SOLVED: Fragment Nine: Galifanx

Draco is a circumpolar constellation.

3 Likes

Depending on the time of night (and year) you CAN see all three because yes, you’re right. It’s circumpolar. But from my very limited research Aries isn’t visible in the Southern Hemisphere. So then it would have to be a telescope in the northern hemisphere.

4 Likes

Keeping with Saturn-related stuff:
Hyperion is one of the moons. His parents represented Earth and sky/heaven. His children represented the sun, the moon, and dawn. Hyperion himself is the Titan of light.
Hyperion’s son Helios was referred to as all seeing in The Odyssey, if I’m remembering correctly.
And Helios was also the name of a NASA vessel back in the late 90s.

(starting to be grateful that i halfway paid attention in freshman astronomy)

5 Likes

I was thinking something similar about hemispheres and the location of telescopes! I’m not quite sure how it will come into play though.

2 Likes

Has anyone thought of Dee? Queen Elizabeth’s royal astronomer and magician?

6 Likes

We could also possibly use the chart of astrological symbols to try and help figure out what the word might associate with? The chart’s somewhere back in this thread.

2 Likes

Could be the name of a Great Refractor telescope?

2 Likes

I found this one that seems to include a lot of information:

6 Likes

In astronomy, Aries’ ruling planet is Mars. Any correlation?

3 Likes

That could eventually be the astrological sign on the final disc

3 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking.

Has anyone found anything about “Meudon Observatory”? I searched all the constellations with “great refractor” and that kept coming up.

4 Likes

Way off from everything, but one of the few things in space that we have never been really able to see are black holes. The only connection I can even vaguely remember is the Chandra telescope that studied black holes. Chandra is the father of Buddha, who is associated with the planet Mercury.

4 Likes

Or perhaps Harvard Observatory?

2 Likes

Sees what we cannot, Chandra is a space telescope that picks up x-ray emissions.

3 Likes

Harvard Observatory’s refractor had something to do with Saturn I know. I think the rings and maybe one of the moons?
I’m less familiar with Meudon. Really the only thing I know is that Rodin was buried there and he was known for shifting away from mythology to realism.

2 Likes

A telescope that maybe picks up x-ray emissions from these constellations?

2 Likes

If I’m correct in this, and it all revolves around Harvard Observatory, a major thing there was the naming of the star Vega into the type daguerrotype category of stars.

2 Likes

We’ve mentioned the Hubble and the Chandra telescopes which were both part of a “great observatories” program, there are two other telescopes, the Spitzer and CGRO that were each part of it. each of the 4 observes different types of light-
Hubble: visible & “near-UV”
CRGO: gamma rays
Chandra: x-rays
Spitzer: infared
but like somebody else said earlier all the other terms have been more archaic in nature and these seem a bit more modern

3 Likes

It seems as though the Hubble and Chandra are really the only two left in service today.

2 Likes

I wish the book would let us know if anything we said is correct.
I feel like we’ve thrown around a lot of ideas that make sense and at least seem to be vaguely related.

2 Likes