Remedies

Hi!

@OracleSage and I had talked a while back about making a thread to share some of our favorite home remedies, and I thought what more perfect place than here in the Gossmere category! Anyone from any guild is more than welcome to come and share.

I’d shared this one somewhere around here a couple of years ago. I get really bad razor bumps and found that this really helps when I apply it before shaving. I make a small batch of it, and it lasts for a few months at least.

Uncle Augo’s Pre-Shave Oil

• 3 parts castor oil
  • 1 part olive oil
  • 5-10 drops of cedarwood essential oil
  • 5-10 drops of rosemary essential oil

A little bit goes a long way. Apply before you put on shaving cream. The oil softens the hair and allows for a closer shave with fewer “swipes,” and the castor oil and rosemary essential oil have great antibacterial properties to help cut down on razor bumps!

18 Likes

Might have to try that sometime. I get patches every now and then and it seems like it’ll come in handy!

I have one for cough/raw throat caused by cold
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 drop of pure peppermint essential oil
1 tsp of Jack Daniels (or any whisky/bourbon/ rum)
It really helps to soothe the throat and suppress the cough for awhile

7 Likes

That looks really useful! My grandmother used to have an old herball that recommended crushing a clove of garlic with the flat of a knife, then leaving it steeping in honey for 24 hours. The honey’s then taken as a cough suppressant.

Your’s sounds more… palatable, though.

3 Likes

I’ve done garlic and honey as well! It works slightly better but is definitely a little weird going down.

5 Likes

Mom being Korean, buys Korean pears at the market. For sore throat, she wraps them up in tin foil and bakes them in the oven (sorry, don’t know how hot or how long). When they come out, she uses a cheesecloth strainer to squeeze all the juice out while it’s hot, and mixes it with raw honey.

10 Likes

that sounds amazing omg

7 Likes

Right! I love pears and have never even thought about making my own pear juice let alone using for a sore throat

7 Likes

I’m not sure how American pears work for it, tbh, but if you do try it, let me know!

7 Likes

That does pose a good question, though I do know where I can get some non American pears. Whether they’re Korean it not is another thing though.

6 Likes

If it’s as big as a grapefruit and round with a matte feel, it’s Korean

5 Likes

Ah, here they’re just called asian pears! Im totally addicted to the things. Expensive tho.

7 Likes

Definitely expensive, but worth it! Juicy, crunchy, works on sore throat, and tasty either way!

6 Likes

That’s good to know!

4 Likes

I might make that just as something to drink honestly. I love to eat fresh pears with honey

6 Likes

Let’s keep this about home remedies, guys. There’s a whole other thread for food and dranks.

7 Likes

Sorry, will do

3 Likes