Guilds in Children's Lit

Random thing I was thinking about the other day: I often wonder about how my personal and literary influences as a kid influenced my Guild. And since I also love a good character personality assessment…

Who are y’all’s favorite children’s lit characters, and what do you think their Guilds are? E.g. Magic Tree House, Winnie the Pooh, Harold and the Purple Crayon, etc.

10 Likes

Winnie the Pooh was always my favorite growing up and had a big impact on me growing up. Because of that I may be biased when I say I believe he’s a Gossmere?

9 Likes

If I were to point the books that influenced me as a child, it’d be not until I hit 7 and my parents gave me Hobbit for Christmas. I blame them for losing me to the world :joy:

Anyway, I’d say there would be a couple of characters that I looked up to:

• Anthea and Jane from Five Children and It for being the middle (seemingly reasonable) ground that could either lead everything to a disaster or save the day;

• The Bastables series - particularly Oswald. It’s been ages since I read them (time to apologize to Ken Follett’s Pillars and check what Apple Books might have there for me!) but I still remember the rescue scene in the tower… He’s been a reckless voice of reason indeed.

• Chronicles of Narnia - I think that the most Ebenguardian characters would be Eustace who literally stood between the two worlds and learning the lesson also taught him how to put things in concord, even against himself. The other one would be Aravis Tarkiina - even if confused, she reached further than any of her kind and that’s what makes this character impress me forever and more.

Bonus:

1. Jadis from The Magician’s Nephew showing Eben gone wrong (plus the picture of decrepit Charn still haunts me until today, maybe that’s why I love the Soulsborne series so much).

2. Bet Mary Poppins was Weathewatch. Literally and figuratively.

9 Likes

As a kid I mostly read nonfiction. I literally had a “Children’s Encyclopedia” that I read over and over again in bed. Then I would repeat the most interesting bits word for word to all my relatives because I was an insufferable Thornie child.
I only turned to fiction after that bored me, so that must have been at 7 or 8? Series of Unfortunate Events was first. I blame that for my enduring fascination with the macabre. I must have been 7 because I received the last book in that series for my 8th birthday. My grandparents did not approve.
Then came Dragonlance and The Hobbit in quick succession. My parents got me hooked on fantasy as soon as I got bored with the kids’ books. Mum expressed worry that these were adult books not meant for kids, and then went and handed me more books (see the book club post on Hero And The Crown). Now I think she was trying to groom me to play D&D with her. My whole family are nerds.
Once I was 12 I had burned through all the fantasy on Mum’s section of the bookshelf, and Dad suggested I try some of his Sci-fi novels. Hitchhiker’s Guide was first, and though I was too young for some of the jokes, the dry sense of humour I learned from those pages stuck with me. After that… Piers Anthony and Orson Scott Card.
My teens were a blend of sci-fi and fantasy and I think it set me up very well to enter TMP where I did, with magic, but also an evil tech company.

9 Likes

Ooooh. So I never finished Series of Unfortunate Events because it was too repetitive at first and I couldn’t get through it, but…Violet as Flinterforge?

I read a lot of Magic Tree House when I frist started to read on my own, and I feel like Jack and Annie are the perfect example of why Thornies and Weatherwatchers make great research teams.

I’m also gonna go out on a limb and say that I think of both Corduroy Bear and Milo from Phantom Tollbooth as Flinters, Corduroy because he does all kinds of crazy things to solve a problem (usually related to clothing which I deeply relate to), and Milo more because of the puzzle structure of the story and how he grows throughout it than any particular personality trait.

I could probably write an entire treatise on the Pevensie kids’ Guilds (read: I absolutely will if people want that?) because as characters everyone in Narnia leans slightly more toward being an archetype than a personality, but my tendency is to guess Peter as a Weatherwatch, Susan as Thornmouth, and Edmund and Lucy as both secret Ebbies, but Lucy presents Goss and Edmund presents as Bali. Please @ me about this.

9 Likes

Has anyone read the Charlie Bone series?

5 Likes

Alright, this is interesting cause I’ve never seen the original four as even crypto-Ebbies. I see some resemblance but I’d love to hear more about the main characters now :slight_smile: (including the ones that aren’t from Earth).

6 Likes

Klaus is definitely a Thorn.

6 Likes

Charlie bone was my favourite series as a kid. Got every book. Charlie for either ebenguard or balimora, possibly a little of both.

7 Likes

Hermione Granger, for the obvious Thornmouthian answer - when in doubt, go to the library.

4 Likes