Congratulations 2020 Graduates

Hey there, folks!

The current pandemic has changed a lot of things about how we celebrate, gather, and live. It’s a really stressful time, but as much as life has been far from ideal, I wanted to give folks a space to celebrate something that’s pretty big: Graduation! Whether it’s from high school, community college, graduate school or something else, graduating is a really special time to celebrate all that you’ve achieved.

So if you’re graduating this year, please post something down below (a short blurb, a photo, etc) so we can all celebrate together :aetherdetermined:

29 Likes

I graduated a couple weekends ago and I’m lucky enough that the registrar is my mom so she brought my diploma home this week and we had a mini graduation where she gave it to me, especially since it’s hard to know if she’ll be able to actually do that if we end up having a belated in person graduation or not.

And here’s one of my favorite grad photos!

21 Likes

Beautiful!!

9 Likes

Congratulations! We’re so proud of you :green_heart:

11 Likes

Thank you for this lovely thread, and congrats to everyone else graduating as well!

I finished my MSW last weekend, culminating a 5-year dual degree program. Regardless of the circumstances, it was going to be an adjustment to go from intense academia to not being a student for the first time in my life, but not getting to have any formal celebration or acknowledgement has made the experience very surreal. While I’m not too worried about finding a job in my field (since there’s always a need for social workers) it’s definitely going to be a far more interesting process than anyone expected!

Here’s my cap from undergrad, since I wasn’t able to get any regalia or pictures this year.

grad cap

16 Likes

Congratulations to my fellow 2020 graduates, @Belladonna and @Amruneth! You all definitely worked hard and I’m proud of us all for wrapping up!

I actually graduated on Sunday (when I made this thread), but i wanted to give other folks to post first! I graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelors degree in Anthropology (with honors) and Modern Languages and Literatures. I also got several awards from my departments as well as a shout out during my virtual commencement. Despite missing out on my last few months at my college (which had essentially become my home), my last semester went really well. I finished my thesis on American nationalism and language ideology, and I also had some really great classes. I proud of what I’ve accomplished as a first-generation and low-income student, and I’m super thankful for all of the help I had to succeed.

I’m hoping to get back on my path towards a graduate degree in Anthropology next year, but for the rest of this year, I’m going to focus on building up my personal life. I’ve got a wedding, a possible in-person fall graduation, and a pandemic to deal with, so I’m going to focus on those for now! I also have confirmed a service year position for the next few months and a new apartment to renovate, so I’ve got plenty to do in the months ahead.

Here’s a picture from “graduation;” I didn’t plan to graduate in my high school robes and cap, but I’ve also got my pin from Phi Sigma Iota (a language honors society) and a cord for being a TRIO student.

16 Likes

My day job includes actually conferring degrees at a university, so I want to give each
2020 graduate (regardless of degree) my personal congratulations and love. Commencement is not my favorite thing in the world for multiple reasons, but I know how important that celebration is and think that y’all are getting a raw deal.

15 Likes

Congratulations @Belladonna, @Amruneth, @Remus, and all the class of 2020 graduates!

9 Likes

I always loved the part of the graduation invocation—and it really did feel like a spell—welcoming graduates to “the ancient and honorable community of scholars.” That always sent a shiver down my spine.

12 Likes