Seven small steps

5 Likes

I had been looking at the letters a little bit ago and just sort of gave up because they donā€™t make a wordā€¦but the third step in Steveā€™s clue (thanks to @Mr5yy for reminding us) says ā€œyou will need to find the phrase I seekā€ā€¦so maybe itā€™s okay that it doesnā€™t make a word?

6 Likes

Tyvteya from front to back. Shvoiho from back to front.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s just sent guess work Iā€™ve done:

1 theatrics 1
5 penmanship 2
7 cartoon 2
2 mayhap 3
3 eaves 3
4 extoll 3
6 mayhem 3

I rearranged the words by their numbers on the right, but kept them in order with their left number, so 3ā€™s are numbered 2,3,4,6. Going from their, I tried to see if I could get make something out of it by taking out the specific letter from each word. I started with the left side numbers, one 1, two 2, and four 3 and I got this:

Teayvty

I also tried it by taking out the left side numbers (1-7) in my rearranged order and I got this

Tanavom.

Iā€™m thinking that it might be one of these ways in the original version of the words or maybe weā€™re supposed to remove letters and rearrange the left over letters in a phrase.

8 Likes

I was thinking maybe weā€™re supposed to read the letters/parts quickly to get the actual message (like ā€œsofa kingā€ sounding explicit if you read it fast enough), but no luck on my end just yet.

6 Likes

Well, ā€œTanavomā€ sounds like ā€œten of emā€ if you say it fast

8 Likes

Iā€™m bored.
Also disappointed.
But mostly bored.

Hereā€™s a hint.

Informal, crazy, mixed-up soricidae leads out (4)

Sign spotted for medical attention while commuting drives straight into a spruce (5)

Lowest, easterly town the earliest Russians settled first. (7)

11 Likes

Well, the universal sigh for first aid and medical stuff is a cross, though the colour varies per country. Five lettersā€¦

I googled ā€œsoricidaeā€ and got a Shrewā€¦

9 Likes

I completely forgot about this! Sorry Steve!

3 Likes

Vladivostok comes to mind for the last oneā€¦

5 Likes

sorry steve! i honestly just assmed that we hit a snag and werent working on it again.

most easternly town the russians ever settled is anadyr.
ā€œport town and the administrative center of Chukotka Autonomous Okrug.ā€ apparently its an interesting placeā€¦?

5 Likes

Heh, I think I got one!

Informal, crazy, mixed-up soricidae leads out (4)

@Nimueh 's clue of Shrew capitalized triggered a memory I was once dragged to a showing of Kiss Me, Kate. Itā€™s about the production of taming of the Shrew. The female leadā€™s name in the original play is Katherine.

So an informal Shrew: Kate

Mixed-up : Take

leads out. Take out.

So the first word is Take.

10 Likes

I would apologize, but I had finals.

5 Likes

Three

Signs on the highway denoting a hospital are a big H, spruce is a tree, put the H in the tree.

12 Likes

What about somewhere in Alaska/California? I know it wouldnā€™t be the earliest Russians, but it could go with them settling someplace first.

6 Likes

The capital of Russian colonization in N. America was New Archangelsk (New Archangel) also know as Siska, Alaska. Wikipedia shows that the first permanent settlement was done by Grigory Shelikhov, but I canā€™t find its name. The first trading post, which I would consider a town because this thing was massive, was Unalaska.

Edit: Does Steve mean easterly by east of Russia or easterly as the east coast?

6 Likes

That is a good question. It is somewhat vague, is it not?

7 Likes

Real useful, Steve. :expressionless:

6 Likes

Thanks for that.

4 Likes

ā€œYou canā€™t always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you needā€

9 Likes