Fragment Sixteen - The Book of Briars

Trust in the flow of magiq!

5 Likes

I had a million questions. Mr. Wallace just sat down and listened to me. He watched me pace his living room for about twenty minutes without a word in response. Finally, Iā€™d run out of steam and was near tears. I sat down across from him and asked him how I was supposed to go on when everything was still so unfinished.

17 Likes

Sorry, Iā€™m writing and remembering at the same time. Trying to get through all of this, bear with meā€¦

13 Likes

Thatā€™s okay. Take your time.

5 Likes

He said I had too much of my fatherā€™s blood in my veins. I couldnā€™t stop, even when the road had ended. He smiled, offered me tea, and said heā€™d sit with me and listen as long as I wanted, but sadly there was nothing left to tell.

16 Likes

Sounds a littleā€¦ patronizing to me.

10 Likes

But then, and I almost didnā€™t register it, when he stood to go to the kitchen he glanced over my shoulder, to the wall of books behind me. And then I saw him realise I saw him. He approached me, but I had already turned to the books and lifted up my fatherā€™s walking stick.

17 Likes

keep going, you got me on the edge of my seat here.

10 Likes

Omg, was Orvin hiding one of the Lost Collection? :scream: Always had a feeling that guy wasnā€™t sharing all he knew about magiqā€¦

12 Likes

Take your time Deeds, deep breaths.

10 Likes

Was there a part of the LC there?

5 Likes

I donā€™t remember exactly what I thought, what I conjured, but I pulled a thousand books off the wall in a single heartbeat. All except one. A small leather journal that had been hidden behind the others. Weathered. Half-burned. It floated in the air in front of me. I could see almost invisible strings reaching from the book, to Mr. Wallace. The book heā€™d glanced atā€¦

18 Likes

The book was tied to him? If he thought of it in that momentā€¦

9 Likes

I could feel the stick shaking, a crack appearing under the palm of my hand, the wood cutting into me. He snatched the book out of the air before I could.

15 Likes

Woah 0_0
That sounds horribly grotesque.

4 Likes

Wowā€¦ Iā€™m actually extremely surprised by this.

4 Likes

He held it to his chest. He had tears in his eyes. He said, ā€œHe made me promise to burn it. And I tried. It was the one promise I made him that I couldnā€™t keep. And to give it to you now is the second.ā€

17 Likes

I asked him what it was.

He said it was the true ending of The Monarch Papers.

17 Likes

No wayā€¦ Heā€™s had it this entire time?!? My brain :boom:

6 Likes

Pffffffftttt (thatā€™s a spit take sound effect becuase I actually have water with me at the moment)

WHAT!?

5 Likes