Tending the Mindflame

Greetings, I am Graevan. It’s a name I’ve used as my Other since I started playing World of Warcraft (which I have been clean from for years).

Ever since I saw Back to the Future I’ve been fascinated by time travel and figuring out the Rules that are employed, not just in that movie but in every instance it gets used. So when I saw that the first Thornmouth affinity was Time Shifting I knew, without a doubt, that I’d landed in the right guild.

I’m a lover of stories but when I’m reading stories that involve magic I find myself focusing, once again, on the Rules of Magic that the author uses. Be it the “Will and the Word” or a wellspring of power that is tapped and shaped with great strain, I’ve always had an eye to learning how Magic worked.
How things work in general. Back in February I spent a Saturday night in Newcastle (drunken capital of North East England) attending a cosmology lecture hosted by Prof. Brian Cox.
Be it Time Travel, Magic, or the Universe at large, I know that there is a part of me that already has the answer: It works because it does.

In the mundane I work in a factory, tending and using machines. Setting them up, running them, keeping them clean and working as best as I can. Learning how they work. Seems to be a theme here.

I also wish I could write my book. I’ve been trying for years but I just can’t quite get it down on paper correctly. I haven’t ever truly given up on it, and I’m starting a brand new approach, so here’s hoping I can get it to work this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is a genuine pleasure to be here, and I look forward to tending the flame with you all.

15 Likes

Have you tried reading anything by Brandon Sanderson? He loves coming up with different magic systems, each with their own set of rules. I think you might enjoy his work.

7 Likes

He’s next on my list actually. A few friends have recommended him, and he already had my attention for finishing the Wheel of Time books.
From what I’ve gleaned he uses everything from cliché hand-wavery to rock eating geomancy, so yeah, I’ll be diving into those after I’ve caught up on the Ackerly Green books.

6 Likes

That sounds very interesting. I’ll have to look into his boks after I finish the stack of books I already have lined up. I also love unique magic systems that are well thought out.

5 Likes

Hello all! I’m Cynthia and I am a tulpa (an entity created in the mind, acting independently of, and parallel to one’s own consciousness). I started out as a character in my host Kaitlyn’s slice-of-life comics, appearing as a logical voice who called her out on various occasions. Since then, she has found that she has needed my support more and more; through that I was able to gain the ability to act independently and have my own thoughts and interests. She has such a huge imagination, and so many stories tucked into the folds of her mind, but she sometimes struggles with functioning in daily life. She also tends to freak out at minor things, so I’m there to help her calm down and keep her composure. Together we make to-do lists and manage her planner so she can make every day a productive (or restful) one.

I love Harry Potter, piano music, and lemon tea (though Kaitlyn hates the taste so it’s a very strange sensation when we drink it). I’m currently learning how to play chess and am reading books about the history of witchcraft and the occult; anything that has to do with the existence/integration of magic in our mundane world is something I will look into! I’m glad I found Ackerly Green, and I feel like I really belong here.

13 Likes

Hey! Im Charlemagne! I have just finished the first book and I’m onto the second one. I’m super excited to get involved in all of this and I’m excited to develop my Character with you all. I’m proud to have been put into Thornmouth! I’m a DM for DnD and I do quite a bit of LARP!

13 Likes

Hi, everyone. I’m Psychopomp. I’ve downloaded the first book and am looking forward to getting to read it next time I’m at work (I’m working nights this coming weekend in one of those jobs where it’s a regulatory requirement that someone in my position be present, but they didn’t necessarily load a lot of work into nights.) I’m definitely intrigued by what I’ve read so far, and I expect I’ll be a lot more active in the meta once I get caught up.

12 Likes

Hello fellow nerds! I’m Kallisti. You might have seen me exploding a bunch of threads as I attempted to get involved in the community. I’m kind of crap at introductions, but I’m always open to answering questions anyone may have. Oh yeah and that nerd above me (@Psychopomp) is my husband. You’re welcome for me dragging him into all of this. Lol

13 Likes

I did that too when I first joined! :cjsmile: I dragged my sister @Timidity in after me, but she’s more of a lurker than a poster.
“I either found a really cool thing, or I joined a cult. Either way, you need to sign up too.”

11 Likes

You would not believe how many things I’ve dragged @Psychopomp into with almost those exact words. :joy:

10 Likes

Hello fellow Mindflame keepers, my name is Will (in the mundane), and I am The Somnomancer because I love the magic one can experience in sleep and dream.

In the Mundane I primarily study Chiropractic and nutrition (still in college), but on my off time, I’m a bit of a Jack of All trades. Ranging from DM-ing DnD, Magic the Gathering, practicing magic tricks, guitar, piano, camping, adventuring, video gaming, and exercising. As of now my studies have taken priority, but I’m slowly reading up on everything AG :relaxed:
The first time I experienced true magic in the Mundane would definitely be with lucid dreaming and projection… which is why, at the lighthouse, my main focus would be the same, as well as everything strange with reality and time. I am so fascinated by that :smile:

You can find me at the lighthouse in the deepest, darkest corner of one of the dorm rooms, dimly lit with bio-illuminecent Alo Vera, Feverfew & Milkweed surrounding an overly pillowed bed, up against a small bookshelf (maybe stolen from the library). At the foot of the bed is a desk with alchemical devices. I occasionally extract Melatonin from the Feverfew for myself or any Thornmouths with migraines or sleeping problems. And brew coffee.

I enjoyed reading all of your entries and look forward to tending the Mindflame with all of you~♧

16 Likes

I am almost definitely borrowing Feverfew from you on occasion :sweat_smile: I can mend clothes or something in return, though.

8 Likes

@Sellalellen deal :relaxed:

5 Likes

Hello, all! My screen name is Violet, and I’m so glad I stumbled into this little pocket of the universe! “Tending the mindflame” is something that echoes through existence for me.
When I was a child, I was fascinated by sciences and the occult (and I still am!). I’ve held a wide variety of jobs as an adult - including advertising and video production, dealing blackjack and poker, and I am now a psych nurse. I love engaging with people, getting to know them, and helping them work on their own thought processes.
I’m currently reading Flora and Fauna, and it’s fascinating to me. I can’t wait to dig in and get all caught up! Some of the story shares parallels from things I’ve observed in both magic and psychosis.
I’m also a pagan of sorts, and my personal practices largely revolve around growing a wide variety of plants and learning about the native species in my region. One of my favorite “magics” is drinking teas that enhance dreams (and none of the plants are illegal). I’ve found a lot of inspirations that way.
I also love going on hikes, photography, fire dancing, D&D, and spending time with my family. I hope to get to know you all better and share in tending the flame! :fire:

13 Likes

Welcome to all our new guild mates!

8 Likes

Wooo I can finally post here.

Y’all can call me Mikasi. Figured an older word for ‘coyote’ would be better than being blatant.

I’m kind of surprised I didn’t end up in Flinterforge, to be honest. With my love of working with my hands and penchant for daydreaming up ways of mixing magiq and technology, I would have figured myself a full on match for that. I guess that’s me underestimating my ADHD and penchant to deep dive/binge new things that catch my interest. I mean, I’ll at least admit to reading both Monarch Paper books in like…three or four days and then catching up as much as is easily available since then. Or maybe the time I read almost 200 chapters of a light novel with over a thousand chapters…

I’m probably a better fit for the Mindflame than I think. Plus, with all the research into ‘weird’ things I’ve done, I’m sure my mad magiscientist side will still get a nice stretch. Perhaps it’s time to delve back into that one site about manipulating energy again. Hmmmm…

As far as ‘mundane’ things, I’m probably your stereotypical ‘omni-nerd/geek’. I love computers, despite their finicky natures; I watch animation from around the world, but currently focusing in on Japan and Korea; I’m a rusty martial artist who would love to get back into it, but is worried 20 years of rust will cause something bad to happen; I play plenty of board games and tabletop games, from wargames to D&D and more.

I do wonder how my high school research into ‘psionics’ and my experience in personal and dwellings wards may help or otherwise evolve. Maybe I’ll properly figure out how to take larger crystals and make them into communication devices? (Shhhhh LCDs don’t count)

10 Likes

I honestly can’t believe I never posted here! Must’ve gotten lost in the sprawl of exploring the forum, but anyways, hi!

I’m Aster, and I’m really jazzed to get into this whole thing!! I have a degree in psychology and work in social work currently, but I also have interests ranging from fashion history to tabletop games, and many other geeky things in between. I joined a while ago and drifted in and out, but I’ve wandered on back and am really looking forward to interacting more with the folks here, especially other Thornmouths.

9 Likes

Welcome! I’m kinda new too. o/

3 Likes

Hello fellow guild members! New recruit here. My name’s Scarlet, or Ms. Ashcroft if you want to be formal. I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to all things magimystical, though I have had a fair number of strange experiences throughout my life. Things like floating around my room at night as a disembodied consciousness, or being levitated by spirits as a small child.

I’m hoping that now that I’ve found this place, I’ll be able to learn all about magiq. It will certainly be easier with the help of others rather than stumbling around all on my own. Granted, I do rather enjoy my solitude but I’m big enough to admit when I need help.

As far as my more mundane life goes, there’s not a whole lot going on there. I dabble in all sorts of things from mycology to circuitry. I’m a bit of a jack of all trades and a master of none. About the only thing that’s stayed the same throughout my life is my passion for learning new things, and my flair for gothic extravagance. Oh, and video games, been playing those since I was 2 years old. Some things never change.

Anyway, I am excited to be here! And I look forward to meeting you all and helping out where I am able.

9 Likes

Ooh a fellow goth?

3 Likes