Werk Werk Werk Werk Werk: Professional Stuff

I work as the General Manager for a carpet cleaning business in my state as well as a manager of a cigar lounge.
Work days for carpet cleaning
Mon-Sat 6am-4pm
Work days for Lounge
Wed-Fri and every other Saturday from 4pm-10pm meaning not a lot of time for fun.
The work is difficult and my body is being demolished by the carpet cleaning side but I it pays the bills. I wish I could work from home tbh

8 Likes

I realized I never posted here that I (finally) finished up paramedic school and have been working as a paramedic for my local fire department! It’s taught me a lot!

Hopefully I can finish up my nursing degree here in three years and continue on!

16 Likes

Congratulations!!!

4 Likes

Congrats!!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! To both of you of course!

5 Likes

Hey everyone, so I’m a chemistry technician at a nuclear plant. The job involves a fair amount of monitoring water chemistry to ensure the chemistry is in spec to promote the formation of a passive corrosion layer on the pipes (nuke plants have a lot of metal interfacing with a lot of water, and the metal lasts a lot longer, and the plant is a lot safer under the right chemical conditions.) Additionally we’ll analyze for the concentrations of radionuclides to monitor for certain undesirable conditions (corrosion in primary systems, fuel cladding failure, and the like.) We handle the analysis and permitting of effluents (making sure we aren’t releasing high levels of radiation to the public.)

Now that all sounds really fancy and important. Functionally, we perform a lot of routine analyses, and our instruments handle the bulk of the hard work. The job isn’t particularly difficult or taxing. The running joke around the lab is that we’re overpaid pool boys. When everything is working with our instruments, and nothing is wrong with the plant, the job tends to be pretty boring. I work a rotating shift, so three weeks of days and two weeks of nights across a 5 week rotation, typically 12s. Because of the shift work and how boring the job can be, I’m actively trying to work my way into a new job within the same company. I interviewed for a PI analyst job last week, where I’d be tracking corrective actions to reported problems and ensuring that appropriate actions were taken as well as trending conditions to make sure that if a condition is a repeat offender, it gets appropriately escalated.

15 Likes

I guess I’ll poke my head in here :crazy_face:
I’m currently unemployed a freelance actress/acting coach/playwright/director/deviser, Licensed Massage Therapist/energy worker, and Tarot reader/life coach.
I’m currently working to *re-stage the Prague Quadrennial show I did this summer so it can be presented for the University my director works for.
*(read: completely recreate something new from scratch because my “director” is a moron)
It’s a site-specific show, so I’m having to rely on my counterpart to help me rewrite it since the sites in Prague are not the same as the sites where we are staging it, and I am not located where we are staging it, and he’s being a lazy, unhelpful jerk about the whole thing busy right now. :roll_eyes:
Luckily for him, I am determined to make this amazing, and since I’m good at what I do, it will be.

Once this project is done I’m going to set up a web presence as a Holistic Wellness Consultant - it’s the best I can come up with for a “professional job title” which actually incorporates all my areas of study. :flower_playing_cards::crystal_ball::raised_hands::slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:
EDIT: We don’t have a comedy/tragedy mask emoji? :astonished::slightly_frowning_face:

11 Likes

I’m a stay at home mom and I homeschool our daughter. More out of sheer necessity than anything. She’s trans, bisexual, and somewhat gifted and we live in the Bible Belt. I’m technically also a freelance graphic designer and photographer, but I don’t make a notable amount and a pretty good portion of it goes to my preferred charity.

15 Likes

Oh man it’s my first day back to work and for some ungodly reason the school decided to make it a Friday? Like tomorrow is the weekend. Who did this to me. One day of school is rough. The students are squirrelly.
Anyways, I’m making them draw me instagram posts of what they did over the summer, and play a game to get new seats. The less work we all have to do the better.
I’m also threatening each and every class with the lost and found. I’m doing an overhaul of my classroom, and I’m tired of the stack of textbooks hanging out. Who loses a textbook? I’ll be throwing them out or using them for paper mache if no one claims them soon.
I have become the Strict Teacher ooof.

11 Likes

:performing_arts:
I knew I’d seen it somewhere!

6 Likes

:performing_arts: Aha!!! Today I learned a thing :performing_arts: :tada::confetti_ball:

5 Likes

So a couple days ago I got a job opportunity from a local, private company that basically takes what I do now to a whole new level. I’d be working out of a plane, rather than an ambulance. The pay would also be so much better than it is now, though the company hasn’t given me an exact amount but one of my friends that works there says he makes a decent earning.

What they do: They basically go anywhere but active war zones and places that are currently too far to be considered effective (parts of europe, asia, australia, oceania, etc.) for flying out of the south east U.S. They pick up united states citizens that have been hurt somewhere else and want/need treatment inside the U.S. Example being, someone breaks their leg on vacation in Brazil but wants to be treated in the united states? Boom Iggy gets paid to take care of them on their way back to the states. Though I’d still get some hard calls, for example the company also sometimes has to deal with GSW’s (Gun shot wounds) but honestly that’s not too bad.

My only concerns are that first of all, I would have to miss classes a good portion of the time. Another reason is that I’d be away from my (:star2: New! :star2:) girlfriend, my family, and my friends. My last reason im going to list here is that I’d also not be around too much for my Wagoneering duties.

Edit: Any thoughts on what I should do are overwhelmingly welcome! Questions are too!

16 Likes

I had a friend a few years back who had a passion for, and opportunity to pursue, a similar career path. It was his dream job; a hard one for sure, but someone’s got to do it.
If that’s where you feel called, answer. I have a feeling you’ll always have a home here, no matter where or when you’re able to pop in.

9 Likes

After poking around in here I see a couple other space nerds @Aurora @Sellalellen :cjheart:
I’m currently studying aerospace engineering but am already working in the field as I’ve been working towards my degree. Most recently I’ve been interning at a space systems startup working on structures and propulsion for our newest orbital launch vehicle and our Cube Sat program.

12 Likes

@Psychopomp - I work closely with our local nuclear plant! You do important work, and I appreciate you.

I work in emergency management (planning and preparing for natural disasters and such) for the local government. It’s a lot of paperwork, but I also get to write exercises and help people learn how to respond and recovery if there’s a super bad day. Think of exercises like LARPing for first responders :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Important but boring if everything is going well :joy:

8 Likes

Still trying to find my way around everything, and I’m so glad I stumbled onto this thread. You guys do some really cool work!

I currently work part time for the city Department of Education, helping to review education research proposals. It’s pretty interesting, but I’m mostly biding my time until I can submit applications for clinical psych PhD programs.

14 Likes

I am loving the number of space/science nerds on here. I’m right along with you. I am currently working on my PhD in inorganic chemistry, essentially trying to make the worlds smallest magnets. I’ve been a little late to the uptake after being super duper busy at work, but I am so glad I’m here!

18 Likes

Back to the drawing board. Didn’t make it two months before being laid off…

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll find something good that you enjoy soon.

5 Likes