Tending the Mindflame

it’s a hidden gem of a city, I could talk about the various little things that I get to take for granted, like how there is a protestant and catholic cathedral in the city (obscure law, no building can be built taller than the spire of the Protestant cathedral. But buildings built to the about same height but are on an elevation of some kind do look taller on the cityscape, but when measured are not.) We still have the ruins of our city wall, you can hire a kayak to paddle your way to various riverside pubs and restaurants! (known as pub and paddle) During the summer of some years we get brightly coloured statues of a specific theme, this year we had T-rex, though they are coming back next year with more dinos, each statue is decorated by an independent artist, then scattered throughout the city and surrounding areas, in a bid to get people out and about, there is normally some sort of competition based around finding them all, and at the end of the summer, they are auctioned off to raise money for Break charity, which is a charity aimed at helping vulnerable children, young people and families…

oops sorry, I started waffling.

To summarise, I’ve lived in my current home city for 6 years and I am still finding out new (old) things!
I could start an entire thread about my (mis)adventures around here!

5 Likes

Ok I now need to find a location in the north and the south of the UK that have a ludicrous number of pubs.
You’ve got the east covered and I’ve got the west with Aberystwyth holding the record for most pubs/bars per square mile per person. (Count is ~40 with the furthest apart being within a 30min walk. There might be more or less now, it’s a while since I’ve been on a full pub crawl)

2 Likes

I haven’t done a thorough check. But I have 6 very good non chain pubs less than 15 minutes walk from my home 3 less than 5 minutes walk.
And all of which play my silly drink ordering game!

Because I enjoy finding and trying new things but I’m indecisive at when it comes to ordering beer, I use adjectives and descriptors to order beer so I can rely on the bar tender’s experience and knowledge.

Eg I would like a pint of something majestic!
Or may I have something regal. Both have gotten me very different drinks but very tasty ones.

I once asked for a glass of disappointment and was told that weatherspoons is up the road. (Weatherspoons is a UK chain pub / restaurant… one that I avoid.)

3 Likes

Lol yes give that bar bod an award!

That’s an epic ordering method, might not go down well over hear atm but then university term has just started and they’re all busy. But I think you’d get on brilliantly in The Cambrian they are home to a cocktail for every university club/society/whim.

3 Likes

That bar bod is one of the most knowledgeable in the city. Most of the bar staff I know through this odd ordering method now use it when they go out for a drink. :sweat_smile:

Sounds like I may have to make some travel plans at some point. :grin:

3 Likes