FOUND: Fragment Twelve: Into Hell - Aorthora

The mention alone is kind of interesting :slight_smile:

Time for you guys to take over prodding things for a bit, time to try to sleep in this horrific heat.

3 Likes

Oh, I totally empathize. I’ll get to work on looking into the Gardens of Magic and the Rubaiyat. Rest well!

2 Likes

I found the text of the Rubaiyat! It has a lot about the moon and stars but I’ve yet to find anything that links it to either the constellations we already have or the the locations.
http://classics.mit.edu/Khayyam/rubaiyat.html

4 Likes

Just picking out some verses from this text that may be linked:

XXXI
Up from Earth’s Centre through the Seventh Gate
rose, and on the Throne of Saturn sate;
And many a Knot unravel’d by the Road;
But not the Master-knot of Human Fate.

XXXII
There was the Door to which I found no Key;
There was the Veil through which I might not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was–and then no more of Thee and Me.

LXX
The Ball no question makes of Ayes and Noes,
But Here or There as strikes the Player goes;
And He that toss’d you down into the Field,
He knows about it all–He knows–HE knows!

6 Likes

There are s couple of verses regarding birds, maybe the swallow?

2 Likes

So we have a mention of a Gate, another polytheistic god, a Player, and a Field (perhaps a meadow).

When I read some of it there was a mention of Nishapur, a city in Iran that was along the Silk Road, perhaps pertaining to the “Road” mentioned. Another interesting thing is that the seal of the city resembles a hoop.

3 Likes

However, remember that it has to point to locations!

3 Likes

Naishapur I think modernly is Neyshabur, but is in Iran. Jamshyd was a great king, so a lot of the poem is dealing with the myths of ancient Iran.

Fits with The Swallow…
The manuscripts Abdu’l-Jalil al-'Umarf aka something else aka The Swallow wrote, are held in the University of Cambridge.

4 Likes

I was just thinking, maybe to get further in our discovery we need to actually know what the ‘The Myth of Elainnor’ by author Fletcher Dawson is, because there may be clues to what we’re looking for in there. Although, I can’t get very far when I search it!

3 Likes

I searched a bunch for this early on and couldn’t find anything regarding “Elainnor” or “Fletcher Dawson” as an author in any capacity. Let me know if you discover something!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m having real trouble!! the thing that struck out to me when reading the Library request responses was when she said ‘Just wanted to give you a heads up that there was a document filed along with the myth summary.’ and ‘all we have on record is a partial summary of the story’. So the summary of the book has to exist somewhere!!

4 Likes

Searching for information on Fletcher Dawson or even Elainnor is coming up with nothing on my end. There were a few things about “Eleanor” and even a Myth of Eleanor page: but nothing came up that would prove to be helpful.

It’s hard to search for a summary when the actual book can’t be found.

2 Likes

I’m trying to think of an alt name for it in maybe another language, I don’t know

2 Likes

I just can’t find anything!! The closest I’ve got is Eleanor of Aquitaine coming up, but I think it’s a red herring!

2 Likes

What is the connection between Eleanor of Aquitaine and a Red Herring?

2 Likes

Oh, I just kinda feel it’s not relevant! Because there’s no myth around her or anything and she was a queen consort, what do you think?

2 Likes

Crikey, I melt in an unusual exam season heatwave and I come back to Omar Khyam and constellation maps! well done chaps.

There’s a chance the chance Fletcher Dawson’s book may be a lost book, one that we only have the merest hints of.

If Omar Khyam himself is the swallow, can we pin a location on it for the map? Maybe the location of the original text Edward Fitgerald translated?

4 Likes

She lead her soldiers according to the wiki, which would mean she’d need armor. There’s a “myth” around her and her ladies dressing as Amazons during the crusade…

2 Likes

@EliseCeri I figured it was irrelevant considering your original phrasing. I just didn’t know if we were making connections to birds or not. (Since we matched the Swallow with Omar Khyam)
@MissEvans Good idea! I’ll look into it…

2 Likes

@WarriorRose OHHH i see no, i wish i’d found a connection to birds though!! that would be super helpful

@Nimueh I missed that, that’s actually a really good find. I’ll look into that more!

2 Likes