Tinker's Journal

Oof…fam, it has been a MONTH, and in that month my life has mostly consisted of work stress and moving stress…and some interconnected work-moving stress.

Moving updates: I got all the pre-move-in steps finished off so I officially have an appointment to pick up my keys next week! And the moving company dropped off my packing materials at the end of last week, so I’ve been able to start boxing things up. So far, I’ve got all of my books in boxes - the last time I moved, I had never moved my full library before and I just filled medium-sized packing boxes with books…and then felt incredibly bad for the movers I hired when I was unpacking and realized how heavy they actually were. So this time, I’ve tried to spread the books out so the boxes will be some books and then some lighter but bulkier things on top. Unfortunately, at the moment then, that leaves a lot of half-filled boxes throughout my living space. But it’s something!! It’s nice to be able to do something finally so I’m not just stewing in the planning stage without an outlet.

On the other hand, now my brain has refocused my stress on the post-move-day cleaning that needs to be done in this house. We’ll have about 4-5 days to get it done…I’m just stressed at the moment because my roommate still hasn’t finished her move out (which she had intended to be done with by now) and is currently out of town on a “post”-pandemic trip…and might have at least one more scheduled before the end of the month?? so there’s some things that are stressing me out with regards to that…but maybe once I’ve finished packing and can focus on what all the cleaning tasks are, I’ll feel a little better…and obviously there’ll be some planning with my roommate, but she left town right when the stress around this part had just started kicking in, and I don’t want to spoil her trip over it.

And lastly…work. We finally have word on when we get our graduate student offices back! Unfortunately, we can’t all just go back to our desks…there’s apparently a pretty big shortage of grad student desk space, so the whole assignment system was revamped. It’s kinda complicated, but the tl;dr is that I won’t have a desk of my own anymore. Since my work has both computational and experimental components, the department says I get 50% of a desk, and someone else will also be assigned to the same desk for 50% of the time. That would be fine…except my experimental station is also shared. The person who’s sharing my desk has lab space in another building, so maybe they’ll be spending more time there and I won’t have to play musical chairs on a daily basis…but we’ll see.

Real talk, I’m just excited to have office access back. I’ve been really privileged that working from home over the past year+ was an option, but it’s been really hard. Not having my colleagues around and being alone for most of my waking hours, plus having my schedule influenced by when my roommate has been home (a combination of feeling weird doing serious work while she was home and off the clock and also wanting to maintain some social time), has been difficult to manage. And although we’ve had lab access for almost a whole year now, going into the lab wasn’t always the best or lowest-anxiety option for me. On the stress front, that’s switched now…having my roommate packing (and more so rearranging things and leaving unpacked things in shared rooms) over the last month has made my space much less conducive to focusing and working, so I’m feeling more comfortable with the idea of going to the lab and spending more time there and I’ll definitely be going to my office as much as I can as soon as they let me.

I wish I had more fun news to report but that all has been taking up just about all of my brain space recently. Hopefully the next few weeks will bring some less stressful, more interesting news :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Sometimes this: :cjheart: is better than anything else I could say.

7 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve had so much stress for so long, but super soon it’ll all be done hopefully :eaveshug:

As for the book problem, I been there and suffered.
Even though you already have boxes and such, my pro tip to offer: liquor boxes. I go to the nearest liquor store and ask if they have spare boxes (the staff will always gladly avoid having to flatten more boxes.) The boxes are usually a great size for different sizes of books, small enough that it’s a reasonable weight to lift, and they’re normally made pretty sturdy so that glass bottles don’t fall out the bottom of the box when you try to lift.

7 Likes

The move is, for the most part, done! I am in my new apartment…though there’s still some tetris-ing to do to unpack everything. And some move-in maintenance (my hot water currently doesn’t work which is…unfortunate).

I just finished the final clean and check of the house I was in…keys are on the counter, door is locked, all that’s left is to wait the month and a half and hope the landlords were reasonable with the security deposit deductions. Which…honestly, a bit of a concern right now. They dropped some stuff on us 10 days before the end of our lease that were…questionable. So I’m in the process of writing a wrap-up email preempting some things we expect them to make note of/blame us for. But hopefully it goes better than we expect and there’s no problems and it ends fine.

My mom came out for the week to help with moving things, which was really nice. I haven’t been home since the before times, so it was really great to see some family…though I do feel bad that it was under stressful, busy circumstances. I’ll be going home for a bit in October, when it’ll be past peak season at the shore and I will be able to walk directly into the ocean and stay there for 2-3 business days until I feel better.

But in the mean time…more unpacking, and then back to business as usual.

8 Likes

It has, once again, but the hottest of seconds since I’ve posted here last. It’s been a very busy almost-two-months. I got moved into my new apartment and had lined up some furniture to sell (a small couch co-owned by me and my previous roommate that we procrastinated selling before we moved, and a futon of mine that was just a little too big for the new space and also it didn’t have armrests, which I need because I sit like a gremlin)…and within like, a week of being in the new place I slipped on some wet stairs and banged up my leg real good. I had to bail on a dance performance (which I felt terrible about), but thankfully I didn’t break anything. Remaining unpacking slowed down, and I postponed trying to sell the futon so I’d have a place to elevate my foot. It’s pretty much all the way better now - only a little bruising and a tiny bit of swelling left, though I’ve got another little scar for the collection from some friction burn on my knee. And I did manage to sell the futon, so I’ve been rearranging furniture and actually setting up my decorations. The last thing on my list is to figure out how to hang all my art, and then it’ll almost be like I live here!

Work has been, honestly, a bit of a struggle recently. Since we got our offices back, I’ve been really trying to avoid working from home as much as possible because I don’t have a separate “study” in my home anymore so there’s less ability to compartmentalize my space. But on the other hand, the department redistributed grad student desk space so my lab has about 1/3 the office space we used to, and all the desks are shared between people. So figuring out how to balance everyone’s routines for using the office and trying not to monopolize the desk if my desk partner needs it too has been…interesting. It’s meant that I’ve been tending to get to the office mid-afternoon and stay later into the evening, which is fine for my work style but meant that I didn’t go grocery shopping for almost a month because my schedule stopped being compatible with the bus schedule. So that wasn’t great. And to really pile on, some really nasty sleep problems cropped back up in June and it’s taken until about this week to start to get a handle on them again…so that didn’t help.

Also just…since the beginning of the year, I’d pinned a lot of hope for feeling better/less stressed on having my office back (and especially in the spring, on moving to my new apartment). And like, I do feel a bit better I think, at least not having two big things quite so up-in-the-air, but not as much as I’d been expecting. So I’ve made an appointment with the university counseling office. It’s definitely one of those “the best time to do it would have been when I started feeling like there was a problem, but the second best time is now” sort of situations. But my appointment is Monday, and I’m hoping it helps.

And hopefully now I can be a little more active on here again…I’ve been lurking on the forums, but it’s not been quite the same and I’ve missed it here!

7 Likes

Hello friends!

It’s been about another month which feels…fake.

Starting right up where I left off…I did have that meeting with the counseling office, but it turned out to be more of a screening to see what kind of services would be the best fit. It was good, in a way, because I’d been telling myself I was being dramatic about some things and whoever I ended up speaking to was going to pretty much tell me that. But they didn’t do that, which was nice…but then it was about 3 weeks until I could get an actual full appointment after the screening. So…less than ideal. That’s happened now though, and it went better than I thought it would. Unfortunately, the school counseling center doesn’t have the resources to do long-term individual counseling so I’m in the graduate student group program for now, and once I get a little further in that I might start looking for individual help off-campus.

In happier news, I got to go home for the first time since the start of gestures broadly at everything. Which also meant going to the shore for the first time in two whole years (too many years). My family’s preferred shore town was originally built as a Victorian resort, and a lot of the old houses and inns were preserved, so I did very much feel like an elderly Victorian person going to the seaside because “the sea air would do me good”. But it did, so I’m embracing that aesthetic.

Work’s been busy but a bit better since getting back. Sleep’s bad again, but I’m working on it so hopefully when I remember to post in a month, I’ll have good news!

10 Likes

It’s a new year and surprise! I’m still a disaster! It’s been a long time since my last post and I feel like so much has happened but also October could have been yesterday.

I think in a lot of ways I feel better than I did when I last posted…sleep is still less than ideal, but I’m trying my best not to beat myself up about it because, spoiler, that doesn’t help. I’m also letting myself take steps to help feel less bad generally, and I’m trying to give myself time to start doing things that will just make me feel good. In November, I started a pottery class at the local art museum. I did pottery in high school, but wasn’t able to keep it up through undergrad (an engineering schedule isn’t super conducive to taking studio art classes for fun). I had been thinking of taking this class in 2019 but it was sort of expensive and then…ya know…2020 happened. But the museum opened classes back up and I really needed something, and it has been amazing. I’m continuing with it this month too, and hoping I can keep swinging the finances so I can keep going. The people are amazing, and it’s so good to be back in a studio.

On a more…mixed note, something came up literally the day before I flew home for the holidays that’s been weighing kinda heavily on me. It’s not really a bad thing (though it felt like it at the beginning), but it’s been occupying most of my brainspace for the last month. Big picture, I’m going to be fine, and once all the pieces fall into place and I have a plan that I can be genuinely excited about, I will report back! In the meantime, I would appreciate any good vibes you can spare.

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking about how long it’s been since my last post here, and while I’m not 100% ready to share anything too in-depth I wanted to check in. Things have mostly been “a lot” since the start of the new year. A lot of bad, a lot of stress, though on the road to “better”…but hopefully in the next two-ish months there’ll be some good that comes out of all of it that I can share.

All this to say, I’m still alive and here and very excited for things to come!

8 Likes