SOLVED: Fragment Nine: Galifanx

I was actually thinking about a telescope that might have been important in the discovery of some astronomical bodies that were name after a giant, a titan and a dragon, and maybe also in the formulation of some theory about light.

I also strikes me as weird that “Titan” is spelled you a capital “T”, while all the other nouns start with a lowercase letter. This makes me wonder if Titan does not reffer specifically to Saturn’s moon Titan, which was discovered by Christiaan Huygens.

3 Likes

I keep looking for constellations that could be seen as a dragon and all I got is
-Hydra (water serpent)
-Hydrus (water snake)
-Draco (obviously the dragon)
-Lacerta (the lizard)
As far as “what sees what we cannot?” there is telescopium and microscopium, as both see what we cannot.

5 Likes

Maybe it’s Ophiuchus? The thirteenth astrological sign, also known as the Serpent Bearer?

2 Likes

Perhaps the hand gripping the serpent is the Titan?

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even think of that! Maybe so.

2 Likes

What’s the exact wording of clue?

2 Likes

•What sees what we cannot? A giant, a Titan, a dragon, and all great light combined?

3 Likes

Hm, sorry @aTomic I’m not sure that’s right.
I think it may be a person, if we can find the constellations mabye they where discovered by the same person?

2 Likes

The guy who discovered the Orion nebula, which is named after the giant from Greek lord, is Christiaan Huygens, the same man who discovered Saturn’s moon Titan

4 Likes

Yeah @Nahemah posted that above, I think that could be our best lead right now.

Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, The Orion (giant) Nebula, all using a 50 Power Refracting Telescope. I am trying to find the dragon, but he was also able to divide the nebula using different stars (great light combined?)

4 Likes

With that, it would seem that he ties those two together, but what about “all great light” and “the dragon”? I feel like maybe he’s the right answer to this but the book hasn’t said anything.

GUYS. He had early theories on the nature of light. This could be our guy! You can read about what he theorized here, and also gives a biography!

5 Likes

Huygens also made a lot of theories about light, so there’s that. The dragon is the most difficult, the only thing that I can relate to is that he discovered “Syrtis Major, a volcanic plain on Mars” (according to wikipedia)…

5 Likes

GUYS I FOUND SOMETHING
The great smokey dragon of physics!

4 Likes

As well as “He developed the first compound eyepiece for a telescope using multiple lenses, which bore his name” (got that from full reading the biography)! Someone find that thingy!!

!!! The probe that found Titan was also called “The Hyugens probe” Im so excited I’m messing up saying things! Ive edited this comment like 5 times now!

2 Likes

Well I will continue digging into this but as of now I have found two types of telescopes associated with Huygens. They are:

• The Power 50 Refracting Telescope
  • The Aerial Telescope (which may just be a broad term for the first telescope, I am trying to learn more)
4 Likes

Didn’t someone mention refracting earlier? This is it! This has got to be it! Nothing else fits so well!

Yeah! Someone did! Thanks @Leigha
http://forum.ackerlygreen.com/t/fragment-nine-cagliostro-website/569/140?u=thebellsareringing

3 Likes

I don’t think he named any of his telescopes, though…

3 Likes

The Cassini-Huygens NASA mission discovered something called The Dragon Storm ?? Not sure if that’s really enough of a connection though :frowning:

8 Likes

Things just seem to be lining up a little too well around Huygens. I am not saying we stop everything and devote all our time to Huygens, it would not be the first time I have been wrong about information leading to a certain person/place/thing. But this is all too exact to be purely “coincidental”

5 Likes