17.5. The Secret Society: Spell Discussion and Planning for Woolie

I am potentially such a fool. The Angel Museum is right across the street from the college and sits in an old abandoned church that was gonna be destroyed before they bought it. I can try and check in a bit if y’all think it might be worth it.
Link: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/angel-museum
I don’t know about fences, but there is construction in the area.
Or there’s that church that was demolished in the last year or so. It’s an empty lot, but there were fences surrounding it until very recently.
Beloit is also called the “Gateway to Wisconsin” but that’s the only fence connection I can make.
Also I have no idea about the sun…

EDIT: See Court of Mysteries on AO, That might be it…?

9 Likes

Haaa. Sorry, guys. Apparently my mundane job doesn’t actually care that I woke up with a nasty scrying-related headache in the name of saving a very important ghost friend; they appear to “want” “things” from me at “work,” or something. Hilarious. :rofl:

But yeah, I fell asleep pretty quickly, and it was like my regular dreams were being interrupted with this sort of…flickering? One second I was in my own dreams, and then I would be somewhere else. I was cold, and I was outside, surrounded by snow. There were people all around me, looking up in the sky to this long, sleek white path. I looked up with them, and saw people flying through the air - ski jumpers, I think? - leaping off of a big hill.

And then, suddenly, while I was watching one of them, I suddenly just knew that the path would be gone soon, and the wild would overtake the peak where it stood once again. I can’t really say why - maybe it was due to the snow melting? Or maybe the site would be abandoned for some other reason, I don’t know. But then, all of a sudden, I was alone again in the cold.

Soo, yeah. I’m gonna get back to my spreadsheets and try to ignore this stupid headache, and also this great little post-magiq tingling that’s going on deep in my being. Any guesses?

15 Likes

Other potentials for the sun church as I’m calling it:

(Crestline, CA)

(***strong contender) It has the sun, the fences (I’ve visited-it’s really blocked off), and the worship aspect.
(Santa Cruz, CA-where I’m from but not where I am rn)

11 Likes

I have wanted to visit Court of Mysteries for YEARS omg! I forgot you’re from right around there!

11 Likes

So some sort of mountain or hill used for skiing, with an abandoned air base or other aviation affiliation.

11 Likes

It’s kinda cool just to look at and then leave. You can’t really access it cause of the fences. This stuff seems to be tied to the idea of home, at least with the dream stuff. Maybe some long range magiq? I’ll check out the angel museum tomorrow, and if that doesn’t work then I’ll see about potentially doing some spell-weaving if y’all agree with me that it’s a possibility.

8 Likes

Oooh, oooh, new information. Just for kicks I did a Wikipedia search for ski jumping hills, and apparently there is a class of ski jumping hills so large that jumping from them is classified as “ski flying”? And there aren’t many of them, which would narrow it down. (Sorry I didn’t get this before, I don’t know much about ski jumping.)

On the other hand, there are some issues I’m still not getting.

1. There are currently only 5 hills in the world classified this way; four of them are in Europe, mainly the Nordic regions and Germany, and one in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so if we’re still hoping for things that are near Secret Society members, that might be a no-go.

2. I feel like “view upon a hilltop” is relevant somehow to narrowing down the location, and none of the currently operating ski-flying hills seem to have. Maybe in the name?

12 Likes

So to keep tabs on the current locations:

• “As the hunter’s moon ascends, find a feast for all the senses” - Feast of the Hunter’s Moon
  • “Seek a long-abandoned sun that’s now rotting behind fences” - Palace of the Golden Orbs
  • “Find a monument to travel and a way to let in light” - Stained Window
  • “And a view upon a hilltop that once was used for flight” - ???
  • “Feel the wind over the water, where bodies lie below” - Windover
  • “Then find the lonely, wayward stone where prairie grasses grow” - Big Rock

It seems like quite a few of these are on Atlas Obscura. Maybe we should check out mountains/ski lodges on there?

12 Likes

There is literally a town in California called Mountain View that’s listed on Atlas Obscura.

There is also this?

And also this.

10 Likes

I know of an old abandoned ski slope back home, not really sure it fits here though as it wouldn’t really have much of a view and was used for downhill skiing, rather than jumping. (For reference:

8 Likes

Well, with places close to Mounties, there may be a couple options?

From Dey’s mention of Mountain View, CA

After that I went looking for abandoned ski jumps. It looked like the tallest of the ski jumps from the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary is no longer in use. The rest are, so not exactly fitting with the wild taking it over, but… :ascendershrug:

9 Likes

We have like two Mounties near Calgary, and one is an Ebenguard to keep with the trend. That could be it!

7 Likes

Mountain View is like 1 hr from my hometown. If we have any Mounties near San Jose, that might be relevant, but otherwise, probably not

Edit: This is also assuming we need to have some physical connection to the location

6 Likes

I’m not sure the distance is as relevant this time. Windover (which is pretty much a certainty) is an hour or more from any given Florida Mountie.

7 Likes

So, the question is, do we want to start assigning Mounties for the dream spell? Even if we’re still unsure of the last location, maybe we can at least deal out the others? Personally, I can do it tonight if needed, though I don’t really see any of them as being “close” to me.

9 Likes

The ski jump is still there. Still maintained, just not used for competitions anymore. Although in the summer they attach a wicked zip line to the top of it. It sits on top of COP (Canada Olympic Park) on the huge hill that overlooks a good portion of the neighbourhoods around it. It’s quite the landmark in that part of Calgary. Going to the park is easy, getting to the jump is tricky without clearance.

10 Likes

Again, I’m ready to go but my plans got a bit complicated and I’ll have to skip tomorrow night and Saturday.

However, I can volunteer to venture to the unknown location. We might not get the exact answer but at least some hints?

5 Likes

Urghhhh. Guys, I think I’m still getting reverberations from the scrying spell. Yesterday I just assumed I couldn’t stop thinking about it, but today it’s more like, “Oh, here, let me interrupt this completely unrelated thing you’re doing with SNOW VISION.” Which is kind of unhelpful because a) I am trying to do things that are not skiing, and b) the weather is finally kind of nice and I keep getting crazy cold flashes in my office. Not nice, Magiq, but I get your point.

In that spirit, let’s play a round of “Interpret Viv’s Wiggy Magiqal Daydreams!”

So I keep seeing this really distinct flash of the top of the inrun for a particular ski jump; I feel like I would recognize it if I saw it, but I don’t think I can describe it in a way that distinguishes it from any other ski jump. It’s definitely not standing anymore, that much I can tell for sure, and I keep getting a sense of the words big hill. I feel like that should be self-explanatory if we’re looking for a ski jump, but it comes back every time, big hill. Big hill. Hnnggh.

8 Likes

:bashfacepalm:

From the page (so you can see how it used to look side-by-side):

8 Likes

“Originally Big Hill” :eyes:

7 Likes