s Green is another one where I’m on the hunt for the sequel at the library (I have very little money), it’s a delightful story of five kids learning about magic hidden in the secret recesses of the world, and in their own heritage.

11 Likes

I had just finished Return of the King before finding TMP and was planning on reading the silmarillion… But a) I can only read one book at a time, so I’ll wait until I finish TMP and b) The silmarillion is really long… I imagine it’s worth it though?

8 Likes

I’ve read it twice, once for fun and once for class. I actually found it easier to get through a second time than the trilogy. Then again, it’s basically the mythology of Middle Earth, and pardon the poor grammar, but I like me some mythology.

5 Likes

If you can get through it. I’ve tried to get through it multiple times and just… I keep giving up after a couple chapters… Still it takes pride of place on the top of one of my bookshelves.

3 Likes

Honestly that was me for return of the king the first time I tried to read it, so there was a one year gap between me finishing two towers and actually getting further than the first chapter of return of the king… So maybe just read something lighter first :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I feel like I stand out a little on my choice of readings here. I rotate books a lot but I’ve just finished;
The Ethics of What We Eat -Peter Singer
Norse Mythology -Neil Gaiman
How to Change Your Mind Michael Pollan

And am now reading;
The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
Hagakure
And Stress Less, Accomplish More - Emily Fletcher

I find 3 concurrent books essential.
P.S. the Monarch Papers and the Secret Societies have put the others a bit to the side a lot lately.

9 Likes

I just started “The Blue Salt Road” last night. It’s pretty short, so I think I got a third of the way through. It’s a selkie folklore retelling, and I’m intrigued to see where it goes…

7 Likes

Recently began reading an omnibus of jack london novels. Im halfway through, got done with white fang, call of the wild and sea wolf, so far.

4 Likes

Haven’t been reading as much as I’d like lately, but looking forward to getting some quality reading time in this weekend!! These are my two current reads right now, I usually don’t read more than one book at a time but the bf and I are reading Anna Karenina together and passing it off by each part, so I’ve been reading the short stories in Her Body and Other Parties while I’m waiting for my turn with AK.

@Revenir, I think I recommended Her Body a while ago when you were looking for queer horror, and now that I’m actually reading it, can confirm that these are pretty wild :deirdreexcited:

9 Likes

Almost entirely based on recommendations from Ackerly Green & Co., I have “Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (recently started, very dense to get through), then taking a break and reading something lighter with “Magic for Liars” by Sarah Gailey, then onto “When Breath Becomes Air” by Paul Kalanithi!

15 Likes

WHEN BREATH BECOMES AIR WILL RUIN YOU BUT I AM NOT SORRY

13 Likes

Shadow of the Wind is a good one. It didn’t quite hit me the same way TMP did, but there’s parts of it that gave me similar feels.

9 Likes

maintains eye contact with Catherine and discreetly slides the last one back onto the shelf

16 Likes

adds yet another book to the wishlist that will see no end

9 Likes

takes it back off the shelf when you’re not looking and stealthily slips it back into your bag

18 Likes

Oh my gosh, I see CJ isn’t the only evil one in the AGP office :joy:

12 Likes

:deirdretea:

14 Likes