#NaNoForItsuki: Week One

Well, Mounties, here we are. The first week down of this 30-day creativity challenge. And I’m going to be honest with you - I haven’t had time to write a single word since all of this started.

Yes, that’s right.

I haven’t written anything. Between school, work, and home obligations, things have just been… a trainwreck.

But I’ll tell you something else: it’s not over, and I’m not quitting.

At this point in the month it’s easy to give up when you feel like you aren’t making enough progress. It’s easy to feel like you’re failing. You said you were going to write every day, right? So what the heck?

But life doesn’t work that way, does it?

Things come up, and you can’t hit that word count. You can’t take a second to breathe, much less sit down and write, or build, or film a video.

None of that means you call it quits. It doesn’t mean you’ve failed. The only way you fail is if you give up and say you just can’t possibly, because it’s too late. What is too late, exactly?

And what is so bad about it? Living gets in the way, sometimes. The only time it’s really a problem is if you find that room to breathe and realize how much life has gotten away from you, and you throw in the towel on that thing you really wanted to do.

You’re going to get busy, Mounties. You’re going to hit writer’s block, snags, make mistakes, and forget what it was you said you’d do.

But it’s never too late.

I’m still here with you, still believing in your ability to finish this. There are three weeks left. There’s no reason you can’t still succeed, when you understand that success doesn’t look like doing it perfectly.

15 Likes

You’re a total inspiration, Dey, and I’m rooting for you! I’m so thankful for the support of this project, and even though I won’t make it even close to 50,000… I honestly just feel empowered as I near the second draft of my first short story The Glass Rose, which is way farther than I would have gotten without this inspiring group of people and you!!! :heart:

12 Likes

I definitely went lighter on my goals than a typical writing NaNo…and to be honest, I’m still behind where I wanted to be. By the end of week 1, my plan was to have a logo and other branding ready to go, but that didn’t quite happen. I’ve got the idea ironed out, but it’s not done. But I’m hoping to get some work done this weekend! Thanks for the re-motivation! And I’m rooting for you too (and everyone else doing this thing)!

11 Likes

Want to know a secret? I haven’t written anything either. Between school, taking care of my horse, and my great-uncle dieing, I’ve had very little time to do anything. But I have the weekend! I can write as much as I want then and not be distracted that much.

10 Likes

At 10 days im at…7100 words or so. this is with missing the first 3 days of work and then skipping a couple more, while gunning and beasting as much as i can.
I started back on the ship on the 4th. Who knows if i’ll be able to reach 50k, but imma make a danged good attempt.

This is a fun project, and I hope we keep going!

7 Likes

Haven’t written anything yet but I’m not giving up!

5 Likes

aaaaaand now im at 8000 words at almost 15 days in.
i’M NEVER GONNA REACH 50k. time to lower my goals toward 20 k for november and hold on to the rest for the rest of my contract.

Literally needs to write at 2500 words a day to make it back to track. (might attempt some of this for a burst of writing in the next couple nights.)

5 Likes