Favourite Podcasts?

Man, I have about 20 podcasts I want to check out after going through this thread hah!

I’m currently listening to Harry Potter and the sacred text

Literally what it says on the box, they read each chapter through a theme (Love, forgiveness, happiness, lonliness,…) and discuss where they found such themes in the text, as well as perform a sacred reading practice in the second part of the podcast! (they do several different kinds! Switch it up regularly.) They also invite people to leave voice messages and discuss their experience or opinions on something.

I usually listen to it while drawing or cooking nowadays, pretty sweet!

8 Likes

I listen to Last Podcast on the Left mostly. I have also listened to Death in the Afternoon, Lore ,Criminal, Crime Junkie, My Favorite Murder and The Something Scary Podcast.

3 Likes

I’ve already seen Critical Role, The Adventure Zone and Welcome to Night Vale mentioned before me - and that’s reminded me to continue trying to get through Night Vale’s episode backlog after falling behind…

In addition to those I’ve started Wolf 359 and The Magnus Archives, the latter being a fictional horror podcast which seems to have some intriguing story arcs developing!

6 Likes

Double Toasted. It’s usually hosted by Korey Coleman (One of the animators of Space Jam) and Martin Thomas, they’re honestly hilarious. They do movie reviews, news commentary, interviews. I love their YouTube Channel.

5 Likes

I have been binge listening to Welcome To Night Vale during my 60 minute drive to and from uni, but I am almost caught up to the most recent episode (149 The General) so a bit sad I won’t be able to listening to it so often.

I’m aiming to start listening/watching Critical Role. I haven’t properly played DnD before (only like 3 30 minute ones which is nothing), as I got sucked into all the cosplays I saw on social media and interesting things I had heard about it and the characters.

I’m more visuals than audio but super enjoying a new form of media!

6 Likes

I tend to enjoy listening to short scary stories, so I’d recommend The NoSleep Podcast: A really talented cast of voice actors perform several stories each episode. It sprang from the NoSleep subreddit, but now has a large following all its own.

Shadows at the Door: For fans of horror in the style of M.R. James, who wrote really creepy, eerie stories that had a big influence on H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King. Not all of the stories are by James, they’ve done stories by authors like Charles Dickens and Washington Irving, as well as some contemporary writers. David Ault, who also performs in the NoSleep Podcast, does all the voices, and afterwards there’s some really funny and entertaining commentary about that episodes story, the horror genre, literature in general, and sometimes an Eddie Izzard or Doctor Who reference.

Knifepoint Horror: Incredibly unsettling, creative stories, usually told in the first person. Have you ever driven past a stretch of woodland that just gave you a bad feeling, as though the land itself was tainted? What would you do if you were snowbound in a tiny rural village and discovered that all the villagers had fled from something unspeakable, leaving you to face whatever was coming, alone?

The Ghastly Tales Podcast: Creepy tales of lurking dread and inescapable terror, by Michael Whitehouse. I first discovered Whitehouse through the NoSleep Podcast, and he’s become one of my favorite horror writers. Come for the scares, stay for his fantastic Scottish brogue narration.

6 Likes

Hello everyone! Since I travel a lot, podcasts have become a necessity in my life. I love ghost stories so my absolute favorite podcast is Scary Stories from Camp Roanoke! Whenever I am on a long road trip, these ladies are my first choice. They incorporate humor in their storytelling so its not too intense. So it’s ok to listen to on those dark winding roads.

6 Likes

If anyone wants some solid comedy podcasts from two different pairs of funny bois, Dynamic Banter with Steve Zaragoza and Mike Falzone is well done, as well as The Gus and Eddy Podcast with Eddy Burbank and Gus Johnson!

8 Likes

I’m very bad at keeping up with podcasts, so far the only one I listen to regularly is The Shrieking Shack, which is a hilarious reread of the Harry Potter books by ex fans. It’s genuinely funny, but is also an excellent critique of the books and of writing in general, I feel like listening to it has made me a better writer. The last two episodes in particular have had me choking on my cup of tea with laughter but I recommend starting from the beginning.

I also love MBMBAM and Welcome to Night Vale. And I think fellow Mounties would probably really enjoy Tanis and The Black Tapes if you like something creepy! They’re all about unravelling weird mysteries.

9 Likes

I have just started Welcome to Night Vale, five minutes in and counting.

I am loving how sinister the pizza thing was. :deirdrexd:

9 Likes

Cecil voice welcome… to night vale

6 Likes

Two girls one ghost

4 Likes

Ooh what’s that one about?

3 Likes

My person opinion and description : It’s an awesome podcast, if you can get past the fact that almost every single episode starts off with 30 minutes of them talking about their lives and being girls who are best friends. I enjoy it because they make me feel like they are my friends, and they talk about things that I’ve always been drawn towards. Some episode I would not recommend, but only because it gets a little boring. I wouldn’t recommend binge listening, as their voices can grate and how often they sidetrack into their personal lives. It is a mix of education and comedy and I would recommend it as a weekly listener.

The summary on their website is :

"Two Girls One Ghost is a new podcast hosted by Corinne and Sabrina. It’s not what you think, or is it? It’s not. It’s a paranormal comedy podcast!

Who doesn’t love a good ghost story?! We sure do and we bring you new haunting tales each week.

Bi-coastal friends bonded by their love of the paranormal come together to bring you
Two Girls One Ghost Podcast. Oh, and there’s a ghost who sometimes shows up too. This is, after all, the most haunted podcast in America.

Corinne works in Human Resources.

Sabrina works as a Writer’s Assistant for the television show Blindspot

We don’t know what Ghost does.

Join Corinne and Sabrina every Sunday and Wednesday as they scare themselves, each other, and you!

Two Girls One Ghost is available now on Apple Podcasts and all other listening destinations. See you on the other side!"

4 Likes

I listen to quite a few. Of late, I’ve really enjoyed Adam Conover’s new podcast, Factually, which is really sort of a less comedic/more in-depth version of Adam Ruins Everything.

Find Your Gods is a great one - if sadly infrequent and erratic. The author who does the podcast is also excellent. Incidentally, if anyone checks out the podcast, the third episode on the Persephone and Hades series includes the story of when I proposed to my wife, @Kallisti.

For fans of horror, I’ll second The Black Tapes (and also second the ending being underwhelming.) The No Sleep Podcast and The White Vault are two more of my favorites there.

I really need to circle around to the second season of Limetown. Season 1 was excellent.

10 Likes

@Psychopomp, Adam Ruins Everything is my favorite TV show to listen to while I’m doing other things with my hands! Super fun and interesting.

New show to add to the list - I’m a big fan of audio dramas, and I just found a show called JÖSEPH (yes the O has an umlaut; not sure why), produced by a group called Ear Epic. I’m only two episodes in, but I’m absolutely loving it so far. It’s sci-fi with bounty hunters and evil robots, so it has a little bit of the Firefly/Killjoys tone, and the sound design is really wonderful. Oh, and really neat art. If you do sci-fi stories, check it out.

10 Likes

Seconding Find Your Gods, for obvious reasons. I can’t believe @Psychopomp forgot The Cryptid Keeper!

9 Likes

I literally popped onto this thread today specifically to mention Cryptid Keeper! It’s become my latest binge listen, and I just finished ep. 100 I think.
The concept is two women sharing their favourite cryptids (and occasional mythical creatures). They each take turns hosting the show and presenting their chosen cryptid to the other. It is hilarious, informative, and respectful to the cultures the creatures originate from. The early episodes have slightly too many bad Owen Wilson impressions for my taste, but it’s a 10/10 overall.

11 Likes

I may have also maybe tweeted the guide to them earlier… :eyes:

7 Likes

I really like Welcome to Nightvale. It’s a story podcast about a town where nothing is normal, but they treat it as normal. It’s hard to explain but so good!

I also enjoy The Jordan Harbinger Show. It’s not a story podcast but there is a ton of cool ideas and interviews on it!

13 Likes