Tending the Mindflame

breathe of the wild and bayonetta are also super fun. Ooo i didnt know katamari was out for the switch, I might have to pick that up ha. I think my earliest memory of minecraft was when I saw someone on the pc using like commands or something to spawn stuff in or maybe they were chatting? I don’t know, I just remember that because of that I thought minecraft was “nerdy” and “to hard” ha. How wrong I was.

6 Likes

A lot of the stuff I considered “nerdy” I now actively take part in glances at my magic the gathering decks
But, to be fair to minecraft players, the most I can build out of creative mode is basically a shack :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hello! Sorry for all the posting about the place, I’m excited about the world of magiq but too unfocused atm to sit down and read through the books just yet, so here I am. Goblin isn’t my real name (ha) but I’m having trouble with names atm so it’ll do! (I like goblins). I really like effective use of the medium in storytelling, and for me that means playing a lot of games! I also like looking very deeply into trivial parts of history or parts of fictional worlds that were never intended to be thought about in detail - hopefully that’ll be useful here. I’m a historian-in-training and have access to some pretty great search resources, so hmu if you can’t find a reference or resource (though goodness knows there’s probably a few historians here). Sorry for the ramble, thanks for the welcome and for all the introductions!

15 Likes

I’ve just realised that I never introduced myself here :laughing:

My name is Rimor! My full name is James autem rimor but that’s a bit of a mouth full so Rimor is just fine! Rimor is Latin for Explorer which is just perfect for me as I love exploring new ideas and discovering new things!

I studied applied animal management in university but I was never able to complete my degree. Now I’m stuck at home playing video games, reading, photography and a bit of pet care every now and then!

14 Likes

Hi there!
I am Olivia or Blue eyed human. My username formed after I first needed one for other sites and me being too literal for my own good.
I’m currently studying at university for illustration which I am enjoying very much (apart from the heavy work load but that is to be expected). I also really love D&D and have quite a few characters to share the stories of at this point since they have all had quite an interesting time in one way or another. Aside from that I practice witchcraft, mainly focusing on more divination through tarot and spirit work because of encounters when I was younger.
I’m still making my way through the books but once I do I hope to join in as much as I can!

14 Likes

Hey friends! My name is Joshua, although Pocket works too since (as I explained elsewhere on the forum) enough people independently came up with the nickname for me due to my short stature. I’m a yoga teacher / actor / perpetual student, but I grew up really wanting to write a book so I think this forum appealed to that sense of me.

I really loved Greek mythology growing up which in turn led to an interest in archetypes, so like @Blue_eyed_human I’m also getting into tarot, but more to deepen my understanding of characters, storytelling and archetypes and explore people through that lens rather than for any divinatory purposes. Besides that I’m vegetarian, Canadian (though I live in London), a proud Ravenclaw and currently studying how yoga can supplement stage performance. Anyone well-versed in psychosomatics, emotional holding patterns in the body, or physiology of singing and dancing hit me up!

I just finished the first half of book one, but I too am looking forward to delving a bit deeper into this world and community! :smile:

16 Likes

Hello everyone! I answered something like this already on a welcome thread, but I thought this would help me get closer to my guild mates! My name is Alexander, but you can call me Alex for short. I collect antique books and crystals. I am currently learning how to read tarot cards and runes. I grew up loving anything fantasy and it seems to have stuck with me to this day. I am currently living in Nashville, TN…but this can change in a year. Who knows haha.

I am just now starting on the second half of book one and I am so so so hooked. I think I’ll have it done by the end of tomorrow.

I am excited to get to know all of you! Feel free to reach out!

17 Likes

I’m more of a demi or transient Thornmouth perhaps something of a book borrower and companion for midnight tea conversations. I may often be found either under the Mindflame or in one of the old dorms or kitchens reading an old volume next to my hobnail tea pot and a lantern or asleep under the same book.
As I Enjoy quiet companionship here is a list of songs you will most likely hear me listening to:
*Flow - Crooked Colours
*Nagashi - Idealism
*Reflection Eternal - Nujabes
*Yin and Yang - Uyama Hiroto
*D’vocean- Eastghost
*Hills and Horizons- Fujitsu
*Faded- Zhu
*Air - Blvk

13 Likes

Hi, I’m Kaia. My username is actually what I’m in the process of changing my name to IRL due to the fact that I’m transgender. My name came to me out of nowhere one day, and when I googled it I found out it’s a name in many cultures, all with different meanings, and all of them resonated with me. I am a voracious reader and love researching random topics in my free time, so definitely a Thornmouth, haha. I’m really excited to be a mountaineer, and to get to know my fellow Thornmaw.

16 Likes

@Alissiya @Sapphire I hope the strange is treating you both well :pray:

6 Likes

I’ve put this off for a bit, but here we go.
My username is my gamer tag on Playstation (without the hyphens I must use for the platform), although it originally is from the character in Lewis Carol’s novel Alice In Wonderland of the same name. It was one of the first characters in a book that truly stood out to me, and since then he’s been a bit of a fascination of mine.

I spend my off-time playing video games on PS4, or relaxing with some books. My literary interests are widely varied and I find it hard to find one genre to call home, although cosmic horror has always had a firm grip on my mind and heart. Lovecraft is my favourite author of all time, and his works have shaped much in my life.

I doodle as well, and my profile picture is a (slightly altered) self portrait. I don’t have much experience with environments, but I’m working on that currently. Same thing with female faces, I just can’t make them look female enough I think. But if anyone wants me to make an attempt at their portrait, lemme know!

Aside from those things, I drink Kraken rum, smoke Blackwood port cigars, usually wear flannel, vape large clouds, partake of mind altering substances, and am a proud fat cat dad. Also, I’ve always wanted to live in a lighthouse, so this is pretty cool :+1:

13 Likes

I too have put this off (I might be egocentric, but I don’t like talking about myself).

I’m Miliham. Its a gamer name I’ve used for the past (oh geez) almost 20 years. I’m an avid reader with many hobbies and interests, though usually you can find me curled up with a good game with an intriguing story.

I have been through college several times and though I don’t have a degree its fairly obvious why. I have studied Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science, and most recently (still ongoing) Game Design.

I am open to most discussions and usually you can find I at least can add some sort of voice to almost anything.

I’m excited to sit near all of you and read and research and discover.

13 Likes

Hi all. I’m Tributary. I’m still a bit new here, a bit lost. But I think I can at least give a summary of what I can and can’t do to help out around here.

Think about miscommunication: perspective, using the same words to mean different things, different words to mean the same thing, trouble translating, people who can’t find tone in writing. The magiq between words is uncomfortable for many, but it’s a comfortable space for me. In the mundane I’m a teacher, so I have some practice helping people reorganize and reframe their own thoughts and communication, and reinterpret others’. I’ve also got some experience with hypnosis, on that front: the words slipping into the mind.

History is a weak spot for me. I recognize its importance but I struggle to absorb it all, retain it all, connect it all. This applies to most aspects of continuity and retention in other fields as well; I don’t handle broad bodies of knowledge as well as I handle important core concepts (first principles) and how I can understand, reinterpret, and apply them (derivation).

I know music fairly well-- not the lists and lists of things other people have made (I try, but I have the same issues as with history), but the ways sounds can fit together. I can learn to play new instruments, new songs, fairly quickly, though not to most professional standards of quality. And I can transcribe, transpose, arrange. Time and key signatures are largely a non-issue.

Mathematics is comfortable at its core, but I can’t remember all the rules and patterns from every area. Knowing what little I know about this community, there are likely others who are much more comfortable with math and computer science than I am, though I’m more comfortable than average if you’re in a pinch.

I’m learning how to take care of plants, but I’m still new. I’m slowly improving my cooking. I’m bad with deadlines. I’m bad with getting motivated. I’m still learning about everything that’s happened here in the last several decades; see what I said about history. I’m always happy to share what I know or learn what I don’t. I can’t promise I’ll remember; see what I said about history.

I think I’m inclined towards peering arts and second mind; I hear that’s common for mindflame-tenders. I might also understand… choreomancy? communion magics? I’m not sure what they’re all called, what they all mean.

I’m happy to meet you all. Let me know if there’s anything I can do. In the meantime I’ll continue trying to learn our history. It will keep me busy enough.

16 Likes

Hello @Tributary! I have a feeling your skills will come in handy here, and we have others to fill in where you lack. I understand the confusion with the history of the Mountaineers. It’s a lot at once. If you are confused by anything or aren’t sure about the details, feel free to ask me. :cjheart:

6 Likes

Greetings, I am Graevan. It’s a name I’ve used as my Other since I started playing World of Warcraft (which I have been clean from for years).

Ever since I saw Back to the Future I’ve been fascinated by time travel and figuring out the Rules that are employed, not just in that movie but in every instance it gets used. So when I saw that the first Thornmouth affinity was Time Shifting I knew, without a doubt, that I’d landed in the right guild.

I’m a lover of stories but when I’m reading stories that involve magic I find myself focusing, once again, on the Rules of Magic that the author uses. Be it the “Will and the Word” or a wellspring of power that is tapped and shaped with great strain, I’ve always had an eye to learning how Magic worked.
How things work in general. Back in February I spent a Saturday night in Newcastle (drunken capital of North East England) attending a cosmology lecture hosted by Prof. Brian Cox.
Be it Time Travel, Magic, or the Universe at large, I know that there is a part of me that already has the answer: It works because it does.

In the mundane I work in a factory, tending and using machines. Setting them up, running them, keeping them clean and working as best as I can. Learning how they work. Seems to be a theme here.

I also wish I could write my book. I’ve been trying for years but I just can’t quite get it down on paper correctly. I haven’t ever truly given up on it, and I’m starting a brand new approach, so here’s hoping I can get it to work this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is a genuine pleasure to be here, and I look forward to tending the flame with you all.

15 Likes

Have you tried reading anything by Brandon Sanderson? He loves coming up with different magic systems, each with their own set of rules. I think you might enjoy his work.

7 Likes

He’s next on my list actually. A few friends have recommended him, and he already had my attention for finishing the Wheel of Time books.
From what I’ve gleaned he uses everything from cliché hand-wavery to rock eating geomancy, so yeah, I’ll be diving into those after I’ve caught up on the Ackerly Green books.

6 Likes

That sounds very interesting. I’ll have to look into his boks after I finish the stack of books I already have lined up. I also love unique magic systems that are well thought out.

5 Likes

Hello all! I’m Cynthia and I am a tulpa (an entity created in the mind, acting independently of, and parallel to one’s own consciousness). I started out as a character in my host Kaitlyn’s slice-of-life comics, appearing as a logical voice who called her out on various occasions. Since then, she has found that she has needed my support more and more; through that I was able to gain the ability to act independently and have my own thoughts and interests. She has such a huge imagination, and so many stories tucked into the folds of her mind, but she sometimes struggles with functioning in daily life. She also tends to freak out at minor things, so I’m there to help her calm down and keep her composure. Together we make to-do lists and manage her planner so she can make every day a productive (or restful) one.

I love Harry Potter, piano music, and lemon tea (though Kaitlyn hates the taste so it’s a very strange sensation when we drink it). I’m currently learning how to play chess and am reading books about the history of witchcraft and the occult; anything that has to do with the existence/integration of magic in our mundane world is something I will look into! I’m glad I found Ackerly Green, and I feel like I really belong here.

13 Likes

Hey! Im Charlemagne! I have just finished the first book and I’m onto the second one. I’m super excited to get involved in all of this and I’m excited to develop my Character with you all. I’m proud to have been put into Thornmouth! I’m a DM for DnD and I do quite a bit of LARP!

13 Likes