Tending the Mindflame

I am almost definitely borrowing Feverfew from you on occasion :sweat_smile: I can mend clothes or something in return, though.

8 Likes

@Sellalellen deal :relaxed:

5 Likes

Hello, all! My screen name is Violet, and Iā€™m so glad I stumbled into this little pocket of the universe! ā€œTending the mindflameā€ is something that echoes through existence for me.
When I was a child, I was fascinated by sciences and the occult (and I still am!). Iā€™ve held a wide variety of jobs as an adult - including advertising and video production, dealing blackjack and poker, and I am now a psych nurse. I love engaging with people, getting to know them, and helping them work on their own thought processes.
Iā€™m currently reading Flora and Fauna, and itā€™s fascinating to me. I canā€™t wait to dig in and get all caught up! Some of the story shares parallels from things Iā€™ve observed in both magic and psychosis.
Iā€™m also a pagan of sorts, and my personal practices largely revolve around growing a wide variety of plants and learning about the native species in my region. One of my favorite ā€œmagicsā€ is drinking teas that enhance dreams (and none of the plants are illegal). Iā€™ve found a lot of inspirations that way.
I also love going on hikes, photography, fire dancing, D&D, and spending time with my family. I hope to get to know you all better and share in tending the flame! :fire:

13 Likes

Welcome to all our new guild mates!

8 Likes

Wooo I can finally post here.

Yā€™all can call me Mikasi. Figured an older word for ā€˜coyoteā€™ would be better than being blatant.

Iā€™m kind of surprised I didnā€™t end up in Flinterforge, to be honest. With my love of working with my hands and penchant for daydreaming up ways of mixing magiq and technology, I would have figured myself a full on match for that. I guess thatā€™s me underestimating my ADHD and penchant to deep dive/binge new things that catch my interest. I mean, Iā€™ll at least admit to reading both Monarch Paper books in likeā€¦three or four days and then catching up as much as is easily available since then. Or maybe the time I read almost 200 chapters of a light novel with over a thousand chaptersā€¦

Iā€™m probably a better fit for the Mindflame than I think. Plus, with all the research into ā€˜weirdā€™ things Iā€™ve done, Iā€™m sure my mad magiscientist side will still get a nice stretch. Perhaps itā€™s time to delve back into that one site about manipulating energy again. Hmmmmā€¦

As far as ā€˜mundaneā€™ things, Iā€™m probably your stereotypical ā€˜omni-nerd/geekā€™. I love computers, despite their finicky natures; I watch animation from around the world, but currently focusing in on Japan and Korea; Iā€™m a rusty martial artist who would love to get back into it, but is worried 20 years of rust will cause something bad to happen; I play plenty of board games and tabletop games, from wargames to D&D and more.

I do wonder how my high school research into ā€˜psionicsā€™ and my experience in personal and dwellings wards may help or otherwise evolve. Maybe Iā€™ll properly figure out how to take larger crystals and make them into communication devices? (Shhhhh LCDs donā€™t count)

10 Likes

I honestly canā€™t believe I never posted here! Mustā€™ve gotten lost in the sprawl of exploring the forum, but anyways, hi!

Iā€™m Aster, and Iā€™m really jazzed to get into this whole thing!! I have a degree in psychology and work in social work currently, but I also have interests ranging from fashion history to tabletop games, and many other geeky things in between. I joined a while ago and drifted in and out, but Iā€™ve wandered on back and am really looking forward to interacting more with the folks here, especially other Thornmouths.

9 Likes

Welcome! Iā€™m kinda new too. o/

3 Likes

Hello fellow guild members! New recruit here. My nameā€™s Scarlet, or Ms. Ashcroft if you want to be formal. Iā€™m a bit of a novice when it comes to all things magimystical, though I have had a fair number of strange experiences throughout my life. Things like floating around my room at night as a disembodied consciousness, or being levitated by spirits as a small child.

Iā€™m hoping that now that Iā€™ve found this place, Iā€™ll be able to learn all about magiq. It will certainly be easier with the help of others rather than stumbling around all on my own. Granted, I do rather enjoy my solitude but Iā€™m big enough to admit when I need help.

As far as my more mundane life goes, thereā€™s not a whole lot going on there. I dabble in all sorts of things from mycology to circuitry. Iā€™m a bit of a jack of all trades and a master of none. About the only thing thatā€™s stayed the same throughout my life is my passion for learning new things, and my flair for gothic extravagance. Oh, and video games, been playing those since I was 2 years old. Some things never change.

Anyway, I am excited to be here! And I look forward to meeting you all and helping out where I am able.

9 Likes

Ooh a fellow goth?

3 Likes

Yes indeedy! Though my wardrobe is ratherā€¦lacking at the moment. Hoping to get that fixed in the coming months.

3 Likes

Hi Iā€™m iluminara, singer bookworm and into loads of stuff.

4 Likes

Call me Blue. It works well enough both in the Magiqal and the mundane worlds. Doc Blue if you wish to be formal, but I donā€™t really talk much about my PhD. Iā€™m a little jaded from my time in academia.

I am, at heart, a puzzle solver. I like discovering the pieces of things and finding ways to piece them together into something of value. Magiq? Magiq is one of those pieces I couldnā€™t find until now. One of those pieces that starts to draw all the others together into a coherent whole.

I am excited to be hereā€¦ and to help tend the Mindflame.

7 Likes

@DocBlue @Iluminara Its nice to have you both. I hope youā€™ll stick around while we unearth whats left of magic in our world :cjheart:

6 Likes

I donā€™t remember if I already posted here? Haha. Iā€™m sort of absent-minded maybe even forgetful. So if I did ( I didnā€™t see a post but I might be having an obtuse moment) I apologize for the repeat. Hello fellow Thornmouth guildmates! I really love the idea of tending the mindflame. I homeschool my three younglings and the philosophy of education I adhere to is feeding their minds with mind-food - or ideas. And itā€™s really amazing to me that I would fall into a guild with such leanings. Through books we we pass the torch of ideas to minds and so on. Not my original thought on the topic and itā€™s a terrible paraphrase but when Iā€™m excited itā€™s like I canā€™t quite get the words out right in text or speech.
I enjoy phrases like ā€œflora and faunaā€ and ā€œflotsam and jetsam,ā€ or words like kindling and marsupial. Nature study, painting, mixed media, candles, thick books, old books, old words (like mizzle !), retro furniture and patterns, bright dishes and saffronā€¦ the whole universe is a place of wonderment. I really just want to learn and learn some more. There isnā€™t enough time on this earth to do all the learning one might want.
Happy to stumble upon like-minded people :slight_smile: Looking forward to magiq exploration.

5 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Fae. I found this world on my birthday, so I thought that it was pretty great timing. Iā€™ve figured out that Iā€™m a Luminast leaning Thornmout, and I wouldnā€™t have it any other way. I am currently going through finding a job and dealing with some severe health issues in my family so I havenā€™t been around as much as I thought I would be. But after reading a lot of the threads on here, I am so excited to get to make some new friends, because everyone here seems lovely.

I am a puzzler, and a lover of words. A non-crafty person who longs to be crafty. I am a math person, and have a lot of problem solving experience. I also have been deemed the manic pixie dream girl type, but Iā€™m still nobodyā€™s side character. I look forward to everything the future may hold.

:yellow_heart:

6 Likes

Hello, lighthouse keepers. Iā€™m Django and Iā€™ve recently found myself here at the tower so I suppose Iā€™m ready for the work to come.

In the mundane, Iā€™m Tom, an IT guy in a weird transitional phase, career-wise. I live with my wife and three dogs which means that I own a house and am allotted just enough space on the bed to breathe at night.

Iā€™ve recently come to adopt paganism as a spiritual pursuit in place of the organized religion I grew up with. Though the lens has given me a much more fascinating view of life, ā€œpracticingā€ alone is, well, lonely and itā€™s difficult to find a group to work with. Anyway, if anyone is interested in talking pagan junk feel free to PM me.

Magic (Magiq? Iā€™m not sure if the distinction exists and where the line is) to me is the miracle of everyday life. Thereā€™s some follow up to this statement but the miracle of my various mental disorders makes it impossible for me to elaborate at this time. Forgive me.

Anyway, umā€¦ I guess thatā€™s it? Feel free to ask questions or whatever. I look forward to working with you all and exploring the world together!

You say cult like itā€™s a bad thing!

7 Likes

Well, hey everyone! Iā€™m going by Alecto at the moment, andā€¦ wow. Iā€™m still incredibly new to everything here, but Iā€™m quite excited to learn and catch up. Which, I suppose, is why I wasnā€™t exactly surprised to find I was a Lunivox-bearing Thornmouth. Well, wasnā€™t surprised beyond the whole ā€œmagic existsā€ thing, that part was just a little unexpected. But still, when I settled into things and started reading everything I could find on the subject, well, I think this guild suits me quite nicely.

Anyway, I should probably actually talk about myself, shouldnā€™t I? Iā€™m an avid reader, so much so that Iā€™ve turned to web fiction of various forms so I have new chapters of stories to read nearly every day of the week. Iā€™m a fan of puzzles, though they tend to stick in my brain and absorb my focus until Iā€™m worrying at the thing like a dog with a bone. I also haveā€¦ difficulties being social, to put it politely, so please donā€™t fault me for mostly lurking when things havenā€™t stolen my attention or I donā€™t have enough spoons for interaction. Still, Iā€™m very excited to learn more about, well, everything here, and to meet and get to know all you lovely people.

7 Likes

Hey folks, itā€™s been a while since I was last here. An unfortunate mix of life events and depression pulled me away, but, Iā€™ve found my way back.

Anyway, let me introduce myself (again for some people).
Iā€™m Lander (Andrew irl) I have a passion for reading fantasy, sci-fi and more recently LitRPG. The Dragonlance Chronicles are what really sparked my interest in fiction and from there my love of RPGs & LARPGs like D&D, vampire the masquerade and most recently Whatā€™s Old is (Now) New (W.O.I.N) though these days I mainly run and help out at games.

Iā€™m a huge lover of tech, music and photography, though sadly I donā€™t have much time to dabble with these, other than through my job as a Sales Monkey at one of the UKā€™s biggest tech companies.

aside from the above, I have a fondness for puzzles and learning new things, from the obscure to the daft. eg Mathematically there are 5.9 popes per square mile of Vatican city! (yes I know there is only one popeā€¦ but math!)

My home city is known as the UKā€™s City of Stories! and has a rich history that I love to learn about from having an intact Castle that is now a museum, once having enough pubs (bars?) the be able to drink in a different one each day of the year and enough churches to confess your sins in a different one each week! and even being rich in occult and mystical history, and the final resting place of the physician and Alchymist Arthur Dee.

All that aside, I look forward to exploring the world Magiq and learning more.

8 Likes

@Lander Two things

One: I know so little about you other than that I need to book a transatlantic flight likeā€¦ soon so I can meet you and enjoy your incredibly interesting home

Two: That pope fact is fascinating and I plan to commit that to memory so I can spout it out at every opportunity

5 Likes

That pope fact absolutely just killed me. Youā€™ll fit in well here for sure.

3 Likes