Book Shop News

It sure does seem that way…

5 Likes

I just got my Martin candle last night and it smells amazing! I haven’t had a chance to burn it yet, but I’m excited! Maybe it will knock some of that famous Marty focus into my brain and I’ll be able get some real work down on my novel!

9 Likes

That makes me so happy to hear! I’ve been burning a Martin candle in my office this week and the leather and sandalwood notes in particular make the room smell like a library. I’m glad you like it too!

7 Likes

I got my Deirdre candle a couple days ago! I haven’t lit it yet, but it smells so nice!! It’s very reminiscent of a perfume I mixed for myself in high school and wore like, every day, but with a dash of something else that adds a nice balance.

9 Likes

Thank you for letting me know! I wanted to do a more floral scent but also wanted to balance the florals with sweeter elements like blackberries and lemon, and a touch of cedar and amber to add some earthiness and “age.”

8 Likes

My Martin wax melt for my office is arriving TODAY! and I’m so excited to smell it.

I bought this cool Edison bulb wax melter for it, because yes, I am ready to start a fragrant life.

13 Likes

That’s such a cool melter!
I saw this one on TikTok:

It flickers and looks like a little flickering, wood-burning stove and I’ve been coveting it even though I DO NOT need one more wax melter.

13 Likes

Ooo, this is gorgeous! Definitely gonna need to find myself a cool warmer like this when I finally manage to sort my desk situation out in the new year!! May need to ask you guys for your fav places to get melts (other than AG, of course :laughing: )

11 Likes

The Martin wax melt arrived in the mail yesterday and let me tell you, I was hesitant because I’m not a big coffee person (read: not at all. Don’t @ me about that) but everyone in my family is so the actual scent of coffee is pretty welcoming woah this is a long sidebar
Anyways, I was hesitant when ordering because some coffee scents just … ain’t it …

But this wax melt is DIVINE

Just lovely.

It’s not in your face, just this subtle warm scent that makes a room feel favoured and worked in and cozy and ah it’s perfect for Martin.

I can’t wait for the Alistair and Ben candle to come :spiritseergimme:

12 Likes

OMG, that makes me SO happy.

I completely agree about coffee-scented things and I bought no less than ONE DOZEN different versions of coffee fragrance oil, trying to find the perfect one. Not sweet, not acrid or bitter, not “flavored” with vanilla or hazelnut… I wanted the smell of coffee beans and the steam coming off a cup of coffee and I didn’t stop until I ended up using a perfumer’s distillation of coffee instead of an oil marketed for candlemaking. There’s VERY little in the finished formula, but I couldn’t have a Martin candle without coffee. It just didn’t make sense.

14 Likes

Woah that’s some serious dedication to finding the perfect scent. Just shows how invested you are in every aspect of your company, and I appreciate it dearly.

I think all your efforts more than paid off. :cjheart:

12 Likes

:cjheart: Thank you.

I love learning new skills and really enjoy making things for you all, especially when it’s a “concept to creation” process like these candles.

I could try and expand and make a line of candles based on popular books like a lot of (great and smart) candle makers do, but I’ve learned these past couple of years that when I instead focus on this world and enriching this experience for us, instead of trying to appeal to everyone, I am happier, you’re happier, and we slowly grow with people who “get it” instead of making an extra buck or two from people who don’t.

14 Likes

Absolutely, positively :100: - the scent is warm and inviting. The leather is more “vintage book” than “new leather jacket” and it’s spot-on perfect. Nice work, @CJB!

10 Likes

Thank you!!

6 Likes

You’re welcome!

4 Likes

Dude, just got my candle melts, haven’t used them for their intended purpose yet, but they smell so good. I love Alistair & Ben but Martin’s is interesting, like it’s a barely there scent but it smells familiar and conjours lost memories, maybe I’ll be able to smell it better when I melt it and more specific scents. Deride is very floral smelling and slightly overwhelming while also smelling good but I’m hoping it’ll balance out once it fills a whole room.

10 Likes

:cjheart:
Deirdre definitely gets more complex in the melting/burning. Let me know your thoughts once you’ve had time to try them out!

8 Likes

My half-scented Alistair and Ben candle has definitely gotten stronger now that I’ve burned it a few times. The first few times it was hard to smell but it’s really nice now.

9 Likes

I finally got my Alistair and Ben candle (it took a holiday detour to Tennessee and Mississippi) and I really love the packaging AND the scent. I still haven’t burned away my Vivindity’s Glade candle (it’s just so pretty, plus it works well as a passive air freshener), but I’m excited to burn them both in the future.

10 Likes

First time I burned the Martin candle, I was sitting next to it thinking it wasn’t very strong. But I got up to make lunch and when I came back into the room and it had deepened to this wonderful warm coffee/woodshop scent that sort of settled into the room. It was very cozy!

11 Likes