Favourite Quotes/Phrases

What are some of my fellow Mounties favourite quotes? Not necessarily something meaningful (although it can be!) but just something that stuck to your eyeballs when you first read it.

For example, I really like “O best beloved” from Rudyard Kipling, just as a turn of phrase.

8 Likes

I absolutely love this! Here are my favourite quotes and phrases:

“Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you. I loved you so… 'Twas heaven here with you.” - Isla Paschal Richardson

“Don’t wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself.” - Sara Henderson

“I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me.” - Rudyard Kipling

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page” - Saint Augustine

“We play the game for the games own sake” - Sherlock Holmes

“We’ll burn that bridge when we get to it”

“Don’t be hasty” - Treebeard

“I may have eaten the Time Donut” - @Robert

Oh and of course “:cjtea:” - @CJB

9 Likes

Oh, if only I had my project from junior year of high school handy… (there was an entire page suppose to be devoted to those; mine was in I think 8-10 point font to try and fit them :deirdrexd:)

I’ll be back with some.

6 Likes

STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF

I love that!

Gives me very Granny Weatherwax from Terry Pratchett’s Discworld vibes. Some of my favourite quotes from her character:

“Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is.”

“They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.”

“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.”

10 Likes

One of my favourite things is popular half sayings such as “Curiosity killed the cat” when the full version is actually “Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction revived it”

7 Likes

Got a couple here hehehe

·There is geometry in the humming of the strings. There is music in the spacing of the spheres.· -Pythagoras

·Humans are strange. They’re the only creatures to claim gods, and the only that act as if they don’t have one.· -Johnny Depp

·A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.· -David Brinkley

·Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.· -Groucho Marx

·If you want to annoy your neighbors, tell the truth about them.· -Pietro Aretino

·There are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.· -Clint Eastwood

7 Likes

Do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don’t pick your nose. - Jeff Mallett

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain

Let’s be honest, there are a lot of good ones attributed to Mark Twain, but that’s the one that’s stuck (even if I have to copy/paste to get the words just right).

Do magiq. Save our asses. If a storm eats me, I’ll text. - Cole

And I second @Rimor’s last two.

Also [spoiler]The exchange between Marty and Celia with the coin. :deirdrexd: [/spoiler]

8 Likes

YES. I’m particularly fond of Smacky the Frog, and the thing about turtlenecks.

4 Likes

I love Mark Twain’s quotes :laughing:

4 Likes

Almost all of my favorite quotes are from Winston Churchill or other soldiers/generals but here are some of my favorites

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” ~ Winston Churchill

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ~ Winston Churchill

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” ~ Winston Churchill

“Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.” ~ George S. Patton

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ~ George S. Patton

“In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.” ~ Erwin Rommel

“Sweat saves blood.” ~ Erwin Rommel

“A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.” ~ George S. Patton

I might add more later…

6 Likes

General George S. Patton:

• “If everybody is thinking alike, then someone isn’t thinking.”
  • “The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”

Mark Twain:

• “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
  • “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”
    Sir Thomas More, Utopia:
  • “…if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them.”
7 Likes

These are some of my favorites from Albert Camus and a few from Nietzsche.

•In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

•Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

•The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind.

•There are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth.

8 Likes

“Can’t shake the devil’s hand and say you’re only kidding.”

That, and “You cannot kill me in a way that matters.” Mushrooms are amazing life forms and delicious food.

7 Likes

“How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.” - Dorothy L. Sayers

I just found this amazing quote :laughing:

9 Likes

“Forget the fear it’s just a crutch that tries to hold you back and turn your dreams to dust, all you need to do is just trust” - Unbreakable

6 Likes

“The current state of knowledge can be summarized thus: In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.”
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies.

8 Likes

This is one that I repeat to myself when I’m feeling overwhelmed:

“Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” - Lao Tzu

12 Likes