Basecamp 34 Update - 1/16/20

If we were going to reverse Cataclysm and have Sabes go first with the aliquary with the rest of us giving it places to go (or the other way around), I think the lines serve a related but different purpose. The eight lines used on the 18 magiqal items last year were pledging power toward the one big thing, then released by the four lines Saberlane used to essentially pull the trigger.

Full reverse would have Saberlane using four lines to release the aliquary’s power, followed by everyone else using the other eight lines to guide some of that power to their items.

Prism of old power
Open yourself to this new age
May your memories and magiq
Be shared and multiply

…maybe?

11 Likes

Ooo okay that makes sense, and I really like that the phrasing speaks to the aliquary directly!

9 Likes

That’s a good point @Viviane. I haven’t been back to the station since the doors to Neithernor closed, and I would have to risk evading security again to get there. And if I get caught we miss casting tomorrow, which is a pretty big day, power-wise.

Do you think the well that is the Ackerly Green offices could be strong enough, or should I risk it?

@Ashburn, that’s clever.

14 Likes

Yeah, it is a lot of risk, especially when we’re missing so much information. Is the aliquary really tied to the station in some way? Does the station have enough power when the absence of free magic has basically cut off all of our known doors to Neithernor?

I’m currently leaning towards the idea that the office well would be the best choice (because in my mind the depth of a well trumps the past appearance of a door), but I might, might, revise that if we can definitively place the aliquary in that mysterious photo of you taken at the station, because of when that happened and why it would have appeared there.

EDIT: Also open to other locations that people think might have appropriate power/significance, but currently can’t think of any.

15 Likes

I’ve had the nagging feeling we were missing/forgetting and I realized, we haven’t mentioned Marty or Cags. We haven’t head anything from or about them since we found the door in the veil. Would we have enough time to reach out to them?

13 Likes

I do recall it mentioned that Marty was running around to a bunch of different locations per Lauren’s instructions (that sounded an awful lot like it could be priming the magiqal lines?), but I don’t think there were specific locations listed.

That said, we haven’t tried directly contacting him in a bit… @Marty.60, you able to get through yet?

14 Likes

I agree, Viv, I’d guess that the office is the best place for it. There might be other magimystic places like Central Park, but I’m not sure if they have the same power (or type of power) that we’re looking for.

And yeah, @Ashburn, that sounds great! So it would go:

Saberlane:

And then the rest of us would say:

Do we want to change the chant at all, or are we happy with what we’ve come up with (particularly @Amruneth)?

15 Likes

Okay. I’ll be ready. How does 9 AM Herman Standard Time sound, just to make sure everyone is up and ready?

I was just thinking today how magic and the lost books have been impacting me most of my life. From losing my memory with the '94 Mountaineers to my kids finding the Guide to Magiq, from my guardianship of Ackerly Green and Woolie briefly taking up residence in my head, to the lingering effects of the Cataclysm, the Book of Kings has been quite an age.

I don’t know if it was a cumulative side effect of a life of magic circling me, but there have been notable changes in me since the Cataclysm. It started with getting my past, present, and future tenses mixed up early on, (full disclosure, Catherine has been drafting most of my posts over the past few months as my symptoms progressed) and has recently escalated to recalling random memories and not knowing if they already happened or if they were going to happen. Like a sort of semi-permanent déjà vu. It’s also created the added issue of me being less and less connected to “now.” Deadlines, obligations, friends and family, they’ve all suffered for it. It feels like the magimystic equivalent of never being in the moment.

But it’s not all bad. When Ackerly Green came back to me, I was pretty lost in my life. And it gave me a purpose. Focus. A family of friends to join. And I’m so grateful, to the company, to you. And I’m ready to begin this new age together, doing what we do best.

I’m going to spend time with my family tonight, New Age’s Eve, as it were, but I’ll see you all tomorrow morning for the dawn of a new age. Not just to watch it, but to bring it into existence.

Never fear, and above all, wonder.

20 Likes

We’ll be with you, Sabes.

Hey BC33, be sure to post your verse when you’ve performed it. Also, post a description or photo of the object you’re using if you can. If any of them later become “magimystically inclined” because they were used in this spell, it would be good to have a record of them.

Imagine how much easier our lives would’ve been the past couple of years if someone had been keeping track of all this stuff. :eaves:

BC34 is on standby, ready to join our fellow Mounties around the world.

Here’s to the new age, fam. We’ll see you there.

20 Likes

Should we make a separate thread in preparation where we can post our verses and records of objects? I think it would be handy if we had a brand new thread cordoned off, with all the appropriate info in the opening post to check against when we each do our bit. (Also my panic and excitement are making me want to triple check and organize everything. Dang do I miss Endri right now.)

18 Likes

Same.

16 Likes

I think a separate thread is a great idea!

15 Likes

Quick question, and I might have missed it–are we doing this all at once or rolling out over the timezones? Need to know when to set my alarm for!

12 Likes

I don’t think we officially discussed that - thanks for the reminder! My instinct is that, given that we’re opening up a container of pure magic and we don’t know what consequences that will have (or whether anyone else knows about it), it would be best to get as many of our “seeds” as possible planted in pretty quick order once Sabes activates the aliquary in order to anchor/stabilize it. However, once we’ve gotten those initial roots set up, we can continue to pass that magic along through subsequent casters, so anyone who isn’t available right then for whatever reason can join in throughout the day to extend the seeding.

TL;DR - the more people we can get at 0900 EST, the better, but if you can’t make it then, any time after that during the day is also good and helpful. Sound good?

17 Likes

Works for me!
I’ll get all my stuff ready to go, then.

16 Likes

New casting thread is up! Head here in the morning to help us spread some magic. (And let me know here if I got anything wrong in the setup info or whatever.)

16 Likes

Looks good to me!

And I’ve got all my parts ready to go for tomorrow morning. :aetherdetermined:

15 Likes

I’m ready to go at 0900 HST tomorrow. Let’s make the world a better place :green_heart:

12 Likes

I’ll try to be there as soon as I can but I might have to be a late anchor…also…for those of us not particularly good at the writing part, does step 1 have to be particularly intricate? Would a simple story bit be sufficient, do we think?

16 Likes

Absolutely. Simple is good. See you all tomorrow.

17 Likes