So, Time Travel

Well as time is the four dimension of the ten dimensions theoretically it should work if we can enter the four dimension completely. Humans can see into the fourth dimension only in a forward fashion (this is the continuation of time) but if we can enter the fourth dimension then we can move freely throughout time. But that would require an insane amount of energy and as three dimensional beings we would no be able to stay there long or the dimensional strain would rip us apart. Is it possible? Yes. Should we attempt it? No

6 Likes

Another thought I just had in the way of an example: 4-dimensional travel might look like Billy Pilgrim in Kurt Vonnegutā€™s Slaughterhouse Five, an individual experiencing events out of order but otherwise (in physical form) impacted normally by chronology. Five dimensions is when things start to change, Ć” la Marty McFly in Back to the Future or the titular Donnie Darko.

5 Likes

I donā€™t personally believe itā€™s possible, but if it WASā€¦ I like the idea that thereā€™s hundreds of billions of different timestreams all running parallel to each other, and time travel isnā€™t jumping to various points on your own timeline, but simply jumping from one timestream to another.

But thatā€™s just me

10 Likes

I actually favor this myself. Like time travelā€¦ We see the past as being fixed, since itā€™s already happened. But if someone invented a time machine fifty years from now, and tried to travel to the past in which Trump is president, they might actually end up in the alternate dimension in which Hilary is president.

5 Likes

Hmmā€¦ Well I know my dreams have sometimes told me insignificant events that will happen in the future (or at least it seems that way, general dĆ©jĆ  vu present)ā€¦ So that might be evidence of time travelā€¦ Or, you know, just magiq.
But anyway, I think that creating a time machine could be possible (I mean who knows whatā€™s in store for humans technologically speaking) but itā€™ll be bound by tons of ethics and so whether or not it should/will actually be used is the question.
(Been watching Steins;Gate, if anyone is familiar with that, sooo)

6 Likes

So, it took me awhile but I finally stumbled upon this thread.

Time and space are intrinsically tied, though time can be thought of as The Rate At Which Space Happens.

We all time travel, albeit at a rate of 1 second per second. This rate can change. The faster you travel through space, the slower you experience time. Approaching light speed causes time to pass noticeably slower for you relative to someone stood still. 1 hour for you may be 1 year for them.

The reverse is also true. The slower you go, the faster you experience time. Have you ever done absolutely nothing, being so completely bored that you check the clock after an hour has passed only to see itā€™s only been five minutes? Yes, thatā€™s time travel and it is that easy.

The difficulty is changing that rate to something negative, so that you experience time going forward, but for the rest of reality it reverses, allowing you to travel to the past. This requires you to do less than absolute nothing, to reach a level of boredom that borders on the catatonic, but there remains a problem. The moment you start to travel backwards you would occupy the same space as your past self, which is impossible because the same matter cannot exist in the same place as itself. You canā€™t overlay yourself, so the attempt fails.

But what if you could, at the very moment you start to travel backwards, teleport? If you could instantaneously move yourself to a position where your past self was not then you could be free to experience the world working in reverse (though the world at large would also experience you, seeing you in reverse, which would be beyond wierd). Once youā€™ve reached the target time youā€™d need to teleport once more when you shift the rate of time back into a positive direction, so that you are not locked into the position of your time travelling self.

The best plan then is to enter a teleportation booth at point A, shift time backwards and teleport the booth (with you inside) to unobservable location B (to avoid people seeing a wierd backwards walking person), then teleport to an unobstructed point C when you return to the normal flow of time.
Simple, eh?

Until we have teleportation we can never have temporal manipulation.

I hope you enjoyed this episode of ā€˜Graevanā€™s Ramblingsā€™ ! :grin:

10 Likes

This is fascinating and hurts my brain - I love it!

As Iā€™ve understood time travel :tinfoilhat: there are multiple timelines occurring concurrently. Every time a decision has to be made (for instance, I could have chosen not to write this post, or chosen to post the previous one I started writing but deleted) a timeline is created for each choice to reach its own conclusion - but each of those choices leads to other choices creating more time-dimensions so that every possible experience is experienced.

As I understand the Mandela Effect :tinfoilhat::tinfoilhat: two (or more) timelines are reaching the same checkpoint - a singularity event of some sort. [spoiler]In the Magiqverse this would be the point at which someone or something attempted to write the BoB out of the BoW/Kā€¦ I thinkā€¦[/spoiler] :thinking: Now, in order to be able to prove any of this, we would have to be able to observe both past and future events simultaneously to see how each action we take each moment both has been affected by and will affect every single other event throughout all of time and history.

If you are a super :tinfoilhat::crystal_ball::sunglasses: like myself and choose to buy into the idea of fortune tellers, mediums, and reincarnation, it may be possible to gain some sort of consensus about some of that, but very, very little of that is 100% verifiableā€¦ unlessā€¦ magiq :wink::rofl:

8 Likes

So I was thinking about time travel and I started to think of it not as a long line but a layered caked. Each layer is a different year and both happening at the same time along side each other. So 16/08/2019 is happening at the same time as 16/08/2018 and the year before that and so on. That way it makes time travel a lot more plausible as youā€™re not having to travel a long a long line but can just punch straight through to the parallel dates. Kinda like how wormholes are explained where to get from a to b you fold the paper in half and punch through. So theoretically the best way to travel back to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln would be to wait till the day and month he was killed and jump through that way. Obviously though the further back you go the harder itā€™ll be to punch through so you might have to do it in stages. Probably the quickest and easiest way to jump back would to be wait till the 29th of February which only occurs every 4 years. That way there is less cake to cut through and then from there you can hop back till you get to your chosen date

8 Likes

This theory makes sense within Western cultures acceptance of itā€™s standardized calendar, and I think as long as youā€™re traveling within that agreed upon time- space context it could probably work.
However, Eastern calendars follow moon cycles (and are probably far more accurate because of it), so the further back you go, and the further outside of Western time-space you travel, the more work itā€™s going to take to find an accurate time-point to latch onto.

One of my theories has been related to the idea of anchor points in time; that there are some events so exceptional that no matter how time is augmented, those events will take place regardless. Assassinations and coronations, for example. It takes a lot of micro events for those to occur, and would take too many micro adjustments to change them, therefore if you can use those as time travel landmarks, you could more easily navigate the time in between them.
An example - if I wanted to go back in time and change something I did in college, I could gauge a trajectory between Obamaā€™s election and Prince Williamā€™s wedding to Kate Middleton - I might not hit the exact day/time Iā€™m looking for, but if I could get close enough before the event occurred, I could potentially affect the circumstances surrounding past-me to change past-meā€™s decision without directly interfering.

8 Likes

Ooo thatā€™s an interesting addition! Iā€™d completely forgot about the mess of the Gregorian and Julian calendars! So the bigger the butterfly the more of an anchor point it can be used as! Another solution would be fix todays calendar to use as a navigation system and then work backwards from there. The only problem with that is you donā€™t have a fast lane and things are gonna be very hard to navigate.

8 Likes

This is, near enough, how Bill and Ted do it.
Even though they are in a different Time, time continues to pass both where they are and where they came from.
Their phone booth travels through wormholes that connect different points in spacetime.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve just thought that the problem with landmark time events is that it might rule out the possibility of interdimentional time travel as some events might have occurred different, like ww1 not happening because a certain pivot point in time swung the opposite way like William booth missing Lincoln

8 Likes

Agreed - 'cause Iā€™m all about multi-dimensional travel as well, but I guess in my mind those are two different kinds of travel. I can take my bike across town, but if I want to get across the country it would be easier to take a bus, or a train, or a plane, and each of those is going to be a different travel experience and energy expenditure.
So in my mind, I can time travel OR dimensionally travel, but then Iā€™ll need to ā€œchange busesā€ to do the other portion of that tripā€¦ unless somehow thereā€™s, likeā€¦ a quantum bridge between ā€œhere/nowā€ and ā€œthere/thenā€ā€¦ like a quantum train where you can pull a lever to switch tracks when youā€™re already moving, but there still needs to be a station you can pull into?
EDIT: I think trying to travel time and dimension travel in one step would be like trying to ride my bike all the way back in time to the point of diversion, and then navigate the various timelines forward into a different dimension, where it would be easier to make it two shorter trips on two different buses?

7 Likes

Oooo thatā€™s an interesting thought, as Iā€™ve always thought of it like the Drs TARDIS but now that youā€™ve made me think about it it seems a lot more impractical to use just one method of transport. I guess jumping between dimensions would be harder due the uncertainty of the major events. So itā€™s kinda like going to a different country; sometimes itā€™s easy like England to Europe but if itā€™s England to America itā€™s gonna take more effort

7 Likes

Well, the TARDIS is a magiqal and elegant machine - I think she gets a pass for being able to navigate time/space/dimension when, where, and how she and the Doctor choose :beverage_box: (it was the closest thing I could find to a blue police box)

7 Likes

So if it takes more energy to change wildly different dimensions would it also be right in thinking that the further back in time you go the more power youā€™ll need?

Also wouldnā€™t going forward in time be more perilous as you have a higher likely hood of slipping into an alternate dimensions or are timelines fixed in place?

7 Likes

You ask really inspiring questions!

Iā€™ve always kind of seen ā€œthe future from where you standā€ fluid, but ā€œthe past from where you standā€ as at least more fixed - not * totally* unchangeable, butā€¦ Youā€™re more familiar with the terrain, to some extent. That giant *mountain (*major event) may be immovable, but that **river (**series of small events) could be altered, and if done with enough information and planning, that river could change the shape of the mountain, right?
The future has some similar major events (if weā€™re agreed that time is concurrent/non-linear) but without some kind of map, you might kick one tiny little pebble and accidentally cause a volcano eruption. Butterfly effect, right? But since you got a firm launch/return point (here/now/the present where you stand) it should be easy to retrace your steps, undo the pebble kick, and get back on the ā€œrightā€ path. Since I operate under the assumption that every choice creates a new dimension, that means that the alternate future doesnā€™t stop existing, itā€™s more like you just created a new track without its own historical ā€œstationā€, so it creates a sort ofā€¦ Bubble dimension, where the moment you kicked the pebble is a permanent major event for them; it becomes an anchor point/*mountain that can never be changed in their timeline/dimension.

8 Likes

I think going forward is under our control. We can choose the rate at whichwetravel forward (based on our relative speed). But I donā€™t think you can go back. I havenā€™t seen any evidence of it and the paradoxes are too massive. Itā€™s definitely a cool concept though.

Also in stories I tend to not like it because it usually gives off the same vibe as ā€œthe wizard did itā€. :joy: There are some good time travel stories though.

6 Likes