Seven small steps

So… I may have just asked a friend. Penmanship

8 Likes

I received a message from him about 2 hours ago.
I cannot screen shot it because old technology. But the message says:
“perhaps old timey found inside anything may happen (6) 3 two”

8 Likes

So something that could be considered “old timey” spelled with six of the letters from “anything may happen”…

(at least that’s how I’m reading that)

6 Likes

hm… only thing I can think of is Dangle… but then what’s the Mountaineer part?

3 Likes

I was thinking of mountaineer as someone who climbs mountains (as opposed to referring to us)…So belay fits but it’s not really hanging. Still sorting through terms though…

4 Likes

Maybe hatpin?

5 Likes

What makes you say that?

3 Likes

Hatpins seem kind of old-timey to me, and hatpin was on the list of six letter words that could be made from the letters in “anything may happen.”

5 Likes

We can put it on the spreadsheet but not like, cement it in as our guess. And then if other people have other guesses, just make a list and see if one option fits best when we have the rest?

5 Likes

“A mountaineer hanging from a roof”

EAVES.

:angry:

Courtesy of @Ashburn

12 Likes

Mayhap.

:expressionless:

Old timey. Anything may happen.

8 Likes

“perhaps” in an old-timey way.

6 Likes

“Homer Simpson hears automotive checkup (7) 2 seven”

Sorry, y’all. Just catching up. Take this and I’ll look over what we have so far.

8 Likes

7 Likes

Homer Simpson’s catchphrase is ‘Doh!’

3 Likes

Also phoned a friend, but… “cartoon”

8 Likes

So…if the parenthetical number (the first number) helped us get the answer…could the next number be telling us where to look, somehow?

6 Likes

Maybe the letter within the word?

5 Likes

So current status: All clues were located, and a word was determined for each. The parenthetical numbers corresponded to letter counts in the clue word. The numbers that were spelled out went from one to seven…so giving a word order? Using this order, the words and associated remaining numbers are:

1 theatrics
3 mayhap
3 eaves
3 extoll
2 Penmanship
3 mayhem
2 cartoon

Edit: And all clues were sent at the same time (1:47 HST), though one message was resent (Smurf’s was duplicated to Viv) at 6:12 HST

9 Likes

I’m reposting Steve’s “riddle rules™️” just as a quick hint/reminder. By finding the words, we have fulfilled the first rule, now we have the second to do. The numbers probably have something to do with where we need to look in the words. And what we have left will make a phrase, hopefully.

9 Likes