Castle of Vines: Overview

This is repost of the overview in the other thread, but might make this easier to be one place to discuss how we want the overall ‘Balihouse’ to look and feel.

General Description / Possible history

Balihouse sits on the border of a verdant forest and wild jungle. (I did this cause half of us describe the environs as forest, half as jungle.)

Balihouse clearly has a man made component, as the entry through a door brings people into a room, I call the Entry Hall. We also have a giant tree seen in the picture for the Castle. (I use ‘Castle’ to describe the Balihouse entirely, tree, entry Hall, basement, etc.)

My thinking is the first Balimora built a building to be a base near the great tree they found here. A proper Castle. However, either time, magiq or both happened and the tree grew larger and larger eventually encompassing most of the building. In my mind now maybe only 1/4 or 1/5 of the original building is visible from the outside world, mostly just the ground floor. There are doors and windows there to the outside world on some walls, and that’s the primary access most people use to go from the Door, into Balihouse, and then out into the wilds are through these doors in the Entry Hall.

This would allow us to have things like hallways in the tree, maybe the tree as it grew even took and moved entire rooms or hallways to different parts of the tree. This also allows us to have a lot of ‘lost’ rooms in parts of the tree we can find later.

I figure this can give everyone what they want, a tree house, a bedroom, a campsite next to the tree, a hut nearby, a sub-basement etc.

10 Likes

A way I imagined the rooms was with maqic. Because everyone feels comfortable in a different way, maybe the rooms would reflect what makes you most comfortable. And because of this, they view from the window could be anything. Let’s say that the Castle of Vines is connected to every tree in Neithernoor. Any view from a tree can be turned into a view for your room.

11 Likes

I love this idea. So I could have a view of an island setting, and someone else could have a view of snowy mountains. That’s especialy handy as some of these rooms may be entirely within the tree so they’d have no ‘real’ windows to the outside.

9 Likes

When I first read about the castle of vines my first thought was that it was very similar it the Ents homes in Lord of the rings. My envisionment consisted of halls and rooms that were not made by any hand but grown straight for the Great Tree. Such that the walls and ceiling are all closely packed roots or branches so as to exclude (mostly) the outside. Every hall twisted and turned and sometimes even changed should the Tree so choose. It’s ever growing ever changing and always chaotic due to its very nature.
Edit: I know this is way late

6 Likes

I’m not a Bali but when you brought this up I was thinking of like the Ewoks from Star Wars as in there is one main tree that connects to a bunch of others. Although I guess Wood Elves from the Hobbit would have been a better representation.

8 Likes

I love this! It’s like a giant, earthy “Room of Requirement” style Tree-Castle!
The way that plants “communicate” to each other (through root systems and pollen and stuff) might have something to do with how the Castle “learns” about other places, and people; like, if someone brings their cactus from home into the Castle, the cactus and the Tree can talk to each other and figure out the person’s likes/dislikes/aesthetic/etc… And then the Tree learns about deserts, and what being a houseplant is like, and wherever this person lives? Maybe there could be a slightly domesticated garden - ooh! Or a communal greenhouse at the upper juncture of where the Castle and the first Tree branches meet?

10 Likes

What If the sub-basement led to an underground river or lake? Maybe a cave system that has natural springs and showers. This is me thinking more on the practical side of things. Also it would be really cool if the trees foliage provided natural hammocks to sleep in near the upper branches? Just ideas! Love what you guys have thought of so far

10 Likes

Ooh, I had already been thinking about some sort of “introvert sanctuary room” hiding in the root system somewhere, but I hadn’t thought about a cavern or underground water system! I think it’s brilliant. How great would it be to need a silent re-charge, and be able to climb down into a dark, cool cave with ancient, moss-covered roots climbing through the craggy rock walls. The bubbling melody of water rushing over stone further off in the distance settling your troubled mind. You could climb into one of the dense vine nets and hang like in a hammock, or find a dense patch of moss and relax against the naturally chilled cave wall. Strange emerald and amethyst beetles fly in slow, wandering loops - the buzz of their wings creating a gently percussive rhythm to underscore the flow of the underground riverbed…

10 Likes

Yes! All the yes!

8 Likes

It could be an old part of the Castle Moat and outer wall!!! But over time and with Magiq the little moat created its own riverbed that stretches through Neithernor (and maybe eventually leads all the way down to the Lighthouse if anyone else thinks that might be cool… :sunglasses: or just meanders off into nowhere - people who follow it return changed and wild :ghost::tanabata_tree::vampire:)

8 Likes

It reminds me of the TV show called the river. It would constantly change and adapt and challenge the people who traveled it.
The river here could be the river of Chaos. Constantly changing itself and things around it in unpredictable and sometimes irreversible ways.

6 Likes

Oh wow, I love all of this! Especially the underground sanctuary! That sounds so lovely! I bet there’d be bioluminescent mosses and such down there, too.

I really like the notion of the River of Chaos. It would be perfect for various Hero’s Journeys, not to mention making for many mischief opportunities.

Plant sanctuary! We could bring plants there to rehabilitate and have chats. :seedling:

9 Likes

Aye the underground sanctuary has a lot of potential. Leigha and were going to go an expedition to see what was down there, but we never found the time. i was definitely hoping for bioluminescent moss.

And yes, I watched the River during it’s brief tenure and it’d be a perfect idea to work into Balimora lands.

9 Likes

(Got inspired reading the Thornmouth Guild thread and thought I’d try my hand at a more IW-style post - if there’s a better place for it than this thread, let me know and I’ll move/remove-repost it)

Hekate’s Entrance:
I had been ignoring it for months - the nagging little voice at the back of my head. ‘Go outside… get some fresh air… put your feet in the dirt…’ it told me. Stubborn Taurus that I am, I kept hiding inside, watching television, pretending the world outside my door didn’t exist. ‘Come play… be free… dance with the faeries…’ It almost broke my heart… Faery tales and folklore has always been a passion, but between a less-than-amicable divorce and a determination to finish my graduate studies, I had become jaded - I had “grown up” things to do now.
‘Once upon a time… One more time… Your story isn’t over yet Hekate…’
“Who?!” I pulled myself off the couch… Hekate was my favorite Greek Goddess. I didn’t know much about her except her domain; midnight, death, magic, chaos, the moon. Dark, beautiful, underrepresented realms… Why was my inner voice calling her name?
I slipped on my sandals, pulled my fluffy red robe tight, and stepped out into my backyard.
“Who’s there?” I could feel something not only watching me, but reaching into my mind, pulling at all the crevasses I had hidden my love of magic in…
‘This way…’
A blue jay darted out from the branches of my walnut tree, leaving a single feather in its departure. I moved to pick it up, but a breeze pulled it out of my grasp and toward the opposite side of the tree. I tried again… and again, and again! Each time pulling me further and further around the trunk until I finally realized… “My walnut tree… isn’t that big…” I took a step back and looked around. “Where… did my house go?” I was suddenly surrounded by a verdant forest; I looked up to the canopy and, though sunlight filtered in through the leaves, I could not see the top. I glared, silently accusing the trees of mocking my short stature. “Well… I guess I’m here… wherever here is…”
“Neithernor!” a strange, lyrical, whistling voice called out.
“Neither/nor what?” I queried, looking around for the speaker as I tied a double knot in my robe belt. “And who are you?”
“No, no. Not neither/nor. You’re in Neithernor. And I’m your Magiq guide,” out from a bush hopped the blue jay from before. It flared its wings and bowed its head, “Glad to finally have you here! What shall I call you?”
The nagging voice at the back of my head… I thought to myself, mentally rewinding the strange events of this morning and the past few weeks. “Call me Hekate,” I finally replied to the guide. The blue jay fluffed its feathers in what seemed like a pleased-with-itself manner and hopped a little way down the path, “Hekate, hm? Bit of a loner, I take it?”
I shrugged my agreement.
“But very curious… or else you wouldn’t be here.”
I tilted my head… it didn’t really seem like I needed to say anything for this strange visitor to carry on a conversation with me… in fact, it seemed to know me better than I knew myself! Our conversation carried on for a bit until finally, the bird hopped up onto a branch at eye level and it felt like it was staring into my very soul, “Would you like to make friends who will be unafraid of your inner Wild?”
I felt the capital W in the question and it took my breath away. I hadn’t been talking, but I was struck speechless nonetheless. The blue jay squealed a little melody to regain my attention and asked, “Would you like to find your place within the Great Chaos?”
I nodded eagerly, eyes stinging with longing for such a place and for such people.
“YES!” I shouted. I hadn’t meant to shout, but the guide was unshaken by my outburst. Another self-aggrandizing feather ruffle and the blue jay nodded, “You are Balimora, Hekate; and this is your guild.” The blue jay gestured through the branches toward the largest tree I’d ever seen… or trees? It seemed like this tree was made up of multiple species, all twisting and merging… one moment I thought I could identify a cluster of apples hanging from a branch, but then a breeze kicked up; when it settled the same branch was covered in small yellow blossoms… it couldn’t have been the same branch. I must be delirious - what else could all this be? What was certain is that one half of this behemoth tree was rooted firmly in the forest from which I looked out on it, and the other half seemed to be growing out from a lush jungle.
“Do you want to go meet your guildmates?” the guide asked me. I hesitated… this was crazy… too crazy… But I’d rather have this than be sane, I decided. “Yeah, I’d like that a lot!” As we climbed down through the thick brush I started recognizing strange shapes in the tree limbs - here, what looked like a staircase; there what could have been a stone tower; most importantly, the Castle Entrance. It looked like someone had carved a massive chunk out of the tree trunk to use it as camouflage for a fortress… or… no, it looked like the tree had overrun the castle walls!
“This is my stop,” said the blue jay as he fluttered up to the gate, emblazoned with a symbol of intertwined trees :balimora: much resembling this bio-structure, itself. “Tell Nimueh I say ‘hi’ when you meet her.” The blue jay darted off once more, my strange magiq guide in this new world… Nimueh… isn’t that from Arthurian Lore? I was about to try knocking on the gate when a creaky, wooden rumble reached my ears… The drawbridge lowered itself on thick, rope-like vines. As I walked across, I noticed pale, luminescent blue tendrils growing off the otherwise dark green pulleys.
“Balimora…” I smiled, crossing the threshold into my new haven. “I think I’m gonna like it here.”

10 Likes

Just gonna poke this thread since the anniversary for TDoC is coming up. Any new and fanciful ideas to add to our amazingly chaotic homebase?

9 Likes

We’re preping a new topic for each guild to discuss changes, so keep an eye out for it soon :slight_smile:

10 Likes

:cjheart:

8 Likes