10 Small Businesses We Love (And Think You Will Too)

Originally published at: 10 Small Businesses We Love (And Think You Will Too) - Ackerly Green

We love showing our favorite small businesses some love every year as an alternative to the Black Friday craziness, and this year especially, small businesses need our help more than ever. 

While we also have some new designs up in our Book Shop that we think you’ll love, we want to share some of our favorite small businesses we’ll be supporting this year for our holiday shopping as well! Note that we’re not affiliated with these companies in any way, we just love them personally.

C.J.’s Small Business List:

1. Vegan Treats Bakery

The absolute best vegan sweets I’ve ever had.

1.  Leaf & Lore Candles

I love Megan’s aesthetic and scent choices and she’s one of the nicest people I’ve run across in my time on “bookstagram.”

1.  Manière Noire Shop

A queer couple from my favorite city in the world, Montreal, the entire shop is devoted to “The Noire Lifestyle.” They have, hands-down, the best spooky enamel pins. I have about a dozen of them now.

1.  Gallery Gerard

My obsession with the art of Justin and Annie Stegg Gerard runs deep. I’ve bought several prints and pins, including an absolutely adorable “Mermule” print that hangs in my office and gives me serious Herman the Hippocampus vibes. If you’re able/into supporting artists, Annie’s Patreon offers incredible digital freebies and discounts in the gallery every month.

1.  Fable & Lark

I first met Evan Levy when Devin and I took the Harry Potter-themed tour of The Met a couple years back. Her company, Fable & Lark creates amazing tours of museums inspired by beloved books and stories. Though based in NYC, Fable & Lark is now doing virtual tours and scavenger hunts so everyone can enjoy the magic.

Catherine’s Small Business List:

1.  Greenlight Bookstore

This is my neighborhood bookstore in Brooklyn! They have a fantastic selection, host regular (now virtual) events with the community, and their booksellers are super friendly and knowledgeable. 

1.  Purl Soho

AKA a yarn crafter’s heaven. They have some of the most beautiful yarn (as well as yarn that won’t totally break your bank), plus a bunch of free and cheap patterns online. Their staff is also really helpful if you comment online or come in with a question about a pattern or a project, which is always appreciated.

1.  Goods for the Study 

Part of the McNally Jackson umbrella (another NYC indie bookstore fave!), Goods for the Study has, quite literally, all of the goods. Come for a new notebook, leave with four extra ballpoint pens and a new vision for your productive life. 

1.  Clementine Bakery

Another neighborhood favorite, Clementine specializes in vegan and gluten-free treats and local produce. The owners also have a sister bar down the block called Izzy Rose, whose delicious to-go cocktails were a quarantine staple of mine. 

1.  Literary Emporium

The only non-local shop on my list, I found Literary Emporium on Instagram and never looked back! They’re based in the UK and have the cutest literary-inspired pins, prints, and apparel. I personally have the Pride & Prejudice shirt and two prints with quotes from Virginia Woolf and Oscar Wilde hanging on my bedroom wall. 

We also want to take this moment to plug ordering books through Bookshop instead of Amazon if you don’t have a favorite local bookstore of your own! Books always make fantastic gifts, and if you’re looking for suggestions, you can check out our profile for our community-sourced reading lists. (Ackerly Green may receive a portion of the proceeds if you order a book from one of our lists.)

Happy (and safe) shopping, everyone!!

13 Likes