Basecamp 34 Update - 1/16/20

I told @Catherine to stay home on Saturday and work the spell from there. I’ll be in the office, ready to go.

21 Likes

It was my impression that we were going in reverse of the Cataclysm, and therefore @Saberlane was going to kick it off and the rest would add to the building of the spell. That being said, I suggest an early morning HST kick off (dawn would be magiqally potent but I’m not sure we want to make anyone get up at dawn) and then scroll across timezones in a big magiq “wave”. So after Saberlane kicks us off, the Eastern Time adepts would post their stories and images of items, then those of us in Central, the Mountain (how approps) and then Pacific, our Aussie contingent, and so on.

15 Likes

Oh! Kind of important: did we need to work anything out for the activating of the aliquary? Or you just going to see what feels right in the moment @Saberlane?

18 Likes

My plan now is to use the aliquary as my object, but we have no way of knowing if that will be enough to activate it. If anyone has thoughts about anything I should add, I’m all ears. Looping @Eaves into this as well, in case they have ideas.

18 Likes

What do we know about the aliquary itself? Here’s the note that came with it (at least temporarily) from Avis Green:

This object is called an aliquary. It is an ingot of pure magimystic energy. Aliquaries are sometimes left behind when a powerful magimyst dies. We left this for someone like you to find, and since you have, then the efforts of my family were not completely in vain.

[A blurred out passage]

I can’t imagine what the world is like now. I’m not even sure where I am if it has come to you finding this. But with this aliquary, you will have a chance. You were led to this. Chosen to find it. Use it well, but judiciously. It may be all the magic that’s left.

Fight for wonder in the world, whether it is our world, or some new and unknown world beyond.

Remember that nothing is by chance.
Trust in magic,
Avis Green

The aliquary was in the magical cabinet that we eventually unlocked, but didn’t it also appear in that photo of @Saberlane that he didn’t actually take in City Hall Station? Could that location have something to do with all this?

14 Likes

I went and double-checked the old Cataclysm directions, and found this final piece of verbiage that was used to activate all the gathered magiq:

Definitely feels like we need a quick redo on that as well.

14 Likes

Perhaps a rework to go with growth such as:
See what we see in you
Flourish in the new light
Power granted freely
… ???

10 Likes

Do we want to keep this as a separate piece or integrate it into the piece we already have? Cause I could see it integrated to create more uniform stanzas. But having it be its own thing at the end would also be neat.

Seed to be planted
Filled with potential
Waiting for spring to come

With love and with light
Refract through our hearts
Gleam bold strong and true

See what we see in you
Flourish in the new light
Power granted freely

Be reflected and expand
Go out into the world
To shine forth anew

12 Likes

I like the 3-line stanzas!

9 Likes

The chant is just lovely. Seed and prism imagery together makes me happy!

Going to get to work on my story and finish up my object tonight! And since it’s my birthday today, I’m going to gather up all the goodwill and wish really hard for our spell to work. Any boost possible, you know?

14 Likes

@Saberlane, I was wondering about the aliquary activation, also. The way we designed the rest of the spell relies on objects that, while we personally think they have the potential to seed magic, are perfectly ordinary as far as we know. The aliquary, by all accounts, is…not that. To clarify, I’m thinking of the aliquary here as the peculiar filigree cage necklace that appears to be holding the ingot of pure magic, but even by that definition it’s a special thing. I dunno what sort of metal can actually contain pure magic, but I get the feeling it’s not just run-of-the-mill sterling silver.

Augo, you said the aliquary was also in the photo someone took of Saberlane in the City Hall Station? I don’t remember a whole lot about those weeks, and I can’t see the picture very well to be able to tell - can you walk me through why we think that might have happened? Asking because I’m sort of wondering whether Sabes doesn’t need to do something different than us in order to “unlock” the aliquary so that the seed spell can draw bits of it out for planting, and I’m wondering if maybe the station, or a well, or something else could assist with that.

(Also wondering whether we don’t need to do something more to protect the seed objects from being picked up by the Silver, but maybe I’m just being paranoid? Someone check my work, please! :laughing:)

14 Likes

If we were going to reverse Cataclysm and have Sabes go first with the aliquary with the rest of us giving it places to go (or the other way around), I think the lines serve a related but different purpose. The eight lines used on the 18 magiqal items last year were pledging power toward the one big thing, then released by the four lines Saberlane used to essentially pull the trigger.

Full reverse would have Saberlane using four lines to release the aliquary’s power, followed by everyone else using the other eight lines to guide some of that power to their items.

Prism of old power
Open yourself to this new age
May your memories and magiq
Be shared and multiply

…maybe?

11 Likes

Ooo okay that makes sense, and I really like that the phrasing speaks to the aliquary directly!

9 Likes

That’s a good point @Viviane. I haven’t been back to the station since the doors to Neithernor closed, and I would have to risk evading security again to get there. And if I get caught we miss casting tomorrow, which is a pretty big day, power-wise.

Do you think the well that is the Ackerly Green offices could be strong enough, or should I risk it?

@Ashburn, that’s clever.

14 Likes

Yeah, it is a lot of risk, especially when we’re missing so much information. Is the aliquary really tied to the station in some way? Does the station have enough power when the absence of free magic has basically cut off all of our known doors to Neithernor?

I’m currently leaning towards the idea that the office well would be the best choice (because in my mind the depth of a well trumps the past appearance of a door), but I might, might, revise that if we can definitively place the aliquary in that mysterious photo of you taken at the station, because of when that happened and why it would have appeared there.

EDIT: Also open to other locations that people think might have appropriate power/significance, but currently can’t think of any.

15 Likes

I’ve had the nagging feeling we were missing/forgetting and I realized, we haven’t mentioned Marty or Cags. We haven’t head anything from or about them since we found the door in the veil. Would we have enough time to reach out to them?

13 Likes

I do recall it mentioned that Marty was running around to a bunch of different locations per Lauren’s instructions (that sounded an awful lot like it could be priming the magiqal lines?), but I don’t think there were specific locations listed.

That said, we haven’t tried directly contacting him in a bit… @Marty.60, you able to get through yet?

14 Likes

I agree, Viv, I’d guess that the office is the best place for it. There might be other magimystic places like Central Park, but I’m not sure if they have the same power (or type of power) that we’re looking for.

And yeah, @Ashburn, that sounds great! So it would go:

Saberlane:

And then the rest of us would say:

Do we want to change the chant at all, or are we happy with what we’ve come up with (particularly @Amruneth)?

15 Likes

Okay. I’ll be ready. How does 9 AM Herman Standard Time sound, just to make sure everyone is up and ready?

I was just thinking today how magic and the lost books have been impacting me most of my life. From losing my memory with the '94 Mountaineers to my kids finding the Guide to Magiq, from my guardianship of Ackerly Green and Woolie briefly taking up residence in my head, to the lingering effects of the Cataclysm, the Book of Kings has been quite an age.

I don’t know if it was a cumulative side effect of a life of magic circling me, but there have been notable changes in me since the Cataclysm. It started with getting my past, present, and future tenses mixed up early on, (full disclosure, Catherine has been drafting most of my posts over the past few months as my symptoms progressed) and has recently escalated to recalling random memories and not knowing if they already happened or if they were going to happen. Like a sort of semi-permanent déjà vu. It’s also created the added issue of me being less and less connected to “now.” Deadlines, obligations, friends and family, they’ve all suffered for it. It feels like the magimystic equivalent of never being in the moment.

But it’s not all bad. When Ackerly Green came back to me, I was pretty lost in my life. And it gave me a purpose. Focus. A family of friends to join. And I’m so grateful, to the company, to you. And I’m ready to begin this new age together, doing what we do best.

I’m going to spend time with my family tonight, New Age’s Eve, as it were, but I’ll see you all tomorrow morning for the dawn of a new age. Not just to watch it, but to bring it into existence.

Never fear, and above all, wonder.

20 Likes

We’ll be with you, Sabes.

Hey BC33, be sure to post your verse when you’ve performed it. Also, post a description or photo of the object you’re using if you can. If any of them later become “magimystically inclined” because they were used in this spell, it would be good to have a record of them.

Imagine how much easier our lives would’ve been the past couple of years if someone had been keeping track of all this stuff. :eaves:

BC34 is on standby, ready to join our fellow Mounties around the world.

Here’s to the new age, fam. We’ll see you there.

20 Likes