A Letter from CJ: Community, Puzzles and What We’re Doing Here - Please Read

I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Please be careful in who you contact regarding this, specifically right now the gogetters and the coincidentally real Theodore Fallon in Pa. Unless you see multiple obvious references to in world stuff on their site, please assume they are a real person with no knowledge of this game.

If you have anything less than 100% confidence that a business or site is in game, ask the @Meta account in a private message.

In full disclosure, I’ll freely admit this kinda makes me a hypocrite, because I called 20 nearly random phone numbers in New York to try to find Brandon’s voice mail for fragment 4. I at least tried to be polite about the wrong numbers, and wrong numbers do happen fairly commonly. Accusing a random business person of kidnapping and coercing information out of kids is a whole other level. Not that anyone has done that yet, but we need to make sure it never gets to that level.

20 Likes

I appreciate you taking the time to address the community and firmly (but gently) steer us in the right direction. It’s important to create a safe, welcoming climate for everyone.

Sometimes, it’s very easy to forget you’re sharing this community with people who don’t think the way you do, or people who are younger, for example.

Absolutely, if you notice someone saying something that goes against the guidelines, you have the right to say something! It’s your company, and this is your baby! I don’t think what you’re asking for is unreasonable.

Thanks, CJ.

9 Likes

I come to the forums every day more than once, I don’t mind at all helping out. Of course, if anyone feels more capable I’ll gladly hand that responsibility over to someone else.

5 Likes

+1 to @Deyavi

7 Likes

Oh! and… if Endri, Eaves, Bash, Itsuki, or Marty attempt to steer you away from a plan or train of thought, listen to them. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Thanks for the notice, and @Robert the coincidental Theodore Fallon who also happens to be a mental health doctor was a hilarious coincidence. XD

6 Likes

Hilarious and unfortunate. Full disclosure, Teddy Fallon’s last name changed at the last minute for reasons and I only background checked the previous name. I try to be on top of that kind of thing but the one time I let it slip the character had a near-identical real life equivalent. :scream:

10 Likes

true it was very unfortunate, I know I’ll be double checking everything from now on.

5 Likes

Also, feel free to message me here, or on the Cabinet. Might help to have an “Errata” topic in the Cabinet when things like Fallon or Go-Getters come up in the future.

6 Likes

Yessir!

3 Likes

This was very important. It’s difficult for a community to keep its identity when there are so many new people being added to it. New blood adds energy (not a bad thing!), but that energy can go off the rails fast (could be a bad thing).

I love that you as a creator are so invested in this community that you do things like this, to make sure that it’s an awesome place from start to finish for all your readers. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, @CJB; You’re the writer I’ve always wanted to be.

10 Likes

Well, if it wasn’t obvious, I’ve got some Basecamp webpage open prettymuch all day. I’m becoming pretty invested in this place and all you people. So I just don’t want to be part of the problem, and I would rather see us all put back on-track than have this become something CJ didn’t intend.

8 Likes

Agreed.

4 Likes

I’m always here too, I may not post a lot that much anymore but I am always lurking

3 Likes

Thank you CJ for this post! I think reminding everyone of why we’re all here was super important and I really appreciate your guidance on the matter.

I did have one question I wanted to ask - are there ways as players that we can offer more of a guiding hand to some of the newer folks? I definitely want to do as much as I can to make TMP more inclusive and if you have suggestions, that would be awesome.

10 Likes

@Revenir, just keep doing exactly what you’re doing in posts like this because it started people thinking/talking more about lore, implications, and narrative.

It’s a guiding hand to say that yes, there might be some sort of complication (puzzle) within this new bit of information but what’s going on in the broader sense and what does it mean for us and the rest of the characters? Posts like yours and the ones @Robert, @Ryvick, and @Brit made after yours help me tell a much richer story in the book than just “they solved the next puzzle.”

7 Likes

Good to know, asking more thoughtful questions is definitely a thing I can do! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As someone very new here, I can appreciate how it could be very easy for people to misunderstand the point behind The Monarch Papers. I was lucky enough to find the site on the day of the Memory Ritual, which gave me the chance to read through the entirety of Fragment 11 before watching and seeing the results. It was in seeing the entirety of the events, the puzzles and the story as it developed, that really hooked me. And since then I’ve read all of Fragments 9 and 10 as well.

For anyone else who is new, I feel like the best way to get a full appreciation of the vibes here and the general flow is by reading what’s happened in the past. And I hope that as new blood (myself included) continue to participate more with the veterans, we add a new set of helpful eyes to this exciting story.

14 Likes

Great advice @Ryvick, thanks for posting!

3 Likes

Thanks for putting this up!

3 Likes