NN:R Meta - Flinterforge and Flinter's Glen RP

Hey there Flinterforged! Now that Neithernor: Reborn has officially begun and we’ve started to trickle back into Flinter’s Glen, we thought it might be nice to have a place out-of-world to gather and discuss roleplay potential within our guild hall - get on the same page about our space and the culture/customs/vibe of our guild in Neithernor.

So to kick it off, I wanted to explain what I mean by “orestones”, since I’ve now mentioned them a few times. The orestones were a facet of Flinterforge developed in the previous iteration of Neithernor RP (PRSFNE). If you’ve seen Disney’s Atlantis, those crystals were basically the jumping off point for the orestones…think magiq IDs/keys/etc for Flinter’s Glen. Except instead of everyone’s being an identical blue-green crystal, we added in a bit of the Olivander’s experience too - a collection of stones of different shapes, sizes, colors, you name it, with a “the wand chooses the wizard” type selection process (some of the text for this still exists). In-game, my character uses her stone for a lot of things - opening locked doors in the guild hall, helping focus spells and magiq…that sort of thing.

So…that’s basically where we’re at with the orestones. @Viviane and I are definitely interested in bringing those elements forward into Neithernor: Reborn, and anyone who likes the idea is welcome to roll it into their character. We could repost what was archived of the original selection process text or we can decide together on a new method moving forward. BUT if it’s not your thing, it’s absolutely not essential and you’re more than welcome to develop different things for your character to do instead of use an orestone. We don’t want to force this idea onto anyone, but it’s an option to play with if you’re interested.

Feel free to continue any guild-related meta discussion for your RP here!

13 Likes

That sounds pretty cool to me, plus gives me something to work towards narratively speaking. I am having a bit of a hard time getting started, been over a decade since I’ve RP’ed (Goodness Gaia was a long time ago!)

9 Likes

For what it’s worth, Neithernor is very different from a lot of roleplay in that our primary narrative goal is to create the historical setting as much as to interact with it. With that in mind, I’ve found that generally the best question to ask to get going is not “What creative thing do I want to do/find/resolve?” but “What locations/objects/information would exist here for discovery?” and then go from there.

13 Likes

Sorry to interrupt, and I know I’m supposed to be away, but that is a VERY good point and worthy of addition to the NNR Handbook.

12 Likes

So… @Catherine and @Viviane and anyone else…anyone up for coffee maker shenanigans?

8 Likes

Yesss!!

Also, because I am embarrassed that I did not heed my own instructions to change the topic notification settings and consequently completely missed new posts, PSA that the NN:R threads will be showing up in the ‘Latest’ feed now!! And I will be responding to the updates I missed soon/totally down to explore more shenanigans!!!

8 Likes

I’m personally looking forward to resolving this coffeemaker crisis in my Neithernorian life, and hopefully other things in the near future.

No worries, Catherine. I meant to @ you to follow up on this and just totally forgot on multiple occasions.

8 Likes

Cool! I can figure a way to get to the lounge…I might throw in a “knocked out and back in again” since it’s been a while since my last scene and I was in a different room anyway

Edit: Okay, so I’ve got myself set up in the pavilion…so I’m set up to maybe wander into the lounge in a little bit to meet up whenever you guys are ready to go!

8 Likes

Just so I’m clear, in world NN:R we know about the forums right?
For example if @Tinker goes “Hi I’m Tinker!” It would be an appropriate response to go “I know you, I’ve read your post!”

9 Likes

Yes, that’s correct! The Forum is partly how we canonically know about Neithernor, so interactions here are fair game to know about in NN:R.

9 Likes

Perfect. Thank you!

7 Likes

Sorry for the delay @Tungstenedge…I was thinking from here we head in to whatever building the lounge is in (I was thinking the glass building mentioned in the Pavilion thread unless anyone has objections or alternatives) to meet up with the coffeemaker crew

7 Likes

Sounds fine to me. @Tungstenedge, since you wrote the glass building, were you envisioning it as anything in particular? If we want to save the glass for something else, we could always connect the Lounge as another building with a stairway/passage between them?

6 Likes

I was working off the map I saw in a previous post of yours. I was for sure thinking it was a different building than the lounge and that it would just be connected by a tunnel/stairway.

https://forum.thebriararchive.com/t/neithernor-reborn-the-future-of-flinters-glen/4405/11

5 Likes

Sounds good! Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page about locations, etc!

5 Likes

I literally have this coffee in my work bag as of the post. Because I always have coffee on me, in one form or another!

8 Likes