SOLVED: Fragment Five: Brachursis

No. I dont think anyone mentioned that. good find!

2 Likes

Poll time:

If we do not figure out the Cagliostro password by Monday, we should:

• Ask for a clue
  • Keep waiting

0 voters

Don’t forget, we actually have two magimystical words that can be used to get a clue, so even if we use it this time, we still have another for later.

Just want to suss out how people are feeling about using the clue.

4 Likes

I’m a bit confused, how do we have two words?

2 Likes

@Piki and I each have one.

2 Likes

I have one as well. Are one of you willing to use your word for this? If so, the vote appears to be unanimous, green is go.

2 Likes

Oh, we had posted if we had a word here. Three is even better though. In my mind, it’s not my word or hint, it’s all of ours, so I don’t mind sending the word I received in. I will send the word in on Monday, unless people are wanting me to send it in now.

4 Likes

I agree, I don’t know why the book chose to give words to some and not others, but they shouldn’t belong to any one of us. However the book giving us clues indicates that this is going to be the hardest challenge we’ve faced thus far, the challenges have been growing progressively harder, and it’s really early on. The clues really should be used as a last resort, which our current situation seems to be.

4 Likes

As it stands, I think most of us are okay with asking for a hint, so I’m going to send in my word right now (just in case it takes 24 hours). I will let everyone know what the Book says as soon as I get the email (unless I’m sleeping :sleeping:)

EDIT: I’ve sent it in!

10 Likes

I assume everyone got the email, but here it is just in case:

You’re on the path beyond the gate
But something missing makes you wait
The dots the dashes and the door
Aren’t the only ones you’re looking for

What creeping leaf has got you slightly
Creeping tendrils caught you lightly
And grips the flags that you are holding

Look down
Look deep
It’s all un-folding

(Minus the dash in unfolding, but only the folding is italicized)

5 Likes

Right off the top of my head, it seems like we need to print the page and fold the image of the gate and maybe hold it up to the light to reveal the password. Under a crunch at the moment but will be free in an hour or so. will try then if no one else has yet.

3 Likes

So I have tried to fold it right through the middle of the gate, and where the hinge is, I am not currently seeing anything that stands out to me. I would definitely encourage others to try it as well, as I may be missing it. But I am looking at the tendrils to see if they line up some way when they are folded, as well as the ivy in the gate.

Any other ideas as to where to fold? I will gladly try them all

2 Likes

It is physically impossible to fold the page (without tearing or cutting) to get the texts to all line up as well… have been trying that, too.

2 Likes

Maybe we are supposed to rearrange the text? Also, perhaps we should be folding from or to the words “down” and “deep”?

2 Likes

There is a “deep” and a “down” in the 4th “paragraph” or section of text and they are one line apart. I tried folding the page so the fold was in between the two words, not much I could see. This 4th paragraph/section of text is also where the section above the gate is from so I tried folding the page to get down to match up with down and I don’t really feel that yielded anything either.

2 Likes

Going to try it soon. I keep thinking that it’s the vines that are supposed to form a word somehow, not the text, but I’ve been wrong before.

3 Likes

I think we are referring to the same thing, do you mean the “tendril” type things that have been drawn in? That is my primary focus as I fold the page

EDIT: or the vines at the bottom of the page coming off the gate?

2 Likes

Yeah. I tried tweaking them in photoshop but couldn’t get anywhere. The “folded” clue the book gave us makes me think that’s how those vines/tendrils form the password.

3 Likes

Okay, new idea. If you fold it vaguely along those lines then you see at the bottom you are just left with the ivy, right?

Don’t those leaves look a little too …regular? They all point straight on a cardinal direciton. (N, NE, E, etc)

and the line from the book.

“And grips the flags that you are holding”

I think that’s flag semaphore.

Although when I try to decode it all I get is

uxvsmadix or uxvsmndix. and neither work as a password.

4 Likes

I got the same translation as you. It was good thinking and could be worth keeping in mind as we continue to try to figure out the clue and fragment

EDIT: What if we have to find the right way to fold that page and that will change the orientation of the leaves, giving us a different decoding/translation?

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been pondering that. I’ve tried translating it upside down - ixdgsmkiu
flipped horizontally and vertically - ixduqycin

(Note I’m going flag happy right now so I might be off a letter)

Now it could be that one side of the leaves have to be read one way, and the other half another. Or perhaps it’s all rotated 90 degrees and read straight down. I haven’t tried that one yet.

3 Likes