Basecamp 34 Update: 3/17/20

!!!

Seven more words:

No one remembered the books but her.
The great silver bells have finally rung.
A knothole that goes on for days.
The fathers called it the old fort.

Now some reading to do. Thanks for the update @Eaves!

19 Likes

The way adept abilities seem to function now feels really appropriate to the new age. The Wellspring put magiq into the world not to be hoarded but shared, so it makes a lot of sense to me that adepts would find working together and sharing their abilities more effective and that their power individually seems reduced.

21 Likes

I wonder how they ended up in these places after DG used them to battle The Storm.

19 Likes

Interesting question! I was assuming from what Eaves described that the setup from the Assessment was based on these objects originally. My guess is that they’ve been there a long time, and Deirdre either borrowed/returned them, or created some sort of magical “apparition” of them to use, or something that allowed them to more or less remain in place where they’d always been.

18 Likes

Just in case it’s useful here’s the info I pulled together from my notes and the wiki about the 4 artifacts in ‘The Myth of Elainnor’ by Fletcher Dawson.

It’s doubtful knowing which artifact was associated with which city is useful in finding the shrine, but you never know.

Galifanx - shield - Mexico City
Gladitor - sword - Paris
Durkonos - helmet - Saint Petersburg
Aorthora - armor - Montreal

18 Likes

Oh man I’m so excited to see how the powers continue to develop in this new age!
I’ll see if I can dig anything up on Paris or Montreal, especially with the items.

I like the thinking that the shrines/artificial leylines were always kind of there and just needed to be activated, like a back-up generator.

15 Likes

All right I’m back with an infodump on Montreal, because I know more about that city than Paris. I’m not sure how useful any of this will be, but here you go.

Giving directions and the sounds of passerby makes me think it’s outside in a highly touristy/populated area, so I mostly looked downtown/in the Golden Mile. Old Port also gets a lot of visitors. I’ll refine the search when we get a bit more info on it, so this is just some preliminary options.

Continuing the theme of armour, there’s the Black Watch Armoury in Montreal. It’s right in between several neighborhoods–to go from the McGill Ghetto/Milton Parc community down to Chinatown, Old Port or the Quartier des Spectacles, it’s highly likely you’ll pass it or at least near it. It’s home to the regiment’s museum. According to Wikipedia it’s currently closed for renovations.

There’s a few other armories in Montreal and one in Westmount, but honestly the Black Watch is my favourite. It also is built like a fort, which could tie in with Ilya’s phrase.

The Armoury is a pretty straight shot down Parc Avenue from the George-Etienne Cartier monument. You’ve got to detour into the park a bit to see the monument up close, but otherwise you just keep going straight.

The Notre-Dame Basilica is down in Old Port. It’s only got one body buried in there, the man who designed the basilica. Saint Patrick’s Basilica is another option for religious places and is pretty nearby. All of the beams in it are from the same white oak tree, which must have been absolutely massive.

They’re pretty much all within walking distance of each other.

15 Likes

Hey guys, I should mention that I’m here, in Montreal. I can give you a bit of a local direction, though we’re staying in place at the moment. I can see it as a ley line. There is a lot of energy here. If not because of the city, because of the long history of the river.

I’ve tried to absorb everything you guys have written, it’s hard to see which clues have been used up by other places. I can tell you right away that, though being an island there is no sea air here. There are a lot of different accents here, on and off the island - and that doesn’t include accadian, which is from other provinces more to the east. You don’t hear it a lot. I’m surprised russian ranks so low. Russians are an old AND new population. I come from a belorussian background (adopted) - and I currently live in a building owned by russians. A lot of languages can be heard here. …And we have a long history regarding languages… Spanish is possible, but you don’t hear it much. Personally, my mind went straight to the dead sea or maybe northern Africa, not north america when it was described that way, but I don’t know much about those places, and Russian really a strange clue.

Anyway, let me know if you guys have a clearer idea of what you need from Montreal, or what certain areas ‘mean’. Old Fort sounds like Quebec city. Too bad it wasn’t the Old Port. That, we have.

The basillica is the most recognizable interior and gets put on a lot of post cards, but I’d say our most important building like that is actually St Joesephs’ Oratory. No other buildings are allowed to build taller than it. People go up the steps on their knees, and it has one of the largest domes in the world. Stuff like that. It’s also technically a “shrine” of some sort.

12 Likes

Oh and people ask me for directions all the time. Everywhere. Even I ask for directions. It’s a sort of complicated place. Also there’s a huge underground. There’s lots of secrety spots down there (as well as shopping and the bottom of commercial buildings). It’s very fun to wander around down there.

12 Likes