19. The Secret Society: The Dreamer

It isn’t weird. He deserves to be saved.

Edit: @Rimor that is a really interesting possibility. Our only issue is… Sabes has never been able to get into Neithernor :confused: but this might be a good time to workshop that issue.

15 Likes

Maybe the solution to that problem is hidden in the old subway station Sabs visited?

12 Likes

So, atm we have the following:

Fall below the five waterfalls and trade a whip-crack for whiskey.

Something about the “whip-crack for whiskey” made me think of Aus as an old prison territory, with those that servered their time staying. I also vaguely remember my mother telling me about a waterfall she saw when she visited, but I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me.

In her city of the dukes, find the fifteen creatures standing guard.

We have an Animal Wall in Cardiff, not far from me. No idea about the city of dukes part.

Coyotes drink in the place of wells where the black stars lie.

Black Star canyon seems like a very good guess (anyone near?)

The father of gazelles hides a phantasmic collection in a minuscule place.

Abu Dabi again seems like a good suggestion, but unless we’re dreaming again I’m not sure it’s an option (unless I’m missing something).

The proclamation tree casts shadows on the heads of the beautiful island.

Another possible Australian location

A war of knives in a city of light follows a path to a star.

City of Light could be Paris, Anchorage, Birmingham US, Curepipe, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Lyon, Perth, or Tanworth to take a few from the Wiki list.
Plus we have a War of Knives in Haiti.

14 Likes

And to add to the War of Knives thing, there was some link I found earlier between someone involved in it and an occupation of Santo Domingo, which I found is named for a saint linked to astronomy…

Which I think is why I didn’t initially mention it when I found it, lots of tin foil there. :tinfoilhat:

11 Likes

I can say without a doubt that I can’t be much help with this search. My only thing is that, as @Nimueh said, Dubai doesn’t really work for an answer unless we’re dreaming it.

9 Likes

It’s the same color as the window above. I think it’s a little piece of wonder, a little piece of magiq. And I think you brought it home with you.

11 Likes

Sounds about right. I tried to enhance the image to see what was in your hand, but all I get is a blob. I then remembered I’m terrible at enhancing images. I figured you were playing with your wedding ring or something like some people do when daydreaming.

I’d go with Augustus’ idea. It’s way better.

13 Likes

There’s something weird going on with the clues, and that’s coming from the guy who wrote them.

Like the city part doesn’t match the location part? We have @Nimueh’s wall of animals which looks like a sure bet, but a clue that doesn’t seem to match where she lives. And a clue that really seems to lead to Abu Dhabi, but as far as I know, we have no pen-holders there. Sure, we could magiq our way there, but these clues always led to a Secret Society pen holder in previous iterations.

I wonder if I messed them up? I mean, I’m not myself lately (:drum:) but I feel like something wonky’s at work.

The animal wall feels right, so maybe we can work backwards from there to try and figure out what’s going on. How is Cardiff connected to “her city of dukes”?

16 Likes

http://www.cardiffnantes.co.uk

Nantes, a city in France, is commonly known as la Cité des Ducs “city of the dukes” and is twinned with Cardiff so could that be a connection?

Maybe we’re looking for two place for each clue like a two key lock?

EDIT: Oh I just found something else! Anne of Brittany was raised in Nantes! She was also the countess of Nantes later on. So that could be who the her is in “Her city of dukes”

14 Likes

Abu Dhabi is twinned with:

12 Likes

Yeah! Maybe one part of each clue refers to a twin/sister/brother city!

EDIT: :tinfoilhat: I wonder if this is a product of how @Saberlane and Woolie are now “twinned” together.

EDIT 2: @Robert beat me to the punch. What would we do without you? Brisbane looks like an attractive option for @Skylad as the pin-bearer for that clue!

14 Likes

Awesome work!!!

13 Likes

Okay, I have tomorrow morning/afternoon mostly off, so I’ll go take a look at the wall (and maybe get some summery shopping done, cause damn it’s starting to warm up here).

14 Likes

Keep an eye out for any unicorns as that could make another connection to Anne of Brittany and Nantes! :unicorn:

13 Likes

The “twinned” angle seems to make sense, great work, @Rimor!

14 Likes

One of the problems I’m running into right now with Blackstar Canyon is that the “town” it’s in is an unincorporated territory. Not a lot of those have sister cities given their very, very small size. Maybe there’s another way it could have a twin, though?

I thought it was interesting that the Atlas Obscura page mentions “La Llorona,” which is a Latin folk tale that arose out of the early colonial era. For those who don’t know about the story, you can learn a bit more here. However, almost every source I had heard of before this, as well as this source, state that the myth is linked to the modern-day region of Mexico. While there was certainly a lot of movement between that space and the American southwest (including where Blackstar is), I’m curious why Atlas Obscura specifically links La Llorona to this site. Thoughts? Is this even related?

Edit: Oops, I realized I didn’t want to double-post, so here we are. I moved from the Proclamation Tree, which @Nimueh pointed out might be a clue. The tree is closest to the city of Adelaide (the city of churches), which has a small list of sibling cities:

• Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
  • George Town, Penang, Malaysia
  • Himeji, Hyogo, Japan
  • Austin, Texas, USA (@Echo)
  • Qingdao, Shandong, China

Of those, only @Echo is in one of those cities! However, I’m not sure how the rest of the clue relates to it.

15 Likes

oh god, christchurch, huh…

5 Likes

Okay guys, I’m at the wall! No notification yet either, but I’m gonna walk a little further along just in case.

Edit: We got it one!

14 Likes

Well done Nim!!

A good luck charm taken to war

From what I know of the world wars a lot of soldiers took photos of their beloved to war for good luck

15 Likes

Yo, @SpiritSeer… i dont suppose a solo person can attempt scrying figuration? Do you know of any way i could do it? I can write a song and perform it in meditation, perhaps? I have a place i want to check.

5 Likes