How Do You Describe Enlightenment?

Similarly there is a quote from the works of Carlos Castaneda who studied the shaman sorcery of the indians northern Mexico:
The body must be perfection before the will is a functioning unit.”

3 Likes

As far as enlightening texts goes though I’d have to say the Dhammapada is one of the best.
I want to say the Tao Te Ching as well but I haven’t studied enough of it, but the quotes I have read were wonderful.
Also the writings of Paramahansa Yogananda.

4 Likes

bows I have many teas to share! And many books. I’ll need to go through my Joseph Campbell collection again. Also because you mentioned Germanic/Viking philosophy have you read The Well and the Tree? It takes an archaeological approach but I found it very philosophical as well.

3 Likes

It sounds like a good read, archaeology and philosophy combined is very appealing. I think a large pot of tea will be need for all the discourse to follow :pray:t2:

1 Like

Another excellent work. It used to belong to my Dad. I used to read it when I was a teenager. He gave it to me not too long ago as he has no need of it anymore.

3 Likes

The definition of enlightenment states that it is “the action or state of attaining or having attained spiritual knowledge or insight”, although I believe that the wording is quite interesting. Enlightenment is often discussed or mentioned in correlation to the soul or spiritualism, but is also granted upon insight. I would venture to say that the specific breed of insight would be that of the unknown or otherwise beyond typical comprehension. Such insight is a common theme in cosmic horror, whereas an individual (or in some cases whole communities) will become witness to some otherworldly, godly, horrid thing that has a strong connection with the cosmos we reside in.

The cosmos is what I believe to be the key to enlightenment, and more specifically, our insignificance in the face of cosmic change or scale. If one can come to terms with the cosmos and understand that true understanding is only having the ability to understand absolutely nothing, then perhaps enlightenment can be achieved.

Then again, I would doubt heavily that said enlightenment would lead to forsaking knowledge at all, as some kind of knowledge is needed for even the most base of bodily tasks.

2 Likes