#NaNoForItsuki: Prep! Phase I.II Outlines, Character sheets, and Vague Ideas

Now is the time, Mounties, where the Planners, Semi-planners, and even some ambitious Pantsers are gathering their thoughts with the singular question in mind - What will I write for NaNoWriMo?

It’s not an easy question, to be sure. Some of you will be working on novels, short stories, or poetry. Some will be editing existing projects. Some will be taking their creative and crafty ventures to a new level. Some of you don’t know yet.

Last post, I offered a handful of writing prompts for you guys. Some of my own story ideas come from weird prompts like those, although usually they’re much more random and come to me quite sporadically.

This year, for NaNo, my inspiration comes from a handful of dreams I’ve had recently.

For this post, I’m going to be a little more… raw, with you guys. Normally, the prep work is the most embarrassing, disjointed, nonsensical, rough material that goes into writing a NaNo Novel. It’s not something I’m usually comfortable with sharing, because it contains a lot of ideas that may be scrapped later, mistakes, and uncertainty.

So I’m going to share a little of what I’ve been working on, because hey! That’s what we do 'round here.

Bearing in mind that there are still a few weeks left to go, and if you don’t have anything together yet - or if you’ve only just decided you’re going to participate - don’t be alarmed. At the same time, if you’re already way more organized than I am… well, good. I aspire to be you!

Below, are my character sheet drafts, a really weak preliminary outline, and a little tidbit that I wrote up this morning that might give you a look into the story.

If you have something you’d like to share (doesn’t have to be right now!) or any comments, questions, or suggestions for me (should you actually decide to read the docs I’m leaving here), post in the comments below. I’d love to hear your feedback and get some ideas of what you like, don’t like, or want to see more of over the coming weeks!

Dey

8 Likes

Secondborn.docx (13.2 KB)
Dev Character Sheet.docx (62.1 KB)
Y Character Sheet.docx (14.4 KB)
Weak Outline NaNo2017.docx (14.3 KB)

6 Likes

I don’t know if I’ll actually write what I intend to, but I intend to do a sequel to my NaNo from 2012 (if everything goes according to plan, it will be a trilogy).

In the first one, MC did a bit of an Alice in Wonderland where falling into the Devil’s Millhopper landed her in the underworld (what I’m calling the “downside”). She’s set some tasks a la Hercules to earn the ability to go back, gets help from some people, and she escapes topside with one of her new friends.

In the one I’m going to try writing again this year, there’s some backstory for one of the helpful characters, and there’s a return to the downside. The bad guys are plotting a return to power, there’s kidnapping, all sorts of fun stuff. I think I would ideally like the specific plot in this one to get overthrown, but I’m planning on having the big bad take back control sometime between 2 and 3. In this one, the entrance is in the Florida Caverns. I plan on having the entrance in the third one be at the Coral Castle, but that should be for another NaNo.

9 Likes

I haven’t had time to sit down and write out a detailed plan (though I do intend to over this coming weekend), but here’s sort of what I’m thinking of doing.

I’ve been playing with the idea of having an online shop for some photography that I’m pretty proud of, but it’s always been something of a “yea that’d be cool…someday maybe…” sort of deal. So I want to finally make that happen.

The big goal is to have it set up with at least one image for sale by the end of the month. For intermediate goals, I’m thinking:

1. Investigate platform (leaning towards society6, but still considering options)
  2. Develop branding material (logo plus content for personalize-able spaces on sellers pages)
  3. Prepare image(s) for printing (go back and do edits and corrections on raw images)
  4. For multi-product platforms like society6, review product options, prepare and upload appropriate file versions

The plan is to start with one image (that I already have in mind) and one platform (probably society6)…which is probably as much as I’ll have time for on top of everything else. If it goes better than expected, my “stretch goals” would be either adding other images or looking into other platforms (redbubble is the current second choice, I think)

So yea…non-writing NaNo plans. There ya go!

10 Likes

My goal for NaNoWriMo is to write each day, just not necessarily all on one big project.

Each day I’m going to write … something. Most days it’ll be progress of a set amount of words or paragraphs towards either a research paper or my final English paper. Other days it’ll be creative writing, which I’m aiming to use to work on poetry.

Sort of a cycle of three. First, research paper, next day, English paper, finally some poetry, and then repeat as necessary.

I intentionally designed it this way to be flexible towards if I have other writing assignments thrown at me in the next month or so, or if I have an overly creative day all of a sudden.

I would love to focus on creative writing solely, but I’m paying quite a bit of money to go to school and prefer to prioritize that.

10 Likes

I’m finally writing my collection of fairytales, for my little cousin who I grew up telling stories to. Most are based off Basque or Dutch mythology, and so far I have three solid outlines (6 to 12 is my final goal). Two of these stories are really near and dear to my heart, because I first thought them up when I was super young, and they have evolved alongside me. Right now I’m taking a break from outlining stories, more like procrastinating honestly, and try to figure out what to call the overall collection. I’m super inspired by Brothers Grimm, Aesopes Fables, and the like, so I’m hoping to give it that sort of classic feel.
So excited to see what everyone does! Love and Luck to all of you!!

10 Likes

It took me awhile, but I finally got a rough idea: MC, a college student (probably going to be parodying me), ends up having to care for his young nieces he never knew he had. Upon further searching, they are the daughters of his older brother’s twin sister, the older sister he never knew he had. So it’s going to be a family/mystery story.

5 Likes